Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Centre at Christmas Time - something to be proud of

Options
  • 06-12-2014 11:49pm

I spent some of today in Dublin City Centre, it was really great :)

I will admit to liking Dublin anyway having lived there for a few years in my younger days but I was genuinely impressed by Henry Street, O' Connell Street & Grafton Street (didn't go anwhere else except the main shopping centres).

As a visitor to the Capital I felt the place was great, I'd struggle to see how any tourist or indeed local couldn't be anything but impressed.

The weather was smiling too of course.

Coffee for €1.25 in the Londis/Subway on O'Connell Street too :D

No where's perfect but there's plenty positive things to focus on with our Capital.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

did you buy anything

braddun wrote: »
    did you buy anything

Lol.... I did to be sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

You should have gone an little further afield and tried a few independent shops instead of just the high street a lot more interesting stuff there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I disagree, took me twenty minutes to get up grafton street to mercer street at 4pm, would have turned me off spending money if that was why i was in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 23,723 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Dublin City Center is something to be ashamed of year round, not just at Christmas. Absolute embarrassment.

Unless of course rampant begging, derelict buildings, broken footpaths, potholed roads, junkies, drunks, homeless, vandalism and feral scumbags are to your liking.

It's a kip and it is about time everyone opened their eyes to the fact it is a kip. Otherwise nothing will change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

No need for anyone to change your imaginary city; you're quite entitled to rail against windmills, just as others are quite entitled to point out that doing so is more to do with your own entertainment than anything related to the real world.

I'll be looking forward to a visit to another pot-holed, derilict, drunken, beggar and junkie-ridden, fantasticly great city; New Orleans. Sometimes being a bit of a kip is nothing to be embarrassed by, but rather it's an intrinsic part of the appeal of a place.

Dublin City Center is something to be ashamed of year round, not just at Christmas. Absolute embarrassment.

Unless of course rampant begging, derelict buildings, broken footpaths, potholed roads, junkies, drunks, homeless, vandalism and feral scumbags are to your liking.

It's a kip and it is about time everyone opened their eyes to the fact it is a kip. Otherwise nothing will change.

jimmii wrote: »
    You should have gone an little further afield and tried a few independent shops instead of just the high street a lot more interesting stuff there!

I was after a nice bottle of whiskey which I got in that shop next to the whiskey museum & I wanted to have a look at the preowned watches in Dawson street jewellers so I didn't wander too far. My little wander had somewhat of a plan to it, wouldn't be a huge shopper/browser :)

To address the anticipated comments re junkies etc..

There was some begging... There were some junkies, two crossing the road linking arms by o Connell bridge were particularly noticeable. I saw more folk collecting for homeless people than actual beggers or addicts.

Also, over 10 years on, that spire is still class imo :D

I posted my comments as there is quite a bit of negativity about Dublin in the news currently, no where is perfect as I said :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,321 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Do you ever stop? If you are living here, leave, don't let the door hit you on the @rse on the way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Augeo wrote: »
    I was after a nice bottle of whiskey

Ahh the whiskey goggles are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Dublin City centre is an utter kip all round and I avoid it as much as I possibly can all the time. It's got much worse in recent years. If I have to go there I plan to get in and out of as quick as possible.

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    Do you ever stop? If you are living here, leave, don't let the door hit you on the @rse on the way out.

Typical attitude. All people pointing out reality must be shut out and told to get lost.

It's the low standards people have for Dublin that gets me most. The city center is not in an acceptable condition. It is run down, run by feckless councillors that don't give a damn, under policed, badly planned and over run with undesirables.

If your ambition for the city is met with that then fair enough.

I think it is completely disgraceful and huge damage is being done to not just our tourism and image but that of the country to.

And something needs to be done about it.

The city is not managed or run properly and it is as simple as that. It is a national embarrassment.

Typical attitude. All people pointing out reality must be shut out and told to get lost.
    Those propounding nonsensical claims have as much right to stay as the rest of us, but their nonsense needs to be highlighted all the same.
    It's the low standards people have for Dublin that gets me most. The city center is not in an acceptable condition. It is run down, run by feckless councillors that don't give a damn, under policed, badly planned and over run with undesirables.
    It's the half-baked delusions that get me most. Those 'undesirables' - got a plan for where they should be transported to?
    If your ambition for the city is met with that then fair enough.
    My ambitions for the city are to solve actual, rather than fictional problems. I'm quite happy to constrain myself to reality.
    I think it is completely disgraceful and huge damage is being done to not just our tourism and image but that of the country to.
    Tourism is thriving in the city. Tourist feedback on the city - even that hellish O'Connell street, is more than positive. Have a gander at tripadvisor.
    And something needs to be done about it.
    If 'it' is your list of personal bugbears, then not really.

The city is not managed or run properly and it is as simple as that. It is a national embarrassment.
    It's pretty much par for the course in the management of anything in this country - which reflects our national strengths and weaknesses.

I don't care what delusions of grandeur you have about Dublin. You are in denial.

I have got plenty of feedback from visitors and they are very disappointed.

No talking to you.

I don't care what delusions of grandeur you have about Dublin. You are in denial.

No talking to you.

If your 'feedback from visitors', however 'plentiful', is as based in reality as your list of complaints, then I can see the pattern alright. Meanwhile those tripadvisor reviews are open for all to see. There's no crisis in Dublin tourism - quite the contrary.

There will be a crisis. Word gets round.

If you make a policy decision to under police your city, have it over run with junkies, attractive to hen and stag parties and leave it in disrepair and badly maintained we will get everything we deserve.

There will be a crisis.
    No there won't. Sorry to disappoint.
    Word gets round.
    About Henny Penny scaremongering?
    If you make a policy decision to under police your city, have it over run with junkies, attractive to hen and stag parties and leave it in disrepair and badly maintained we will get everything we deserve.
    A thriving tourism revenue stream, increasing year on year? How awful!

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/tourism-ireland-expecting-record-number-of-overseas-visitors-next-year-1.2020590

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

No talking to you.

You have been warned more than enough times about soapboxing, sweeping generalisations, trolling, attitude to other posters, ignoring mod instructions, generally ruining every thread you post in, etc. This is going to stop one way or another.

Do not post in this thread again.

Dublin City centre is an utter kip all round and I avoid it as much as I possibly can all the time. It's got much worse in recent years. If I have to go there I plan to get in and out of as quick as possible.

Take note of the charter item on sweeping generalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I think the city has a great Christmas atmosphere, loving all the decorations. Are the circle moving lights in the trees on O'Connell Street new? I think they're pretty cool. Don't remember seeing them last year. The big tree looks great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Augeo wrote: »

Coffee for €1.25 in the Londis/Subway on O'Connell Street too :D
    Rather you than me lol :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Like all cities Dublin has its seedier side. Great to spend a day and soak up the Christmas atmosphere in the city at the mo - at least that's what I see. We really are lucky to have so many places to go and lots to see without having to spend a lot. Museums, libraries, art galleries, markets and pubs - all free to visit. Love Dublin at Christmas :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

athtrasna wrote: »
    I disagree, took me twenty minutes to get up grafton street to mercer street at 4pm, would have turned me off spending money if that was why i was in the area

Any sensible person would use the side streets that are parallel i.e. Clarendon St. or Dawson St.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

athtrasna wrote:

I also agree with you, I study near Henry street, and trying to get from there to O'connell street to get the bus is a total utter nightmare!
    at 4pm, I leave, and from the Mary Street area, to o'connell street, (stupidly) walked through Henry street last week and took 20 minutes, and a hell of a lot of elbowing and jumping over bloody buggys.
    Abbey street and Parnell street has gotten nearly as bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Are people really complaining that the city is too busy now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I went to Prague years ago, amazing and beautiful city. Would go back tomorrow if I had the chance, however while I was there, I had money stolen, was harrassed by both hookers and drug dealers. One of the lads was punched in a bar needing stitches and another had his wallet stolen. Most big cities have the same problems.

Dublin's biggest problem is rampant homelessness, that won't be solved with emergency accomadation, the begging, addiction issues, muggings are all symptoms of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip to Dublin OP.

I'd Swiss friends arrive on Thursday for a five day stay.. Despite the warnings one of them got mugged on O'Connell St at noontime on Friday.

Be safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

drumswan wrote: »
    Are people really complaining that the city is too busy now?

The shoppers weren't the problem, the street performers were

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

athtrasna wrote: »
    The shoppers weren't the problem, the street performers were

Well hopefully when the new bye laws come in then it won't be so bad. It does get a little crazy out there at times!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Are those stalls up as usual in Henry st?? Bloody things are a noosense with all their tacky crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wonderboy76

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Are those stalls up as usual in Henry st?? Bloody things are a noosense with all their tacky crap.

Yup, they seem to funnel most footfall bewteen the stalls so walk up/down Henry St BEHIND them, it's much easier.

You will however miss all the comical knock-off Frozen merchandise of badly printed T-shirts, random toys with a Frozen logo stuck on them and any old doll stuck in a poorly reproduced Frozen box. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,495 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I love town I stayed in a hotel in temple bar last week as it worked out cheaper that getting a taxi home, had a great time did a small bit of shopping, went to Kehoes for an afternoon pint Friday afternoon and too packed for my likening. I got hassled by a beggar looking for changer and there is a lot of homelessness. The restaurant trade is very comparative in Dublin and therefore very good value and of a very high standard. Dublin has an lot to offer in terms of culture and night life and as a bonus its a very walkable city.

Advertisement