Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitness help for soccer.

• 06-12-2014 10:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I've posted this in the health & fitness forum but I thought it would be applicable in here as well (if not apologies mods)

I play football (soccer) and despite being half way through the season I'm still struggling with my fitness and its effecting my game.

I find it extremely hard to finish out 90 minutes and even a couple of 10 / 20 yard sprints early in the game would leave me gasping.

I do train with the team ( twice a week) and twice on my own. It might be maybe 2 gym sessions, or 1 gym session and 1 session of sprints and hill sprints etc so its not as if I'm not training.

What can I do to make sure I can get through the 90 minutes with ease? What should I be doing?

Help me. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Danye

tastyt wrote: »
    It's hard to say. If youre actually doing hill sprints then your recovery after a few dashes in the game shouldnt be too bad. All I can think of with this one is maybe your resting for too long between sprints and not working the system that needs working.

The fact your training so much I'd seriously have a look at my diet and what I'm eating before games and in general and maybe if your carrying some excess weight??

Thanks for the reply.

No its sprint up, walk down and go again.

I've lost weight, and I could probably drop a bit more bf but I'm in relatively good shape. I'll maybe have another look into the diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Danye wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

No its sprint up, walk down and go again.

I've lost weight, and I could probably drop a bit more bf but I'm in relatively good shape. I'll maybe have another look into the diet.
    You sound to me to be lacking stamina. Hill sprints or any sprints for that matter are not a lot of use if you dont have a proper base to set them up. A "long" run in the week at an easy or moderate effort level may be what you need. A long run to posters on this forum might be 20 to 50 miles or longer but to you it may be 15 minutes or a half hour. Even sprinters run long in off season to give themselves a base for peak training. A lot of soccer/football training now is sprint and power based but you need endurance for any event that lasts 90 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Yep a 20 minute run each week would help the aerobic side. I'd also look at some speed endurance work. Something like 5x300 with 3 mins recoveries.

Advertisement