Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bars/clubs in the city

• 06-12-2014 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

Im new in town, and might head out later

where do the 30something ladies hang out in limerick

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Nancy's Blake's. Tom Collins'. Flannery's (Catherine Street or Denmark Street). Maybe the Red Hen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Bentley's on O'Connell Street and Aubars/Paddy Frawley's on Thomas Street are probably worth a look too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

The Red Hen is a quite appropriate name because it's wall to wall with chicks every weekend.

I'l get me coat :D

The Red Hen is a quite appropriate name because it's wall to wall with chicks every weekend.

I'l get me coat :D

Good because that was terrible.

Smyths has a mixed crowd too. Avoid the Library

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Avoid Nancy Blake's. especially on a weekend. Total kip.

Mickey Martin's, Tom Collins, Curraghower, The Blind Pig would be my recommendations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

zulutango wrote: »

Mickey Martin's, Tom Collins, Curraghower, The Blind Pig would be my recommendations.

If it's such a kip why is it the busiest pub in the city? Personally not a big fan myself (it's too busy for me) but would hardly call it a kip.

davo2001 wrote: »
    If it's such a kip why is it the busiest pub in the city? Personally not a big fan myself (it's too busy for me) but would hardly call it a kip.

Perhaps 'kip' is the wrong word. But it's way too over-crowded and loud for my liking anyway.

There's a few reasons that make it so popular, I think. One of them is the large covered smoking area. Another is the herd mentality.

I actually don't know too many Limerick City people who go there any more. It's generally full of visitors and people who've come down from the mountains and surrounding region for a night out in Limerick.

I actually don't know too many Limerick City people who go there any more. It's generally full of visitors and people who've come down from the mountains and surrounding region for a night out in Limerick.

Rubbish. Plenty of Limerick people in there whenever I go in.

And "kip" is definitely the wrong word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

yeah its a very good bar and okay you might have the jocks and whatnot going in there but you also get the talent. Tis a bit of a mickeyfest everytime I go in there though.

Mc Love wrote: »
    yeah its a very good bar and okay you might have the jocks and whatnot going in there but you also get the talent. Tis a bit of a mickeyfest everytime I go in there though.

It used to be a pretty good bar, but it's nose-dived in the last 7 or 8 years, since Nancy herself died and the son took over.

It's a glorifed country pub, at best. Don't think the talent is too great in there, to be honest! But that's a subjective thing.

• Advertisement

Its too small for the size of crowd it attracts. The drink is overpriced and the layout is terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Perhaps 'kip' is the wrong word. But it's way too over-crowded and loud for my liking anyway.

There's a few reasons that make it so popular, I think. One of them is the large covered smoking area. Another is the herd mentality.

I'm sorry that is just too funny :D

I'm sorry that is just too funny :D

I was trying to be diplomatic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Its too small for the size of crowd it attracts. The drink is overpriced and the layout is terrible.

Bang on. Weekends are way too crowded. Uncomfortably so. No need to have it that packed. So much so, it ruins what could be a decent night out.

It's usually a cockadoodledo fest there as well.

There are good alternatives. Head to Flannerys up the road if you want a big bar type thing with more room to move.

No matter where you go, beware of men in Munster jerseys Guinness farting their way around pubs.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Bang on. Weekends are way too crowded. Uncomfortably so. No need to have it that packed. So much so, it ruins what could be a decent night out.

It's usually a cockadoodledo fest there as well.

There are good alternatives. Head to Flannerys up the road if you want a big bar type thing with more room to move.

No matter where you go, beware of men in Munster jerseys Guinness farting their way around pubs.

Decent choice of booze in flannerys too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭leakyboots

If you're into music Cobblestone Joes is usually busy at the weekends. I like Nancys but never go there on Fridays/Saturdays. Wednesdays and Sundays are good nights in there.

Depends what you're out for - Hard to beat Tom Collins/Mickey Martins for a good evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Yeah, Sundays are good in Nancys. Not too packed, but enough in there to create a decent buzz. But as mentioned the likes of Cobblestones are good too for music, and Flannerys up the road from Nancys. Similar type of vibe but more room.

Can't comment on Red Hen. I was in there once, and was blind drunk. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Am a 30something lady and concur with all the above. Upstairs in The Blind Pig (Speakeasy) is my favourite spot for a drink in Limerick. I also like The Copper room but more so for a quiet drink rather than to mingle with others.

I get dragged to Nancys every now and again and always end up going home early. Men are so rude in there. I don't know whether the guys there are doing some super lame revere psychology pick up artist thing, but I always get insulted without fail every time I'm in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

panda100 wrote: »
    I don't know whether the guys there are doing some super lame revere psychology pick up artist thing, but I always get insulted without fail every time I'm in there.
    Hopefully (?) just apes. That "sarging" craic is very very creepy.

Advertisement