Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCC Gems

Options
  • 07-12-2014 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm looking for some information about the UCC Gems course. What the lectures, assessment etc are like?

Anyone on the course here that can give me some feedback as to how the course is going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Blue_Zebra

Hi,

I'm looking for some information about the UCC Gems course. What the lectures, assessment etc are like?

Anyone on the course here that can give me some feedback as to how the course is going?

I'm on the GEM course in UCC - if you have specific questions I'll do my best to answer them. One of the main things from the first term is that the Christmas exams are only worth 30% - there is another 70% exam in June.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Freya01

Hi😃 does anyone know if people have gotten into UCC with a gamsat score of 54?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

Freya01 wrote: »
    HiðŸ˜႒ does anyone know if people have gotten into UCC with a gamsat score of 54?

No, the lowest cut-off was 55* in 2014. You can see the cut-offs for each year here: http://www.cao.ie/?page=points

• Registered Users Posts: 7 hyoid

Would any of ye know what the loan situation is like for UCC this year? Or else I'd be interested to know what your experiences with BOI were if you started before this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Arabella19

Hi,

Does anyone know when the first round offers come out for GEM UCC?

Do we have to wait for August or is there an earlier date (read online somewhere that it could possible be the start of July?)?

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭inca2

Round 0 offers for all colleges are early August. CAO usually update their timetable of events with an exact date closer to the time. It was the 4th last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 teaparty

Hey! So what are peoples reasons for UCC preference over other Unis. I've decided to ignore Dublin as cost of living is very high. But now just to decide between UCC and UL. Any advice? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Recap

teaparty wrote: »
    Hey! So what are peoples reasons for UCC preference over other Unis. I've decided to ignore Dublin as cost of living is very high. But now just to decide between UCC and UL. Any advice? Thanks! :)
    There are some very informative posts on this forum about both courses. From my understanding, at UL you (along with your assigned group) are responsible for your teaching and your progress. Personally, I'm not a fan of this approach but to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭inca2

Recap wrote: »
    There are some very informative posts on this forum about both courses. From my understanding, at UL you (along with your assigned group) are responsible for your teaching and your progress. Personally, I'm not a fan of this approach but to each their own.

To a point, yes. But there is a lot of support in the process, it's not as if you are left to your own devices. You have a tutor who acts as a facilitator in your PBL sessions - they don't give you the answers but assist you in finding them. You are also taught clinical skills by another tutor who is (usually) a practicing GP. Each week, there is a defined list of learning objectives that have to be achieved. Most importantly I think, there is great support from upper years. One great resource was "PeerMedics" - each week, a third year student presented the main important points for the week's case to the first years. I found that particular resource invaluable this year.

Advertisement