Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual, tasty places to eat in Dublin

Options
  • 07-12-2014 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm looking for an unusual yet tasty place to eat in Dublin for a special occasion. Have been to Mongolian BBQ and teppanyakis (not sure if that's spelt right!) and really enjoyed there, but looking for something a but different. Looked at lots of threads on this but the majority are too expensive and a but too fancy for our liking (we love Thai, Chinese, Steak and Italian) such as Chapter One, The Pigs Ear and the barge on the Liffey. Our max price would be €80 including a drink or two and two course meal for two. Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Chameleon in Temple Bar does the rijst-tafel way of serving Indonesian food: http://www.chameleonrestaurant.com/chameleon_restaurant/

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Mao restaurant on Chatham row is really lovely!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

La Dolce Vita on Cows Lane; layout is a bit strange, service can be a bit haphazard, they have very weird movies playing (thankfully no sound) and some times they have guys sitting in the window playing improvised music but the food is fantastic. Very laid back relax vibe, some times it feels more like having dinner at a mates house rather than being in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    La Dolce Vita on Cows Lane; layout is a bit strange, service can be a bit haphazard, they have very weird movies playing (thankfully no sound) and some times they have guys sitting in the window playing improvised music but the food is fantastic. Very laid back relax vibe, some times it feels more like having dinner at a mates house rather than being in a restaurant.

Are the films not too much of a distraction?
    I try to avoid pubs with tellies for that reason, as you inevitably end up staring at them whether you want to or not.

Lucena wrote: »
    Are the films not too much of a distraction?
    I try to avoid pubs with tellies for that reason, as you inevitably end up staring at them whether you want to or not.

The films aren't what you would call captivating and certainly aren't mainstream, usually some obscure Asian movie which you look at for 2 minutes thinking wtf. Usually there is no sound so if you are not looking at it, you wouldn't know it was on. If there is a lull in the conversation you can have a look at the film and it should throw up something to thing to talk about, even if it is only how ridiculous this movie is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,213 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Definitely different - December 13th only.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Try 777 for great, modern Mexican food.

Beeftro (on Balfe St and in Dundrum) does the best steak in Dublin IMO

Red Torch Ginger on Andrew St is great value at times

• Registered Users Posts: 12 FourCircles

Its abit hipster but you should try CrackBird on Dame street it has great chicken the Garlic soy chicken is great! also if you like your BBQ pitt bros on South Great Georges Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

www.lovindublin.com

This is my best friend when it comes to finding new restaurants.

OP, I think you will need to give a bit more information as to what you mean by unusual because, to me, a lot of the places mentioned could only be included under a very loose definition of the word. CrackBird, 777, Pitt Bros, etc. are pretty standard restaurants, sure the food is nice and the service is good but that is to be expected and there are any number of places in the city where you can get that. And Mao have a chain of outlets! If they are being classed as unusual, we may as well include TGI Fridays as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Its abit hipster but you should try CrackBird on Dame street it has great chicken the Garlic soy chicken is great! also if you like your BBQ pitt bros on South Great Georges Street!

What's hipster about a chicken restaurant? They kept the style of the Chinese restaurant that used to be in the same spot. Im sick of every bar, cafe and restaurant in Dublin being called "hipster" because it isn't model on restaurants looking like something from the the 90s.

OP I know you probably don't want to wait until January. But Patrick guilibald is often €50 per head for lunch and it's supposed to be amazing. It's better to spend a little more and get something amazing. Or taste of Emelia. All my Italian friends love it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Rio in ranelagh is a decent new spot, especially if you like meat (and lots of it) 25 euro before 7pm, 30 euro after. Really nice food and all you can eat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Is the chicken free-range? Their site says it's "farm fresh" which seems like they're trying to make it sound free-range without it necessarily being true.

hfallada wrote: »
    What's hipster about a chicken restaurant? They kept the style of the Chinese restaurant that used to be in the same spot. Im sick of every bar, cafe and restaurant in Dublin being called "hipster" because it isn't model on restaurants looking like something from the the 90s

Well crackbird is in whats known as the hipster triangle with stretches from crackbird (the original hipster joint) all the way to bald barista on Aungier street and down to Avoca on south williams street and back to Dame street... Witch is rammed full of the best food spots in the country!

Is the chicken free-range? Their site says it's "farm fresh" which seems like they're trying to make it sound free-range without it necessarily being true.

I have no idea all i know is its good stuff I highly recommend it! Maybe tweet at them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Is the chicken free-range?
    It's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

Thats the last thing i want when going to a restaurant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Well crackbird is in whats known as the hipster triangle with stretches from crackbird (the original hipster joint) all the way to bald barista on Aungier street and down to Avoca on south williams street and back to Dame street... Witch is rammed full of the best food spots in the country!

apparently the still bootleg jeans wearing, craft beer drinking third wave coffee drinker is a hipster because he also happens to like crack bird:pac:

Or maybe its a case that I like there chicken much more than KFC, prefer the likes of Coffee Angel to starbucks, prefers Galway Bay beers to guinness and Heino and boot cut jeans to the ball strangling pieces of denim that said "hipsters" like.

Sorry for the rant, but I hate it when anything that is slightly different gets labelled hipster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

hfallada wrote: »
    What's hipster about a chicken restaurant? They kept the style of the Chinese restaurant that used to be in the same spot. Im sick of every bar, cafe and restaurant in Dublin being called "hipster" because it isn't model on restaurants looking like something from the the 90s.

1. Pretentious, arrogant, annoying waiting staff. For example, ´we don´t do ketchup (scoff)´and the likes.......
    2. Charging for every single condiment in the belief that because it´s made from some mad unusual ingredients that that is fine - the food itself is already expensive enough
    3. Crap hipster music booming from the speakers.
    4. It´s full of beardy hipster twats.

OP - my recommendation would be to head for a Korean BBQ at Hilan restaurant on capel street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

1. Pretentious, arrogant, annoying waiting staff. For example, ´we don´t do ketchup (scoff)´and the likes.......
    2. Charging for every single condiment in the belief that because it´s made from some mad unusual ingredients that that is fine - the food itself is already expensive enough

OP - my recommendation would be to head for a Korean BBQ at Hilan restaurant on capel street.

Milanos do all those as well. Is Milanos 'hipster'?

What is 'Crap hipster music' btw?

I am sure that people call things that are popular with young people hipster.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

El Bahia on Wicklow Street for Moroccan fare, recommend the lamb tangine or Rottincullo on Lower Clanbrassil Street for excellent Sicilian dishes, recommend the Spezzatino di Manzo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Wow. I don't even know where to begin with your post, chip on your shoulder much? Immediately putting somewhere down because it's too "hipster" for you or didn't have ketchup is hardly a good criticism.

OP I would recommend 777 on George's Street for some of the best Mexican I've had in Dublin, it's quite pricey but doesn't go above your price range. Treat yourself to a cocktail or two, especially on Mondays because last time I was there they had two for one Margaritas. They don't take bookings and they're usually very busy, so head down and put your name down for a table and grab a drink across the road while you wait.

If you're looking for sushi, Musashi(spelling?) on Capel Street is great and not to pricey either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

^ 2 for 1 Margaritas :eek:

Makes bee-line to 777 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

sugarman wrote: »
    2 places I used to really like that Id recommend on the outskirts of the City on Leeson st

Keshk

A nice little cozy mediterranean restaurant.

Da Vincenzo

A few doors up from Keshk, a small Italain bistro called da vincenzo. Standard Italian really. But by god is it tasty, and cheap to boot. Restaurant itself is nice and cozy in winter, usually with a fire lit and candles scattered around the place. Any time ive been in its usually full of Italians eating there themselves, which says something about the food to me. Again, staff were always great and quick to serve us. There used be a 20% before 8? I think it was.

You mustn't have been to Leeson St in awhile. Keshk moved to Mespil Roadn about 2 years ago, but had been replaced by Alladdin's (sic) which is equally good.

Da Vincenzo was fantastic in its heyday, but had sadly deteriorated in its final years. Closed a couple of years ago, and is now a branch of The Farm. Nice restaurant.

Speeds

Warper wrote: »
    Thats the last thing i want when going to a restaurant

You don't like eating in a comfortable place with friendly staff and a relaxed, informal atmosphere? Forgive me if I overlook any restaurants you recommend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

There was an article in the WSJ about people working in Wall St going to raves at 6am to 8am in Brooklyn before their office jobs in Banks and Hedge Funds. Do they count as Hipsters? Also does a CEO with a beard of a fortune 500 company count as a Hipster, if he is paid millions and lives in a multi-million dollar apartment? Hipster is a just a term thrown around that means nothing.

Reviews for Hilan are hit and miss. I didnt feel great after a meal I had there.

OP Woodstock cafe in Phisboro is great for breakfast/lunch. Its always packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 the5thace

Mongolian BBQ just off Stephen's green. You get to create your own plate of food by picking each ingredient. There is a large selection of spices, meats, vegetables and sauces that you can combine which are then stir fried together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Terra Madre on Bachelor's Walk. Small, cosy intimate Italian restaurant with small but delicious menu and very nice staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

the5thace wrote: »
    Mongolian BBQ just off Stephen's green. You get to create your own plate of food by picking each ingredient. There is a large selection of spices, meats, vegetables and sauces that you can combine which are then stir fried together.

I've never understood these 'make your own dinner' restaurants. It's grand if it's just the deli-counter at Spar for lunch on a workday but outside that, I'm an old-fashioned non-hipster waiter-service chef-cooked-food loving diner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I've never understood these 'make your own dinner' restaurants. It's grand if it's just the deli-counter at Spar for lunch on a workday but outside that, I'm an old-fashioned non-hipster waiter-service chef-cooked-food loving diner.

Except the Mongolian BBQ pre dates the hipster-ness, around since the late 90s. Never particularly liked it myself.

Advertisement