Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for great WWE documentaries

• 06-12-2014 9:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

Im looking for great WWE documentaries in the style of the recent Macho Man one.

Ones Ive seen already that I thought were great include; the Monday Night Wars. The Ultimate Warrior one where they decimated him. The Shawn Michaels, SCSA ones. The Wrestlemania Story.

Any more that are as strong as and along those lines?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Personally I really enjoyed the Shield documentary.

For all Mankind (Mick Foley)

The Heyman and Punk docs are popular but I dont know I found them overrated.

Also it's a tough watch but pick your poison (jake roberts) is very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

yup foleys is the best ive ever watched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really enjoyed Brian Pillman Loose Cannon.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

ricero wrote: »
    yup foleys is the best ive ever watched

I loved the WCW part they really hit on how DIFFERENT he was for the time. The ECW for how seminal his heel promos were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Honestly, if you thought that Story of Wrestlemania one was great, you'll be pleased to know a lot of them are a hell of a lot better both in terms of content and narrative.

Of the WWE produced ones I'd go with the Foley, Punk, Jericho, Jake, Heyman and Steamboat ones, and most of the ones about individual companies (ECW, AWA and WCCW spring to mind immediately, they've all got their flaws and biases, but it's interesting stuff nonetheless and they're the only guys with the footage to do it).

For non-WWE produced I'd go with Memphis Heat, the Backyard, Heroes of World Class, Forever Hardcore (just to compare contrast with the rise and fall of ecw) and Fake It So Real ...assume I don't need to mention Beyond the Mat and Wrestling With Shadows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

No love for the 2005 Bret Hart doc?

Edge's You Think You Know Me is worth a watch. The Road Warriors/LOD too.

For older stuff there is: Nature Boy Ric Flair, Born to Controversy: Roddy Piper Story, Superstar Billy Graham and The American Dream Dusty Rhodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

See if you can find one called The Mania Of Wrestlemania. It's a behind the scenes look at WM19 and was released as an extra on the WM20 DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Hashtag_HEEL

-CM Punk: Best In The World
    -Ladies and gentlemen, my name is Paul Heyman
    -Greatest rivalries: Shawn VS Bret
    -For all mankind (Mick foley)
    -Warrior, ultimate legend
    -beyond the mat
    -Wrestling With shadows
    -Triple H: Thy kingdom come
    -Wrestling Road Diaries too
    -Rise and Fall of ECW
    -The British Wrestler (All about Scottish wrestler Grado)
    -Insane Fight club (about Scottish promotion ICW)
    - Born to controversy: The Roddy Piper Story
    -You Think you know me: The story of Edge
    - Bret Hart: Best there is, best there was and the best there ever will be.
    - Degeneration X (1998/9)
    -The new and improved DX 2007

(Not really a doccumentary but the Sex Furgeuson shoot interview is hilarious)

And purely for the fact that it's loaded with s#!te

-Self Destruction of the Ultimate Warrior

• Advertisement

Andy_rse wrote: »
    See if you can find one called The Mania Of Wrestlemania. It's a behind the scenes look at WM19 and was released as an extra on the WM20 DVD.

Second this. I forgot about it but it's actually not bad for a behind the scenes thing.

-The new and improved DX 2007

Never seen it but if its about dx from that era I dont think I want to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

The Sheik. It was released last year independently and it's an amazing film, all about the legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Are most of these on YouTube? I don't have the network. Best way to view them??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Some of them might be.

Highly recommend forking out on the Paul Heyman DVD and the CM Punk one. 2 of the best WWE Docs have ever done.

Second Hashtag on Insane Fight Club the BBC Documentary, pretty sure it's on Youtube and the British Wrestler one is a Vice Documentary so it's free aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I third the Insane Fight Club Doc.

It's on the US & Candaian Netflix's and it is on YouTube.

Never seen it but if its about dx from that era I dont think I want to.

Yeah it's all about the second run. I enjoyed it. Bit of a laugh in parts

There are some WWE docs and DVD comps on the American Netflixes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

Andy_rse wrote: »

I think its on either Canadian or US Netflix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

The warrior documentary on the network is the revised one after he died isn't it? It's not the same one where everybody basically gives out about him, don't want to watch it if it's basically a love in now he isn't around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

There was one made while he was alive, which had him talking about each stage of his career in between clips of matches and full ones as well. Then there was a thing after he died.

There's one of him filmed over wrestlemaina weekend talking about coming back and all of the highlights and lowlights of his career (including meeting with Trip, the self destruction DVD and he and vince at the hall of fame.)

Definitely recommend. If the book story with vince doesn't touch you you've no heart :P

There's one of him filmed over wrestlemaina weekend talking about coming back and all of the highlights and lowlights of his career (including meeting with Trip, the self destruction DVD and he and vince at the hall of fame.)

Definitely recommend. If the book story with vince doesn't touch you you've no heart :P

A great, great documentary. It was on Youtube for a time after it aired.

Came across this tonight!

Also it's a tough watch but pick your poison (jake roberts) is very good.

Jake's fall from grace was painted brutally in Beyond The Mat, a hard but vital watch. On that basis I'll try and find Pick Your Poison for a view.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Nigel McGuinness put his documentary up for free:

Really well worth a watch but my god it is depressing. Have had a lot to say about it in the past but I won't prejudice your opinion on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

In no particular order:

Heartbreak and Triumph The Shawn Michaels story.
    Edge documentary.
    The Monday Night War (one that was released years ago, haven't seen the new series).
    Rise and Fall of ECW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

There was a really good documentary on Challenge TV I think it was recently about British wrestling. I saw William Regal tweet about it ahead of time. It was called something like Superheroes of Wrestling. Well made and very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

There's a doc on tonight on "Community", sky channel 539 called Supermen:British Wrestlers. Anyone ever seen it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0412919/?ref_=nm_knf_i2

Lipstick & Dynamite, Piss & Vinegar: The First Ladies of Wrestling.

This is a documentary on women's wrestling from around the 40s, 50s, and 60s. Concentrates on the likes of The Fabulous Moolah, Mae Young, and Penny Banner. Great documentary, quite surprised that it's ten years old at this stage, but because it focuses on the early days of women's wrestling it hasn't dated.

Advertisement