Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your pets christmas

• 07-12-2014 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

How does your pet spend their Christmas? Do you do anything special for them?

Our day this year will be very laid back and sleepy I think. We often go for a hike or to the river but that won't happen this year. (We might get out for a bit of a long forresty walk on Christmas Eve but it's looking unlikely at the moment)

Our plan is looking like this:

Up whatever time we wake up (no idea what time that will be this year)

Quick walk and offlead run with my husband while I make brekkie.

Back for a hot breakfast for everyone. They will have their usual food with a bit held back and a sausage for the day that's in it.

Naps

Up and get dinner on then a family stroll to work up a hunger again while dinner cooks.

For their Christmas dinner they will have a big portion of chicken and probably some liver as well as some of our veg.

After dinner they will get their pressies in front of the fire. Most likely a Chew toy or tug rope - nothing squeaky!

Another nap

Short walk with my oh (maybe)

Crash in front of the tv snoozing, chomping bones and generally being cozy and comfy.

Previous years we've visited people with them which is always a bit stressful. Phoe is a social butterfly and loves it but Harley stresses. I've also worked Christmas morning some years and they would come with me. This year it promises to be a nice simple, easy, lazy day (for the dogs, maybe not my oh and I)

My cat will have the same day as he usually does. Food on demand. Bed on demand. Rubs on demand. Spot by the heater on demand.

So what'll your pets get up to over Christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Whispered wrote: »
    How does your pet spend their Christmas? Do you do anything special for them?

Our day this year will be very laid back and sleepy I think. We often go for a hike or to the river but that won't happen this year. (We might get out for a bit of a long forresty walk on Christmas Eve but it's looking unlikely at the moment)

Our plan is looking like this:

Up whatever time we wake up (no idea what time that will be this year)

Quick walk and offlead run with my husband while I make brekkie.

Back for a hot breakfast for everyone. They will have their usual food with a bit held back and a sausage for the day that's in it.

Naps

Up and get dinner on then a family stroll to work up a hunger again while dinner cooks.

For their Christmas dinner they will have a big portion of chicken and probably some liver as well as some of our veg.

After dinner they will get their pressies in front of the fire. Most likely a Chew toy or tug rope - nothing squeaky!

Another nap

Short walk with my oh (maybe)

Crash in front of the tv snoozing, chomping bones and generally being cozy and comfy.

Previous years we've visited people with them which is always a bit stressful. Phoe is a social butterfly and loves it but Harley stresses. I've also worked Christmas morning some years and they would come with me. This year it promises to be a nice simple, easy, lazy day (for the dogs, maybe not my oh and I)

My cat will have the same day as he usually does. Food on demand. Bed on demand. Rubs on demand. Spot by the heater on demand.

So what'll your pets get up to over Christmas?

Whispered that is the million dollar question in our house this year! It is the first year with our (human) baby :p we usually like you had to drive around visiting everyone but I think this year will we either only go to one house or stay at home! Either way the five of us will stay together :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Mine will be visiting. He'll pop round to see his girlfriend and give her his Christmas pressie. Then round to the relations. He'll go to his cousin's house, annoy him and chase the cat.

He'll be spoiled rotten with turkey and mashed potato - his favourites! :D

Then he'll go home and sleep the day off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

We're going to England on 22nd, and will be staying with my brother, so I anticipate lots of dog walks.

Lots of walking, Christmas day will be a long walk in the morning, and another one early evening, unless I arrange to go for a mush with some friends over there, which would be preferable to the walks, wear the dogs out easier. Stephens day just walks and then having a big family day. But then the fun really starts, the 27th and 28th is the trek we're training for. 22 miles in the morning, 10 miles at night on 27th and 22 miles again on 28th. We're then hopefully going on a walk with some friends on 29th - including a boardsie from Ireland who is also going to be in England - to a deserted village on Salisbury Plain, its used for army training all year round, but they open it up a couple of days a year to the public.

The dogs won't get any Christmas food, but will get treats and chews as they'll be in their crates a lot, but I'm hoping, with the amount of exercise they're getting, they'll be glad of the rest.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Millem wrote: »
    It is the first year with our (human) baby :p

Aww, first Christmas with baby must be lovely :)
    Which begs the question, because I see Whispered has artfully dodged the topic in the op, any sign of Baby Whispered yet? Or have I missed something? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I don't know what I'll do with mine this year. I'm spending it with my parents at my brother's house and he has a dog and children, so I can't really bring them there. I could leave them in my parents' house but then they'll be alone from lunchtime to late, so it looks like the best option will be asking my ex to take them. He'll be spending the day with just his mother so it'd be a nice quiet day for the dogs. I hate the idea of not having them with me on Christmas though; non-dog people just don't realise that it's a day to spend with our families and we include our dogs in our family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Millem wrote: »
    Whispered that is the million dollar question in our house this year! It is the first year with our (human) baby :p we usually like you had to drive around visiting everyone but I think this year will we either only go to one house or stay at home! Either way the five of us will stay together :)

Ours too! Exciting isn't it. How old is your human baby?

We've planned nothing at all except the laziness I mentioned.
    DBB wrote: »
    Aww, first Christmas with baby must be lovely :)
    Which begs the question, because I see Whispered has artfully dodged the topic in the op, any sign of Baby Whispered yet? Or have I missed something? :)

No sign yet, baby seems to be taking after his or her dad and is now 3 days late and seems as cosy as ever. That's why I'm hoping we will be able to go off for a bit of a hike but it might not happen. It could be as late as the 16th coming along so a week later I might still be feeling too sorry for myself.
    Mine will be visiting. He'll pop round to see his girlfriend and give her his Christmas pressie. Then round to the relations. He'll go to his cousin's house, annoy him and chase the cat.

He'll be spoiled rotten with turkey and mashed potato - his favourites! :D

Then he'll go home and sleep the day off...

THE CUTENESS! Pressie for his girlfriend :D
    muddypaws wrote: »
    We're going to England on 22nd, and will be staying with my brother, so I anticipate lots of dog walks.

Lots of walking, Christmas day will be a long walk in the morning, and another one early evening, unless I arrange to go for a mush with some friends over there, which would be preferable to the walks, wear the dogs out easier. Stephens day just walks and then having a big family day. But then the fun really starts, the 27th and 28th is the trek we're training for. 22 miles in the morning, 10 miles at night on 27th and 22 miles again on 28th. We're then hopefully going on a walk with some friends on 29th - including a boardsie from Ireland who is also going to be in England - to a deserted village on Salisbury Plain, its used for army training all year round, but they open it up a couple of days a year to the public.

The dogs won't get any Christmas food, but will get treats and chews as they'll be in their crates a lot, but I'm hoping, with the amount of exercise they're getting, they'll be glad of the rest.

That sounds amazing (very energetic!). How many dogs will you have with you?

kylith wrote: »
    I don't know what I'll do with mine this year. I'm spending it with my parents at my brother's house and he has a dog and children, so I can't really bring them there. I could leave them in my parents' house but then they'll be alone from lunchtime to late, so it looks like the best option will be asking my ex to take them. He'll be spending the day with just his mother so it'd be a nice quiet day for the dogs. I hate the idea of not having them with me on Christmas though; non-dog people just don't realise that it's a day to spend with our families and we include our dogs in our family.

That's so true. It doesn't feel like Christmas without them. We kennelled them one year when we were expecting loads of visitors (for the sake of Harleys sanity) and it was horrible. :(

No sign yet, baby seems to be taking after his or her dad and is now 3 days late and seems as cosy as ever. That's why I'm hoping we will be able to go off for a bit of a hike but it might not happen. It could be as late as the 16th coming along so a week later I might still be feeling too sorry for myself.

We expect to see photos of you striding out with bubba please, no excuses now ;)

That sounds amazing (very energetic!). How many dogs will you have with you?

8 or 9 going over, running 4 on the trek, so the non running dogs will be going on the walk on 29th. Unfortunately Bear would be a fantastic trek dog, but as he's a crossbreed, he can't take part with this particular organisation - which I understand, they exist to promote the breed, and I appreciate the hard work the organisers put into this event each year.

I can see myself spending a couple of hours each day sitting out in the van with the dogs, cup of tea, laptop with a DVD, it'll be just like being at home :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

We'll all most likely be up early, it's alli's first Christmas with us so I think she'll be a little over excited with so many people in the one room. My brother, his girlfriend and bump (who won't be here till January!) will be staying with us for Christmas. Moone knows how everything works now and always opens her own presents which I still have to buy! The cats probably won't care too much for their stuff but will be make themselves seen at dinner time! Gonzo will get some nice new chew toys and some rolling sand.

Both the dogs and cats will get some turkey and ham for their dinner as always, one of the cats actually likes roast potatoes so he'll have one of those. And we'll all probably watch the hobbit DVDs that I'm hoping some kind family member has bought me :D

muddypaws wrote: »
    8 or 9 going over, running 4 on the trek, so the non running dogs will be going on the walk on 29th. Unfortunately Bear would be a fantastic trek dog, but as he's a crossbreed, he can't take part with this particular organisation - which I understand, they exist to promote the breed, and I appreciate the hard work the organisers put into this event each year.

I can see myself spending a couple of hours each day sitting out in the van with the dogs, cup of tea, laptop with a DVD, it'll be just like being at home :P

Silly question, but is that really tiring for you too? Like are you on a bike or a scooter or, dare I say, a Christmas sleigh with bells and things :D

I'd say they love it.
    SingItOut wrote: »
    We'll all most likely be up early, it's alli's first Christmas with us so I think she'll be a little over excited with so many people in the one room. My brother, his girlfriend and bump (who won't be here till January!) will be staying with us for Christmas. Moone knows how everything works now and always opens her own presents which I still have to buy! The cats probably won't care too much for their stuff but will be make themselves seen at dinner time! Gonzo will get some nice new chew toys and some rolling sand.

Both the dogs and cats will get some turkey and ham for their dinner as always, one of the cats actually likes roast potatoes so he'll have one of those. And we'll all probably watch the hobbit DVDs that I'm hoping some kind family member has bought me :D

Sounds lovely and relaxing! Especially the Hobbit bit. That's out soon too in cinema isn't it. Might see if I can somehow fit it in.

Silly question, but is that really tiring for you too? Like are you on a bike or a scooter or, dare I say, a Christmas sleigh with bells and things :D

I'd say they love it.

Yeah, it is exhausting, especially for someone my age :p Its a 3 wheeled rig, and I scoot up hills with them, and walk if they get tired, if its really muddy it can be hard going for them, so my weight off the rig is a big help :D When I was training earlier this week I was so tired and cold that I was already scooting with my left leg, and went to take my right leg off the rig to scoot, thankfully I realised what I was doing, or would have face planted.

If we have snow we can't do the trek, as we don't actually have a sled :eek:

We're delivering Santa in Longford next Sunday on the rig, with bells and tinsel and lights at a dog rescue dog show :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Whispered, Human baby is 1 in January ;) and is dog mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I will walk my two whilst the turkey is cooking Christmas morning. It's a tradition passed down from my older dogs (sadly no longer with us) that we must search for berried holly for the christmas table centerpiece. It normally involves going off the beaten track and rarely involves ever getting berried holly.

This year I notice the holly berried early so I'll probably come home empty handed as usual! Dogs will get their pressies before dinner, they get truly excited about it and some dinner guests are too generous with the treats - so we normally have to put them away and it can take months to get through their stash. Squeaky toys! Are often confiscated too :)

Then after dinner their favourite meal of the year xmas dinner leftovers - another walk and game of ball, snooze beside the fire for the night. Actually not much different to any other day for them except the 'watching of the turkey'
    being lifted in and out of the oven - they just love that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

This will be our first xmas in 18 years without Pepper
    He used to sit guarding the turkey in the oven. He used to get the 'parsons nose' when the turkey was taken out of the oven. While it was cooling he used to start howling! I swear he remembered every year that it was his treat (he was food obsessed)
    His present had to be wrapped in many many many layers of paper - his tail would be like a buzz saw tearing thru it. There would be a bit of kibble in every layer.The moron younger dog looked on wondering what the hell Pepper was at.
    Pepper would then help everyone else open every single present. Teeth and nails were used, if we didnt hurry up! Our presents were always very dissapointing. Xmas day was a bit of a Pepper-centric day for some reason.

This year it will be a quieter day with just the younger moron dog and our new kitten. There will be lots of turkey and veggies for the dog/cat, veggies and potatos for the hens, carrots and licks for the horse. And a present for each of them. Walks will be had before and after the big meal, and some playing with Tux, who goes nuts when she sees the xmas tree so has to be kept out of that room
    (which reminds me I must look and see if any bargain scratching posts are to be had!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Sounds lovely and relaxing! Especially the Hobbit bit. That's out soon too in cinema isn't it. Might see if I can somehow fit it in.

It's out on the 12th I think, funny because my dad literally just came running in when he saw the trailer on TV wanting to go see it, I'm going with friends so he'll have to hang out with a few mid 20s year olds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VickieVexed

The day starts with our two going walkies with Daddy. Then they get to open some of their prezzies. Five minutes later, the remains of Alfie's first gifts will be collected for the bin (he's a toy terminator). They will have a nap in front of the fire, while I (gin & tonic in hand) begin to cook dinner. While we are eating, they will both have some turkey and then after dinner they will open the rest of their gifts.
    After that, we're all too stuffed to do much, so the evening will be spent relaxing in front of the fire. I love Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

We usually go to Tipperary as my OHs sister lives there and they've 3 kids (we've none) so it's way easier for us to go to them.
    My poor cats stay home for a night by themselves (inside) and the dogs will come with us. It's a family reunion this year though, because my OHs sister owns both Roisins mum and (now neutered, hurrah!) dad and all the kids will get to see her for the first time since she was about 4 months old (shes about 9 months now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

For the last few years I have been doing a charity swim in the lakes on Christmas, so he comes to that! Great fun, and there are always lots of other dogs there too!

Then after Christmas dinner my brother and I always go for a long walk with the dog. Mainly because we are never used to eating so much food and need to walk it off a bit :o Very few people seem to be out walking on Christmas day.

Funny story actually! My Mother and myself are vegetarians, so there is always loads of turkey left over after Christmas dinner. Two years ago my Mother and I were back at work on Stephen's Day, and my brother was at his girlfriend's place. So my dog was alone for a couple of hours. My brother came home anyway, walked in the door, and found a tiny bit left of the turkey carcass on the floor in the hallway, no meat at all left on it! My dog got into the fridge somehow, pulled it out, and ate the whole thing :o We were terrified that he had been damaged by the bones so we called the vet and all, was mad! He was fine though, thank God...We still don't know if he actually opened the fridge or if my Brother didn't close the door properly...

aonb wrote: »
    This will be our first xmas in 18 years without Pepper

He sounds great! Howling for the turkey. I'm sure there'll be some moments during the day that it feels wrong without him there, but I hope your younger dog and kitten give you something to laugh about!
    I love Christmas.

Me too, I'm so excited this year. Have you been to the Christmas Forum? Most christmassy place on boards (all year 'round!)
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    For the last few years I have been doing a charity swim in the lakes on Christmas, so he comes to that! Great fun, and there are always lots of other dogs there too!

:eek: Freezing?! Fair play to you. Does he swim too?
    Then after Christmas dinner my brother and I always go for a long walk with the dog. Mainly because we are never used to eating so much food and need to walk it off a bit :o Very few people seem to be out walking on Christmas day.

I know! For us it's a huge part of the day, our Christmas walk is usually so relaxing because the place is empty, it's nearly surreal. Although last year a local shop was open (we live in a small town) and it made a fair bit of difference to the atmosphere of the place. Not that I'd be complaining if I had forgotten to get something, but there is something a bit sad about a shop being open, I hate to think of people working on Christmas day.

(I sometimes work Christmas day but it is in a doggy place so my boys come with me and instead of a long walk my husband joins us when I'm finished the work and we have a play in the paddock, so it's not like work at all! Definitely not the same as being in a shop/office)
    found a tiny bit left of the turkey carcass on the floor in the hallway, no meat at all left on it! My dog got into the fridge somehow, pulled it out, and ate the whole thing
    :D:D This year will be such a let down for him. Unless you buy him his own turkey of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭nala2012

For christmas myself and my other half split up and go home, luckily home is just down the road! In the morning i bring nala to see the crazy people who swim in the sea after mass then we usually go to my sisters for dinner. This will be Bruces first christmas so he'll be joining us. I usually foster over christmas but dont think i'll be able this year as i now work in a shop so wont have much time off :(
    The hounds have a normal day and stay in their kennels while nelson goes with my boyfriend. All the dogs get a small breakfast as family don't know how to stop feeding them! And will have nice long walk after dinner. I usually call up to other half's family for a while and then we head home together.
    I don't really buy special presents for them but because we have no kids my nieces and nephews usually get stuff for the dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Shivi111

We have gone a little bit crazy... at the moment we are working through cat advent calendars...
    Our two cats will be woken up to christmas stockings (really) full of toy mice and treats and cat nip. Then we have normal breakfast with the added treat of some cat milk. Assuming the weather is okay they will go outside for a bit, come home and sleep until presents. We've got them some nifty new electronic toys, then a yummy dinner of duck and turkey, more playing, more sleeping. Happy people and happy cats!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Thankfully, no one has told our cats when Christmas is so it will be like any other day for them and they won't know the difference.
    We'll be out for most of the day but they have each other for company.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭dawnied

We are very lucky to still have my parents dog buster still with us for Christmas this year, he got out the other day for about half an hour and was attacked by something else.
    His kidneys were nearly ruptured, the vet says another 2mm and he wouldn't have made it.
    So now poor buster is going around with a big bald patch after his operation for Christmas in this cold :(
    Does anybody here know where to get a cheap Christmas jumper or something for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We normally get up super early, open our own presents, then let the cats in to the sitting room to open their stockings and go mental sliding around on all the wrapping paper. They then mooch around for the day sniffing at all the food, falling asleep on whoever ends up on a food coma on the couch (usually me :D) and getting their special turkey Christmas dinner and a bowl of cat milk each.
    My granduncle also comes out from the nursing home for a few hours for his dinner, but we are under no illusions, we know he only comes up to see the animals. He's so happy in the home the only way we can lure him out to spend time with the family is by bribing him with the cats, I know where I get my animal loving ways from now :D It's also the one day of the year my Dad lets my uncle's dog into our house, normally she's not allowed in but she would knock my granduncle if he went out to her or down to my uncles house because she's a leaner, so she's allowed in to visit where he is sitting down, and absolutely loves pulling a Christmas cracker with him :)
    Last year was different though, it was Dude's first Christmas and he was very sick so the whole day was completely disrupted with looking after him, didn't even feel like Christmas except for the dinner :P So it will be nice to have a normal Christmas this year :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

The boys are getting duck, veg with some home made doggie gravy for Christmas dinner

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Spaniel heaven

Outside dogs will be washed brushed etc and allowed inside, then I get to sit and laugh as they cause mayhem and upset our indoor dogs. Horses also get xmas hats and treats.

dawnied wrote: »
    We are very lucky to still have my parents dog buster still with us for Christmas this year, he got out the other day for about half an hour and was attacked by something else.
    His kidneys were nearly ruptured, the vet says another 2mm and he wouldn't have made it.
    So now poor buster is going around with a big bald patch after his operation for Christmas in this cold :(
    Does anybody here know where to get a cheap Christmas jumper or something for him?

Lucky fella!

I know penneys do christmas themed dog jackets but they're not very warm. For something warm you'd be better off going to a pet shop and having him fitted.
    My granduncle also comes out from the nursing home for a few hours for his dinner, but we are under no illusions, we know he only comes up to see the animals. He's so happy in the home the only way we can lure him out to spend time with the family is by bribing him with the cats, I know where I get my animal loving ways from now :D It's also the one day of the year my Dad lets my uncle's dog into our house, normally she's not allowed in but she would knock my granduncle if he went out to her or down to my uncles house because she's a leaner, so she's allowed in to visit where he is sitting down, and absolutely loves pulling a Christmas cracker with him :)

That's so sweet!

Enjoy your normal Christmas. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

dawnied wrote: »

Don't know what size your dog is, but have a look on eBay. They usually have some fairly reasonable. That's where I buy a lot of my dog bits from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Hooked

Don't know what size your dog is, but have a look on eBay. They usually have some fairly reasonable. That's where I buy a lot of my dog bits from.

TK maxx? Usually have dog coats, etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

The boyfriend and I go to our own homes for Christmas, and his house isn't pet friendly so Rocky comes with me to Donegal. We don't do anything mad on Christmas day, it's usually a lazy day watching movies and as he's only delighted to have couch cuddles with my brother and sister - they're 16 and 11 and absolutely love him.

Over the week in Donegal we'll get plenty of country walks in and running around the farm and go to the beach to kick a ball about which Rocky really loves - there are 4 or 5 beaches all within 15 minutes drive from my parents house. Compared to our own tiny garden here he's spoiled for space for a good run.

Also hoping to get a visit in at my bestie's house, she has a black labrador as well and we're dying to get them together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭AdFundum

Mine will be brought down the country - they will have a bit of the Christmas dinner but based on previous years, I think they will enjoy wrecking my bedroom and exploring all the new smells and new things to chew and destroy - my pets are rats by the way.

Advertisement