Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extenuating Circumstances (Exams cancelled or postponed?)

Options
  • 06-12-2014 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi guys please help,
    My dad passed away this week. :(

It's been a horrible week but now I'm beginning to get anxious about exams.

I'm a 1st year commerce and German student and with all the continuous assessment I'm close to passing all 5 of my modules even before exams.

But I'm worried that if I get extenuating circumstances approval and the exams are postponed I'll just end up with a massive workload next semester.

Anyone know if I still have to go through with the exams or will they simply be cancelled for me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭DaisyFay

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/docs/extcstudent_g.pdf
    From this I'd say that you will have to make up the rest of the marks rather than just getting a grade based on the continuous assessment. Your marks from the work you've done already will be carried over however.
    The best thing to do would be to contact your programme office as soon as you possibly can, and see what they say the most likely outcome is.
    Whatever happens, whether you have all the exams next semester or not, definitely don't attempt the exams this week as you've too much to be dealing with already.
    I'm very sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 anna_k

I'm so so sorry that's just awful.

To be honest I wouldn't dream of sitting the exams next week. You really shouldn't be expected to. This is a terrible time for you and your family and you should just focus on trying to get through it. It's too difficult without exam pressure on top of it. I'm in final year and my dad passed away a few weeks ago. I came back to college more or less right away so I could start focusing on the christmas exams. I'd missed alot of college before that when dad was dying so couldnt afford to miss anymore. It's very very tough I'm not going to lie. I know that I wouldn't have been in the right mindset to sit them a week after his death, its very hard now a few weeks on. At least these exams won't count towards your final degree.

Do try and contact your programme office as soon as you can and just inform them of whats happened. They should be extremely accommodating, this is totally out of your control. They were for me anyway in helping come up with a realistic plan for the semester. I'm doing 5 exams now and 7 in the summer. The thing is, the final exams will have to be sat at some stage. Possibly all next semester, but your programme office will help clear that up for you. If I were you I'd focus on getting through the next few days and cross that bridge when it comes.

Make sure and look after yourself when you come back to college, and time will help I promise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

your dad would want you to finish the exams,
    you might have to stay back a year if you don't ddo them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

So sorry to here about your dad. Don't sit the exams now. Get in contact with Deirdre in the programme office when you feel up to it. She'll help you deal with the extenuating circumstances. If shes not there talk to the Quinn student advisor who's great help Again I'm sorry for your loss

Advertisement