Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 07-12-2014 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭

I never used a firearm until last Monday when I went and did clay shooting and got my competency cert to apply for my licence. I am getting a gift of a shotgun from a family member. The instructor figured out I was left eye dominant but shoot right handed. He told me to shoot to right of target and when I did this I was quite successful hitting 13 out of 16. Now here is my question after searching online. Where do I go from here. I cant close my left eye without my right eye squinting so I believe I have 4 options
    1) stay as I am aiming to the right.
    2) switch to left hand side shooting ( as a newbie all new anyhow)
    3) patch my left eye
    4) try one of those high viz sights.
    Open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I usually shoot with both eyes open

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭tritriagain

This is what I want to do but being cross dominant sort of adjustment/allowance has to be made. Just looking for best option.
    ]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

I never used a firearm until last Monday when I went and did clay shooting and got my competency cert to apply for my licence. I am getting a gift of a shotgun from a family member. The instructor figured out I was left eye dominant but shoot right handed. He told me to shoot to right of target and when I did this I was quite successful hitting 13 out of 16. Now here is my question after searching online. Where do I go from here. I cant close my left eye without my right eye squinting so I believe I have 4 options
    1) stay as I am aiming to the right.
    2) switch to left hand side shooting ( as a newbie all new anyhow)
    3) patch my left eye
    4) try one of those high viz sights.
    Open to all suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I am right handed but left eye dominant, have been shooting right handed weapons (firearms) from my left shoulder all my life, (over 40yrs) without any issues. I have shot many different models calibers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Not wanting to confuse you, but I would not agree with what you've being taught. I've taught on quiet a few courses both for competence certificates and 'NRA First Shots on Targets'. Both are basic familiarisation courses in the use of firearms but at least with the NRA course you get to shoot the firearm. The course instills confidence as part of its outcome, hence with shotgun training you use simple away clays and get the student breacking them. There should be no tricks involved and students should be able to achieve a pass rate by practicing the fundamentals of shot gun shooting.
    If you had attended one of the courses I have worked with we would have encouraged you to shoot off you dominant eye side and would have you breaking clays.
    Take my advice get some more instruction / coaching and shoot off your dominant eye side and you'll be consistently seeing more clays dusted or birds dropped over your shooting lifetime.

Advertisement