Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Time Capsule not connecting to internet after power and ethernet being plugged out

• 06-12-2014 7:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭

I have a Time Capsule (one of the current shape ones) thats about 15 months old.

Recently I had a new router installed and also fitted a new switch that feeds the Time Capsule and some other stuff.

Yesterday I plugged out the ethernet connection and the power to the Time Capsule and when I plugged it back in the light kept flashing amber.

Airport Utility says it has 2 issues -

- it doesn't have a valid IP address

- it doesn't have any DNS server addresses

What does this mean?

How do I fix it?

This never happened with the old router and old switch so I'm guessing some setting needs to be changed.

Oh and I'm not as tecchie as many of you lot so please ignore any basic errors in what I've posted above and "should know" and also any stupid answers that may follow

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Try a factory reset.

Basically it means that its not been seen by the router as a device and thus you cant see it on the network

Could be the ethernet cable or the port on the router

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Type 17

Sounds like the Time Capsule (TC) was doing the routing, but the new router is now doing it, and so the TC is no longer set up correctly - it's easy to fix, but first, you should check that the Ethernet cable is plugged in to the TC in the right port - the one you want is one of the three LAN ones, not the single WAN one.

As mentioned, time for a factory reset - unplug, hold a pen in the reset button at the rear, and whilst still holding it in, plug it back in and wait around 5-10 seconds until the light starts blinking rapidly.

Allow it to finish booting, and then use the Airport Utility app on a Mac/iOS device/PC to set it up automatically. I'm presuming that you want the TC to provide Wi-Fi, so you should turn off the wi-fi on the new router. You should choose the option to Create a Network with the TC and follow the instructions.

Ask questions as required...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭Cerbera

A soft reset seems to have worked

I reset it a couple of days ago now and all is going ok so far anyway

Thanks for the help folks

Advertisement