Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre- Trying to Conceive- what do I need to do?

Options
  • 07-12-2014 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have been lurking around here for a while and have a few questions if anyone could help me!
    We want to start trying for a baby next year. I know it can take a while but I don't want to start trying now in case I did get pregnant - I have exams and a house purchase in the works, I think I'd rather the stress of them over first. My issues/things I don't know are:

1. I'm on the pill. Do I need to see my doctor to come off the pill or do you just quit (apologies if this is seen as seeking medical advice and not allowed so don't answer that if you're not allowed)
    2. My previous Docs thought I have PCOS but can't test for it while you're on pill. My periods were months apart. I presume if I come off the pill there is some sort of test then?
    3. What are the things you do when trying to conceive...
    - take folic acid
    - No drinking / smoking
    - Eat well... do you avoid the stuff you have to avoid in pregnancy at this stage too? (shellfish and the like)
    - Anything else??

I know plenty of people get pregnant by surprise and have healthy babies and haven't been doing the above.. but I suppose if you're actively trying there are things you can do to help/ be safe.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I have been lurking around here for a while and have a few questions if anyone could help me!
    We want to start trying for a baby next year. I know it can take a while but I don't want to start trying now in case I did get pregnant - I have exams and a house purchase in the works, I think I'd rather the stress of them over first. My issues/things I don't know are:

1. I'm on the pill. Do I need to see my doctor to come off the pill or do you just quit (apologies if this is seen as seeking medical advice and not allowed so don't answer that if you're not allowed)
    2. My previous Docs thought I have PCOS but can't test for it while you're on pill. My periods were months apart. I presume if I come off the pill there is some sort of test then?
    3. What are the things you do when trying to conceive...
    - take folic acid
    - No drinking / smoking
    - Eat well... do you avoid the stuff you have to avoid in pregnancy at this stage too? (shellfish and the like)
    - Anything else??

I know plenty of people get pregnant by surprise and have healthy babies and haven't been doing the above.. but I suppose if you're actively trying there are things you can do to help/ be safe.

Not sure about the pill. You dont necessarily need to come off it in advance - you may get pregnant right away so no harm to wait until the exams are in sight and then switch to a non-hormonal contraceptive. But check with your GP anyway - its a good time to get smear tests up to date too.

With PCOS, I'm not sure. I think that when they test your bloods, thyroid function is checked ( it was in my case but I have an endocrine issue anyway so dont know if its standard.) I think you might need to ask your GP the next time you are in.

Start folic acid. If nothing else, you'll have great hair and nails.:) Folic acid should ideally be started 3 months before conception but you may already have good stores of it in your system.

Quit smoking.

Drinking, keep to reasonable limits, there is no need to quit, but do try to stay under the recommended weekly amount.

Eat what you like, but try to focus on healthier choices - no need to go daft, you need your treats but a little extra fruit and veg, and a little less junk (after christmas lol). You'll only need to start restricting certain foods when you get that positive test.

Think about taking up exercise. Its good to be healthy as possible, and if for any reason your TTC efforts stress you out, exercise is a great way of destressing.

best of luck. :)

Advertisement