Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go travelling or apply for supplementary panel?

Options
  • 07-12-2014 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hey guys,

So here's the deal. My girlfriend and I have been saving up for a long tome so that we could go travelling together. We had the chance to go two years ago but I wanted to put it off until I completed my Dip. 2 years on and I have the dip completed but I'm elegible for the supplementary panel now. I thought that this would be no problem and that I would just defer my panel rights but a new rule has come in saying that I cannot do that anymore.
    Basically my question is, do you think it's foolish of me to go traveling given the difficulty people have in getting permanent jobs? My girlfriend would be gutted but I feel I have to at least consider this option. We have both agreed that getting a permanent job and waiting 3 years for a career break is not an option. I'd welcome any opinions. Thanks :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

its a personal choice to be honest. there is always a need for good teachers. Life is short however so live it with no regrets......

• Registered Users Posts: 36 desperate housewife

You do not have to wait 3 years to take a career break. You can go after one year so if you get a permanent job in September from the panel you can apply for career break and go the following September. The 3 year rule changed years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

You do not have to wait 3 years to take a career break. You can go after one year so if you get a permanent job in September from the panel you can apply for career break and go the following September. The 3 year rule changed years ago

I think going after one year is at discretion of BOM

Yes it is. All career breaks are. But the department of Education rule is that you must be permanent for one year before going on career break. Board of management can decide whether to grant the break or not, they could say yes or no regardless of whether you've worked there for one year or ten

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Thanks for the replies so far. Basically I don't think the career break is an option regardless so it's either we go this year or do not go at all. I've been able to get a teaching job every year so far since I came put of college so I'm hoping that will be the case once I come back. As long as I can earn 26,000 the first year I come back I will be eligible for the supplementary panel the following year. Does that all sound correct?
    Just hoping too many things don't change while we're gone

• Advertisement

It is very difficult to get a teaching job so I would think carefully before you decide.
    When you come back you will need to earn 26000euro in the previous calendar year to qualify, to do this you will need to work almost the whole year you will not earn that much money from September to December. So if you go away from September 2015 to summer 2016, you will need to work from September 2016 to qualify for the panel in summer of 2018. A lot of my friends have done This

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

As in a lot of your friends have gone travelling and came back to do this? That's the only worry for me, will I be able to get a job for the year when I come back. As TheDriver has said, I suppose it's a personal decision. If I was going on my own I'd prefer to get a job and then travel after but I cannot be selfish. I think if I didn't go now we would never go and that is something I think I'd regret.

Advertisement