Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Sea

• 07-12-2014 1:08am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Just got back from this and I have to say that I really liked it. It's a claustrophobic thriller set on a submarine. The trailer has it billed as a horror of some sort.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Wasn't Kurt Jurgens in a BETTER ONE?

I have liked THE ENEMY BELOW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I liked the feeling of being trapped alright. That's about the only thing I didn't think was meh though. Any film like this is always going to have its work cut out to make us care about the characters that comprise the crew. In this regard I was so unbelievably indifferent I felt in the same mental state as twilight. This movie isn't twilight, it's much much better than twilight but... I just didn't care. There's one particularly terrible piece of exposition where one crew member needs to find out about another crew member becoming a parent just so the film can enforce the plot that this guy cares about that guy (who you just know something bad will happen to) -and you should too. It's cringe. It wouldn't be out of place with that scene in mega shark vs giant octopus where a nervous flier randomly tells the flight attendant he's getting married next week. In that movie fair enough you don't expect much. In this one you, pardon the pun, expect more depth.

Don't get me wrong this isn't bad, I just felt that I had there been a crew to care about it could have been so much better. As it was I didn't care about any of them because of that the tension the movie attempted to create was probably significantly weakened for me. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

when was the release? can't find it at any my local cinemas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

when was the release? can't find it at any my local cinemas

It was Friday.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Thought it was enjoyable enough. Not the best submarine film ever but had it's moments. Agree that the dialogue and contrived parts of the plot were heavy handed. Felt like it was trying to cram in too much into the 2 hours and spread itself too thin. The first half hour all about Jude Law's character getting sacked, his wife and kid, the job setup was all given too little attention for the audience to really care about it later on and too much attention in that it took focus away from what the film was really trying to depict, claustrophobic submarine conditions and the tension and conflict between the characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

The movie was decent but kept from greatness by a serious screw up which I can't believe was overlooked
    Fraser murdering Blacky - it made a mess of everything he did afterwards like feeling guilt snouts Peters, hesitating in killing the mechanic and his stance on the gold being aboard. If he has accidently killed Blacky okay - but deliberately

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

Got to see it thought it was very good better than the only other submarine film I've seen which was the Hunt for the Red October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

pro-tip don't invite a
    pyschopath
    onto your sub

whole film fell on his actions if they tried to develop those outcomes more organically this might have worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

pro-tip don't invite a
    pyschopath
    onto your sub

whole film fell on his actions if they tried to develop those outcomes more organically this might have worked.

That's exactly what I thought.
    Law's character even calls him a psycho when putting the team together. You can write the rest of the story yourself after that.

It did tend to cover all the areas associated with this kind of film, which was a little annoying. Law's accent was a bit odd at first, but I got used to it, so it didn't bother me.

Otherwise, I thought it was a decent submarine film. Kept me entertained, but won't be watching it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I didn't expect much from this but really enjoyed it. Tension was kept high throughout. My kind of popcorn movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I've only just seen this film. Well made, and a genuine thriller.

Unfortunately I find it hard to (pardon the pun) immerse myself in a drama that appears to depend on violating or ignoring the laws of Physics, especially since it uses science to develop the story.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the final plot twist in particular seems to disregard Archimedes' Principle.

Advertisement