Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Findlater St, Stoneybatter, D7

Options
  • 07-12-2014 7:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

We are a couple who are expecting a baby who are thinking of renting a cottage in Findlater St, Stoneybatter.

Is anyone familiar with this particular road and surrounding areas who could advise whether safe to walk around at night?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Very quiet area and perfectly safe at night. Phoenix Park right on your doorstep. Only slight worry might be some of the cottages on Findlater Street have O'Devaney Gardens at the back of them. Hardly anyone living there now though. Can't think of any reason not to move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jackalberi

After being satisfied with the latest reply, garda have suggested not to move there. Now I'm confused 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Im a little surprised too with the response from the guards. Walk the dog behind the houses towards the flats and from my memory the back of the cottages has a huge 15ft steel fence along the back with spikes to stop people climbing over.
    the flats are relatively quiet, probably still get the odd stolen car skidding on the road there or people in the grassy park behind you.

Unless they are meaning house break ins? Is a quiet street

Did you not think of asking the guard why? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jackalberi

Garda were not too specific. Indicated that the road that the rental property is fine but surrounding roads/area not pleasant eg. petty crime such as theft, damage to property and o'Devaney gardens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

jackalberi wrote: »
    Garda were not too specific. Indicated that the road that the rental property is fine but surrounding roads/area not pleasant eg. petty crime such as theft, damage to property and o'Devaney gardens!

They could say that about anywhere in Dublin!

I've family in the area over 30 years who never had any problems.
    O'Devany used to be a problem but most of the residents moved out years ago.

There are still a few families there but even they want to leave.

There aren't many other places in Dublin where you can leave planters on the window sill without worrying that some idiot will smash them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

jackalberi wrote: »

Yeah, that makes sense. I think damage to cars is still not too uncommon ie scratches and wing mirrors being kicked off. However I think if you did have a car and parked it on your particular street it would be safe.

If it was me, I think I would go for it , if the house was nice and rent reasonable

a lot of the problems mentioned have quietened down somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I mean this in a nice way, but you'll just get conflicting reports here: on one side, people saying it's like downtown Kabul and on the other, students and/or locals defensively swearing it's the safest place in the world.

Walk around there late a night a few times to get a feel for it yourself, perhaps.

Everybody has different expectations and thresholds for what constitutes a safe area and it's hard to classify that on a forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

anncoates wrote: »
    I mean this in a nice way, but you'll just get conflicting reports here: on one side, people saying it's like downtown Kabul and on the other, students and/or locals defensively swearing it's the safest place in the world.

Walk around there late a night a few times to get a feel for it yourself, perhaps.

Everybody has different expectations and thresholds for what constitutes a safe area and it's hard to classify that on a forum.

How dare you say it's like Kabul....... It's more like Baghdad :)

But seriously, it's like everywhere in Dublin. There are elements who cause trouble but nowhere is 100% safe.
    As was said, take a walk around and see for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Yeah, I would be OK living there myself (OD Gardens being scaled down is a big plus) and I like the mix of Stoneybatter myself but everybody has different perceptions and expectations of inner city living.

Advertisement