Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Contributors to Devuan?

Options
  • 06-12-2014 9:15pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just posting to see if anyone is contributing to or intent on contributing to the Debian fork? I'm getting tired of the bítching and want to start developing what ever I can.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭excollier

I don't code, so I donated a small amount of money to the project.
    If they don't succeed it is effectively the end of freedom of choice in computing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I don't ever see my contributing, code wise at this stage. It would seem that the Community couldn't organize a píss up in a brewery, despite repeated called to get there shít together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

excollier wrote: »
    If they don't succeed it is effectively the end of freedom of choice in computing.
    I don't really want to derail this thread but SERIOUSLY?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Surely freedom of choice would have prevailed? If it fails people decided, freely, to choose an alternative.

Yeah, people also vote for politicians......

• Advertisement

Kavrocks wrote: »
    I don't really want to derail this thread but SERIOUSLY?

Ok, so you want to just use whatever Red Hat decide for you?? Ok, carry on. But don't expect me to roll over.
    Red Hat, the Microsoft of the Linux world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Yeah, people also vote for politicians......

Whats the alternative?

Itzy wrote: »
    I don't ever see my contributing, code wise at this stage. It would seem that the Community couldn't organize a píss up in a brewery, despite repeated called to get there shít together.

Thats very hypocritical.

syklops wrote: »
    Whats the alternative?
    I'm fairly sure we could function without them. it would sure wake them up if we could for a while.
    Any way, off topic, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Ok, so you want to just use whatever Red Hat decide for you?? Ok, carry on. But don't expect me to roll over.
    Red Hat, the Microsoft of the Linux world.
    Do you actually read what you write before posting? Your statements are nonsensical.

I'd love for you to explain how Devuan not succeeding is
    effectively the end of freedom of choice in computing.

Following that how am I going to be using whatever Red Hat wants me to? systemd is a piece of software not the apocalypse!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

syklops wrote: »
    Thats very hypocritical.

I understand that, but I'm willing to contribute to other projects, but the Devuan project seems to be taking an age to get off the ground and it's getting frustrating.

Itzy wrote: »
    I understand that, but I'm willing to contribute to other projects, but the Devuan project seems to be taking an age to get off the ground and it's getting frustrating.

The last update on the GitHub repo was yesterday. Did you mail them to offer your assistance? You don't need to code to contribute. There is QA, tech writing, web design and lots of other things you can do. Saying its taking them a while to get off the ground is a bit silly. Forking an entire linux distribution is no easy task.

I suppose, contributing in some way is better than nothing.

Advertisement