Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boarding Advice

• 07-12-2014 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Guys,

It looks like I will have to work abroad for two months next year sometime. I have my dog which causes a bit of a nightmare regards who I can get to mind him, not the fact I don't want to leave him. My option regards family or friends to take him are limited. So I think my only option available it boarding kennels. Can u advise if they even take dogs this long. Obviously want the best care and will check them out etc. just was looking for feedback, has anyone left their dogs with a kennel for so long. Did it upset their dog. Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Where are you based and what size/breed do you have? Longest I left my dog was for 3.5 weeks and I left her with a home boarder, not in kennels. Someone here should be able to recommend someone similiar in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Cato2605

Hi sorry he is a little terrier small no trouble at all. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I'd be looking for a home-boarding set up too.

Where are you based? There's a couple of good options on the east coast that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I have two small dogs I leave with a home boarder for that amount of time every year. I don't worry about them. I know they are happy. They JUMP out of the car with happiness when I drop them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Cato2605 wrote: »
    Hi sorry he is a little terrier small no trouble at all. Thanks

Where are you, I have some in Mayo and one in Drogheda I can recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

I had to leave most of my dogs in kennels earlier this year for 5 months, although broken into 3 different chunks, the longest time they were in was 2 and a half months. Probably different, as mine were together, it was in England and I chose a kennel that is very experienced in the breed, which added a 5 hour drive onto my journey each time, but well worth it, they all coped very well, and would jump out of the van to go in when we arrived each time.

I'd suggest that if you find somewhere you like, you put the dog in for a couple of overnights or weekend stays so that he gets to know the place, and feels comfortable for when he goes in for his long stay.

Advertisement