Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semester 2 Social Justice Elective

Options
  • 06-12-2014 9:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi, has anybody taken Social Justice Movements as an elective module? I'm a 2nd year science student and have only previously taken language/science electives. I'm really interested in the topic but it is a stage 2 social justice module with essay styles I'm not used too.. Is it advisable for me to take it? Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I've done 2 Social Justice modules so far, just not the one you've mentioned. However, they all share a common-enough format. I wouldn't worry too much about the essay as a lot of the continuous assessment throughout the semester will be gearing you up for it, and any problems arising will have long since been dealt with by then.

They seem to pretty straight-forward as a whole, and assume no prior knowledge. Well, as far as level 2 anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Did 3 of these as electives (I did politics) and got A's in them all. Just pick a first year one, attendance is usually 10-20% and the assessment is easy as.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 jigsaw_ape

Yeah, the problem is I have timetable clashes with some of the 1st year ones and I'm more interested in the 2nd year ones for semester 2. I might give it a go but i'm just concerned that 2 year ones are a big step up from the level one modules and I don't want to be under too much pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Level 2s are just more detail not more diffcult, and none of the level 1s are pre-requisites for that reason.

jigsaw_ape wrote: »
    Yeah, the problem is I have timetable clashes with some of the 1st year ones and I'm more interested in the 2nd year ones for semester 2. I might give it a go but i'm just concerned that 2 year ones are a big step up from the level one modules and I don't want to be under too much pressure.

From my experience they were really standalone modules, you didnt need any prior knowledge of the topics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Has anyone here taken SSJ10060 - Inequality in Irish Society? I'm doing it next semester, and just wondering what to expect.

RayM wrote: »
    Has anyone here taken SSJ10060 - Inequality in Irish Society? I'm doing it next semester, and just wondering what to expect.

Yeah I did it it was grand. When I did it it was 20% attendence, 30% for a 500 word midterm and 50% for a 2000 word final essay. Theres a load of different topics and you can basically ignore the ones you dont want to do your final essay on.

Advertisement