Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

B.C.A.A's, what are the best brands?

• 07-12-2014 12:08am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33

Thinking of supplementing with these. Anyone who has been taking these for a while that could offer some advice on brands and what they think since using them would be appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

When it comes to BCAAs the cheapest option is by the far best option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Used them if I trained fasted. No difference noticed. A half decent whey will have BCAAs anyway.

But if you want to get them you won't go too far wrong with somewhere like MyProtein

I bought some for fasted training also and found no benefit either. There is no real evidence to suggest that BCAAs are of any benefit at all, so if you do decide to get some, you should probably get the cheapest as they will be equally as ineffective as the more expensive ones.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Funtrepreneur

I bought some for fasted training also and found no benefit either. There is no real evidence to suggest that BCAAs are of any benefit at all, so if you do decide to get some, you should probably get the cheapest as they will be equally as ineffective as the more expensive ones.

I use promax extreme protein which contains an amount of bcaas. I just thought it might be of benefit to use an extra dose. Maybe not.

All the evidence suggests that there is no benefit to BCAAs as a stand alone supplement, especially when you have adequate protein intake and even more when ingest a high quality protein like whey powder. I still train 'fasted' but I take a scoop of whey and water instead of BCAAs. I can't envision a scenario where BCAAs would be of benefit to you but is there a specific reason you were thinking of using them? Maybe we could help you there. If you were just getting them because you thought they were effective I wouldn't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Funtrepreneur

All the evidence suggests that there is no benefit to BCAAs as a stand alone supplement, especially when you have adequate protein intake and even more when ingest a high quality protein like whey powder. I still train 'fasted' but I take a scoop of whey and water instead of BCAAs. I can't envision a scenario where BCAAs would be of benefit to you but is there a specific reason you were thinking of using them? Maybe we could help you there. If you were just getting them because you thought they were effective I wouldn't bother.
    No just thought they might be useful as an additional supplement

No just thought they might be useful as an additional supplement

Well of the few pieces of research I've seen that show a benefit to BCAAs they only show a very slight benefit and it is in the absence of other protein sources, so it's only applicable if you don't use any other protein supplements. It may also help to think of BCAAs as a 'bad' protein source, like peanut butter or something, lots of protein but not all the amino acids you need. So just thinking about it there is no way a stand alone BCAA supplement is going to be as useful as a purer whey protein powder as it has all essential amino acids as well as BCAAs.

I use whey protein, creatine (when I have it), caffeine, omega 3 oil and vitamin D3. All of these are beneficial but as much as I don't like to say it the most beneficial to me is the caffeine. All the creatine and whey in the world is no good unless you can get good workouts in, and caffeine will help with that after long shifts at work, straightening up after night shifts, hittin weights after football, allowing you wake up faster after getting out of bed etc. Obvioously this is a crutch and in a perfect world you wouldn't need it but it is what it is I suppose.

Anyway, there are some of my views on supplements if you're intent on getting some!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

The only supplements which have alot of evidence backing their claims are whey, creatine and caffeine, and even then none of these are 'needed' if your diet is on point. Protein powders are convenient, have BCAA's in them, and are a lot cheaper per kg than BCAA's. I'd just stick with the Whey if I were you, some people like to use Amino Acids on a cut but they're not really necessary if you're getting lots of protein in.

Advertisement