Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Galaxy S4?

Options
  • 07-12-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Hi all,

Considering buying the Galaxy S4. But Im aware its a year and a half old.
    Is this a bad idea considering how old it is?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Do it!

I bought an S4 from someone in work who upgraded to the S5.

I'm very happy with it. It's not an old phone at all, 18 months isn't much OP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Good phone but terrible battery life.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

Ok thanks.
    I can get it in argos for 350.
    Seems to be the cheapest place. I was considering the htc desire 610 but the display isnt great.
    Now all i have to decide is whether to spend another 175 and get the s5....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

Regarding the HTC desire 610. bought it last weekend after I bricked my HTC one. IM liking it. Very fast. The resolution doesn't bother me

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭danielgalway

It doesn't bother you?
    They were the two phones I am trying to decide between.
    The 610 is €180 in 3. and the s4 is €350.
    But I'm not sure if its a good idea to get an old model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭smilerf

It's a fingerprint magnet though so if that would annoy you stay clear oh and the vibration and light notifications sucks but this are minor gripes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Good phone but terrible battery life.

I've had the S4 since it came out. Battery life is terrible and can be quite frustrating. I have to keep a charger in work just so I can listen to music on my way home as the battery would only last 6-8 hours with little use. If you can do something like this, I'd highly recommend the S4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

winston82 wrote: »
    I've had the S4 since it came out. Battery life is terrible and can be quite frustrating. I have to keep a charger in work just so I can listen to music on my way home as the battery would only last 6-8 hours with little use. If you can do something like this, I'd highly recommend the S4.

Ditto it once dropped to 60 in 8 hours with very moderate use.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Anyone know where I can get a S4 fixed? My daughter dropped hers and the screen is totally smashed. She says they cost Euro 150 to fix, that seems bizarre. Can this really be the case? Also, saw someonen with a cover on one which was kinda rubbery and lipped over the phone which gave it protection if you dropped it. Anyone know where I can get one of those also? thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 166 ✭✭DoomZ

chancer12 wrote: »
    Anyone know where I can get a S4 fixed? My daughter dropped hers and the screen is totally smashed. She says they cost Euro 150 to fix, that seems bizarre. Can this really be the case? Also, saw someonen with a cover on one which was kinda rubbery and lipped over the phone which gave it protection if you dropped it. Anyone know where I can get one of those also? thanks

If you are very handy at repairs, order a replacement screen on eBay and look up YouTube for videos on repairs.
    EBay is also good for rubber covers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

chancer12 wrote: »

It would help if we knew where you are to recommend a place to get it fixed. It depends on what has to be replaced when they give you a price for fixing it.
    And if you google s4 phone covers or type it in to Amazon you will get lots of results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

DoomZ wrote: »
    If you are very handy at repairs, order a replacement screen on eBay and look up YouTube for videos on repairs.
    EBay is also good for rubber covers.

Youd want to be very very handy at repairs to be honest.

Regarding battery life on S4. Turn off LED light notifications, adjust screen brightness, turn off data and app sync mode (sync manually when needed) greatly improves battery hrs. Mine is approx 18months old, still gets 12hrs+ from a charge.
    Also remember that a battery has only so many charge cycles till it eventually starts to degrade. A + for S4 is battery can be replaced.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    Youd want to be very very handy at repairs to be honest.

True, and careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭chancer12

Sorry, should have said, we're in Dublin and TBH wouldn't even attempt to fix it, would likely break the thing altogether!

Advertisement