Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RED ROCK [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

desbrook wrote: »
    Mistress?? Think you mean victim :(

Sorry very poor choice of words :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

So our heroine Sharon gave her only copy of the evidence to McGonnigle and let him take it??? Never made a copy just in case???

I think the actress is doing a great job and the scenario is interesting but the credibility of her character is being let down by this. Naivety in the extreme.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

desbrook wrote: »
    So our heroine Sharon gave her only copy of the evidence to McGonnigle and let him take it??? Never made a copy just in case???

I think the actress is doing a great job and the scenario is interesting but the credibility of her character is being let down by this. Naivety in the extreme.

I don't think it affects the credibility of her character as she is supposed to be very naive. So in that sense she's doing well at portraying that! In fairness, I think she was caught upon accusing him and didn't anticipate him reaching over and grabbing the usb stick! Naive? With the likes of Mcgonigle yes!

Did anyone else hear Bridget Kiely and Patricia Hennessy on Ian Dempsey this morning? Apparently they are filming ep 40 at the mo!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Oh sh*t's about to go down by the looks of things...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Is Sharon overstepping the mark? No crime has been reported and yet she's doing all this off her own bat and almost as if she is on a personal crusade. I think she'd be well advised to take Podge's advice and steer well clear.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Is Sharon overstepping the mark? No crime has been reported and yet she's doing all this off her own bat and almost as if she is on a personal crusade. I think she'd be well advised to take Podge's advice and steer well clear.

Asfaik all citizens are obliged to report a suspected crime to the Gardai when evidence comes their way. I would have thought the two incidents would raise serious suspicions.

Certain professions ( and I think the Gaurds are one) have a special responsibility to report suspected child abuse. That's what this is. Sharon has made herself more vunerable by approaching the girl but not reporting. The girl can testify that Sharon knew but did nothing. This all seems unlikely now but when McGonnigle drops the girl her attitude will change. Sharon must act for the girl's sake and her own.

( Yes, I know it's not real. :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Like, I get that you're new and all Sharon, but jaysus, no. The minute you saw the creepy wee smile on his face on that cctv you should have brought it to McKay. Trust your instinct!

There's "ratting on a colleague" and there's stopping a paedophile. I really can't see the other lads in the station giving her grief for the latter no matter what Podge says!

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

There's "ratting on a colleague" and there's stopping a paedophile. !

Be careful.

A paedophile isn't what the copper seems to be in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Like, I get that you're new and all Sharon, but jaysus, no. The minute you saw the creepy wee smile on his face on that cctv you should have brought it to McKay. Trust your instinct!

There's "ratting on a colleague" and there's stopping a paedophile. I really can't see the other lads in the station giving her grief for the latter no matter what Podge says!

At worst he is a hebofile. Calling someone a paedophile is pretty serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The girl appears to be 'developed' and post puberty. She is a minor (15/16) in the eyes of the law. Age is not the defining factor. Not a factor at all once puberty is reached/past and the person is developed. Pedophile he is not.

That's a very strict interpretation of the term, which has no legal definition. He's also not real so there's no need to stick up for his right to be properly described. :P

Anyway, I digress. Ye know what I meant anyway - still illegal, immoral and statutory rape!

That's a very strict interpretation of the term, which has no legal definition. He's also not real so there's no need to stick up for his right to be properly described. :P

Anyway, I digress. Ye know what I meant anyway - still illegal, immoral and statutory rape!

Sharon doesn't know exactly what is going on between the pair though. She has seen them kiss once on CCTV and that's about it : she has no evidence whatsoever they are having sex, only that they may 'possibly' be in a relationship with each other.

Strazdas wrote: »
    Sharon doesn't know exactly what is going on between the pair though. She has seen them kiss once on CCTV and that's about it : she has no evidence whatsoever they are having sex, only that they may 'possibly' be in a relationship with each other.

Yes, but her reasonable suspicion warrants investigation. They'd find that dodgy extra phone he pulled out of his boot!

Strong stuff for what should have been 845 :( Excellent episode though. I so hope RR takes off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

The actor who plays Podge is excellent. I was not expecting him to be so good from the promotional picture they used for Red Rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,843 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I thought Mcgonigle was excellent ( as in acting!), tonight was quality, the outside scene with Sharon getting beaten was very well done. Quite shocking, but great TV.

Brilliant episode! It just keeps getting better I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

McGonigle is a fantastic villain. His character needs to keep getting away with stuff though for him to stay in the show (a bit like Tadhg in Ros na Rún - everyone knows he's up to no good, but they can't pin anything on him)

And I agree that the guy who plays Paudge is great. I think his struggle with the whole Sharon/McGonigle situation has been interesting since the very beginning - you can tell he wants to do the right thing, but just knows the world isn't as black and white as that... Did he even have any lines in that scene tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Must say the series is building well - better though as a police drama than a 'soap' the Hennessey's et al would be better as a case for the gaurds! Although I think Mrs Keily is excellent acting wise.

I record this and watch the episodes back to back - a bit more drama and this would be better served as a one hour episode after the watershed on a Sunday.

It's streets ahead of Fair City as a soap - but still a little mild to be a full blown drama.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I was starting to have 2nd thoughts on the soaps until tonight. It really redeemed itself this evening and id say tonight's episode alone has guaranteed around 100,000 dedicated viewers.

I also like the way have another unusual crime every night or two. Makes it fun. Always a little bit of comedy thrown into the mix.

One thing i noticed tonight, the Sargent asked two of the guards to go to a robbery in town, but instead they run off and interview the woman with the suspected of poising the old mans dog.

I think Podge had a line or two in tonights episode, but acting is not always dialogue. The look on his face... Sharon was worried about being in the car with McGonagle, and he was saying it won't happen. Next day, she goes out with him and ends up beaten to a pulp. He added 2 and 2, and very much got 4.

Podge is now very much on Sharons side, while remaining conflicted. Things are looking interesting.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    One thing i noticed tonight, the Sargent asked two of the guards to go to a robbery in town, but instead they run off and interview the woman with the suspected of poising the old mans dog.

You dont think the robbery was the only thing they did in the day? Nor was the interview of yer wan, the only thing they did in the day.

It was 8 or 9 in the morning when she was handing out the roles for the day. We didnt see what they did for the full 8-9 hour shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

I'm enjoying Red Rock.

Like all soaps it takes time for a series to gain traction. I remember watching Brookside on Channel 4 during it's early days and it took time to "bed in" too.

I think the producers of this series have taken a good setting - Garda station - to create a series which has the potential to provide lots and lots of interesting plots and sub plots.

The acting is very good and the viewer is starting to get to know the characters too.
    Good to see a home grown series doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

syklops wrote: »
    You dont think the robbery was the only thing they did in the day? Nor was the interview of yer wan, the only thing they did in the day.

It was 8 or 9 in the morning when she was handing out the roles for the day. We didnt see what they did for the full 8-9 hour shift.

No im not talking about the morning. Im talking about when the two of them were talking to the searg and she talks about chocolate being poisonus to dogs.

The coversation started with something simular to "a robbery has been rung in down in ******* and I want ye to go down there" and ended with guards remembering the chocolate wrapper on your mans floor and running off to interview the woman and her child again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

McGonigle is a fantastic villain. His character needs to keep getting away with stuff though for him to stay in the show (a bit like Tadhg in Ros na Rún - everyone knows he's up to no good, but they can't pin anything on him)

And I agree that the guy who plays Paudge is great. I think his struggle with the whole Sharon/McGonigle situation has been interesting since the very beginning - you can tell he wants to do the right thing, but just knows the world isn't as black and white as that... Did he even have any lines in that scene tonight?

Was surprised Podge did not stay back to speak with Sharon - on the other hand,
    considering it was Podge, perhaps not!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

syklops wrote: »
    I think Podge had a line or two in tonights episode, but acting is not always dialogue. The look on his face... Sharon was worried about being in the car with McGonagle, and he was saying it won't happen. Next day, she goes out with him and ends up beaten to a pulp. He added 2 and 2, and very much got 4.

Podge is now very much on Sharons side, while remaining conflicted. Things are looking interesting.

The look on his face spoke a thousand words. He knew well what had happened,
    yet he did not stay to lend Sharon support. He was the only one to whom she
    could speak about the whole incident. :(

Carnacalla wrote: »
    I was starting to have 2nd thoughts on the soaps until tonight. It really redeemed itself this evening and id say tonight's episode alone has guaranteed around 100,000 dedicated viewers.

I also like the way have another unusual crime every night or two. Makes it fun. Always a little bit of comedy thrown into the mix.

Yes, I love the way they included a seemingly mundane story about a barking dog in the two episodes. It makes the programme seem much more true to life : a lot of Garda work would be everyday stuff like this, it's not all sensational drama and car chases.

Brilliant episode tonight. Sharon can be under no illusions now just what McGonagle is like and that he was responsible for her beating.

• Advertisement

My only quibble with last night was that bloody announcer!! " you won't have long to wait" she says. I thought she was going to reveal the beginning of a third episode on Sundays or some other day :(

Advertisement