Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Showing someone from overseas around

Options
  • 07-12-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

I grew up in Waterford but have been away for nearly a decade.
    Im home for Christmas and Im bringing home my girlfriend to show her around.

I see that T&H doolans has now closed aswell as quite a bit else and Im concerned that I may not know my way around or where to show her the good spots.
    Can anyone recommend some stuff? Jack Meades will be a must and Reginalds tower tour etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Not sure if she'd be into museums, but I highly recommend you both you check out the new bishop palace museum and the medieval museum. Really entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Yes, she's very keen to check out historical museums and building etc.
    Will definitely check them out. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Chickentown

Hi folks,
    show her the good spots.
    Can anyone recommend some stuff?

IN MY OPINION the best spots in Waterford are the exit roads leading out of it. Show her these on your way to somewhere better.

*Disclaimer: These views may or may not be shared by others, recommendations were requested by the OP and this is a personal recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

IN MY OPINION the best spots in Waterford are the exit roads leading out of it. Show her these on your way to somewhere better.

*Disclaimer: These views may or may not be shared by others, recommendations were requested by the OP and this is a personal recommendation.

There is always one in every thread about waterford saying how bad it is :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭invara

Some ideas.....

In the city check out the museums- Bishops Palace, Medival Museum and Waterford Crystal.

Take a spin out to Tramore and walk the beach (down the back and up the front takes about 2 hours at a nice cantor)- Moe's, McCarthy or the Surf club for a coffee afterwards. At the weekend these places are packed and have a great buzz. Get a bag of chips in Doolys and sit out at the Guilamene (wrap up its cold these days).

Dunmore East is also lovely for a spin, walk from the beach to the harbour is a short jaunt- there is a nice coffee shop over the harbour; plenty of nice seafood places for dinner. Kilkenny is also worth a spin (motorway makes it about 30 mins), or Wexford/NewRoss- Dunbroady, Jkf homestead... all nice day trips. If driving the Comeragh drive (magic road, Mahon falls) is lovely; nice to check out Lismore or Dungarvan if out that way. The drive between Tramore and Dungarvan is stunning- better than anything the ring of Kerry has to offer- can stop at the geopark museum or Copper Hen if you have the time- nice walk at the Anne Valley, plenty of look outs to stop at. There are Whales out there at the moment- so bring binoculars.

Check out garter lane or the theatre royal to see if there is something on, good time of year as there is a bit on at the moment. Winterval is also trucking along at the moment.

Some great pubs still about- try Downes, Geoffs or Grimes... all great spots with plenty of life. Food in Geoffs is good. Plenty of nice places to eat... I like Harlequinns, Bodega and La Atmosphere, but others rave about Emilianos and McLearys.

Any way, some ideas. Hope they are of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

City is buzzing atm with Winterval loads to see and do, museums are a must.
    House of Waterford Crystal tour is another good one :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

I could show her a good time

http://www.winterval.ie/events

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

How is that helpful? The OP asked for recommendation WITHIN Waterford.

Anyway, lots to see and do with Winterval, and I'd agree with pretty much everything invara said! :) Enjoy your trip home OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

invara wrote: »
    Some ideas.....
    thanks a lot, you have really gone out of your way. much appreciated
    Nypd wrote: »
    City is buzzing atm with Winterval loads to see and do, museums are a must.
    House of Waterford Crystal tour is another good one :)
    braddun wrote: »
    I could show her a good time

http://www.winterval.ie/events
    Brendão wrote: »
    How is that helpful? The OP asked for recommendation WITHIN Waterford.

Anyway, lots to see and do with Winterval, and I'd agree with pretty much everything invara said! :) Enjoy your trip home OP.

thanks lads

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you don't have something actually helpful to add then please don't post again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 FestyOSemtex

For the City the only place I would show any outside visitor is the Viking Triangle. Outside of that, the place looks very run down and shabby.

Advertisement