Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RED ROCK [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

although this article seems to diprove my theory regarding its future!

http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/TV3s-Red-Rock-headed-to-the-US-with-Amazon-Prime/373268.htm

anyone know if this has been confirmed??

TV3 couldn't be happier with the show and the ratings don't include those watching on the player or those who wait for the omnibus (which I'm sure is a lot in this day and age), plus with the IFTAs and the Amazon Prime deal there's no danger of it getting axed anytime soon. And as mentioned, very likely that they'll do away with the summer break as well going forward. So don't be worrying about it getting cancelled - it's doing well.

Keep an eye out for a St Stephen's Day docu-special on TV3 about the first year of Red Rock with cast interviews and special guests - which may or may not include me ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Trust me I amn't worried! I never took to it!! Some of the cliché stories never took my fancy! And TV3 are releasing press statements saying how happy with the show. This is a common marketing ploy with stations to ensure advertisement interest.

I am not saying the acting is bad or all of the plots are bad. Some are very inventive, anytime I have a look, but there are also viewer ratings on Player facilities which are actually more accurate as they can acknowledge the clicks and streaming, and these are released regularly by most stations also, as are Plus 1 viewer figures. They invested a lot getting the show on the road so the fact that viewer figures are dwindling can't be recognised as a positive thing.

As I said, this isn't criticising the shows plots or actors so I would hope fans don't jump on the Defence Wagon if they here any negativity towards what I am saying but when you see shows like Brookside, The Bill and other long term
    Programmes by broadcasters you realise how important viewing figures are.

Only reason I am bringing this up is , i saw an article which concentrated on the impact of soaps which brought up the chances of Red Rock becoming a long term project and the writer wasn't very confident of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Trust me I amn't worried! I never took to it!! Some of the cliché stories never took my fancy! And TV3 are releasing press statements saying how happy with the show. This is a common marketing ploy with stations to ensure advertisement interest.

I am not saying the acting is bad or all of the plots are bad. Some are very inventive, anytime I have a look, but there are also viewer ratings on Player facilities which are actually more accurate as they can acknowledge the clicks and streaming, and these are released regularly by most stations also, as are Plus 1 viewer figures. They invested a lot getting the show on the road so the fact that viewer figures are dwindling can't be recognised as a positive thing.

As I said, this isn't criticising the shows plots or actors so I would hope fans don't jump on the Defence Wagon if they here any negativity towards what I am saying but when you see shows like Brookside, The Bill and other long term
    Programmes by broadcasters you realise how important viewing figures are.

Only reason I am bringing this up is , i saw an article which concentrated on the impact of soaps which brought up the chances of Red Rock becoming a long term project and the writer wasn't very confident of this.

The Bill wasn't that popular in it's early days though. For the first four years of it's existence (1984-88), there were only 12 one hour episodes per year and it was actually many years before it became a ratings winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Strazdas wrote: »
    The Bill wasn't that popular in it's early days though. For the first four years of it's existence (1984-88), there were only 12 one hour episodes per year and it was actually many years before it became a ratings winner.

Yeah, but ITV have a far far bigger budget and advertising revenue than TV3 and their viewership incorporates all the UK so it could afford a relatively low rating. TV3 are struggling somewhat, financially, hence the low homemade programmes..

Yeah, but ITV have a far far bigger budget and advertising revenue than TV3 and their viewership incorporates all the UK so it could afford a relatively low rating. TV3 are struggling somewhat, financially, hence the low homemade programmes..

TV3 was recently bought by Virgin Media Ireland and it's future is secure. By all accounts, they are very happy with Red Rock's ratings. They have already decided to extend the show beyond it's initial two year run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Lots of speculation on another forum that McKay could be the Christmas death, have to say I agree :( And in a cruel twist of fate and in true soap style Claire will probably find out she's pregnant right before he dies and is rushing to tell him but never gets the chance. Or she finds out after his death. I hope he doesn't die though, does seem like he will though and apparently the actor wasn't at the IFTAS. Which doesn't mean he's left but lots of things do seem to be pointing that way.

McKay could be replaced by Nicki or even Rory and Red Rock aren't afraid to take risks. It would be a shame though, just as the character starts to get interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    Lots of speculation on another forum that McKay could be the Christmas death, have to say I agree :( And in a cruel twist of fate and in true soap style Claire will probably find out she's pregnant right before he dies and is rushing to tell him but never gets the chance. Or she finds out after his death. I hope he doesn't die though, does seem like he will though and apparently the actor wasn't at the IFTAS. Which doesn't mean he's left but lots of things do seem to be pointing that way.

McKay could be replaced by Nicki or even Rory and Red Rock aren't afraid to take risks. It would be a shame though, just as the character starts to get interesting.

Really hope that's not true, I love McKay!

Monife wrote: »
    Really hope that's not true, I love McKay!

It's all only speculation by fans though, there are no actual rumours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭prodsc

McKay is a bit too obvious now...I think it will be a surprise!

prodsc wrote: »

Yes indeed, they might deliberately be trying to wrong foot us :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

that promo gave absolutely nothing away!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

prodsc wrote: »

Hopefully! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Below spoiler is from the Christmas edition of TV Now, so if you don't want to know, then don't read the article about Red Rock in TV Now (or the below!!)
    I don't know if McKay is the Christmas death, but Claire does find out that she is pregnant, and she does tell him, so maybe he dies after that, also read in The Christmas TV Now that the Keilys are not happy with the sentence that Michael Hennessy receives so Vincent goes after him and its just the 2 of them alone and Vincent has a shotgun and is going to kill him, says to him, an eye for an eye - don't know if he goes through with it or not, but when Katie has the baby, all the kielys and hennesseys are there apart from Vincent and michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Amazon Prime have acquired the rights to Red Rock for 4 years and will be streaming it in the US for 4 years. I think its pretty safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,853 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

McKay could be replaced by Nicki or even Rory and Red Rock aren't afraid to take risks.

Good God NO! Nicki has just gone for a promotion below Super anyway. Rory can't tie his shoelaces yet.

My biggest fear is that they will get a ballbreaker woman though, just because. I'm getting tired of it in too many movies/series. The series needs a Garda Super with some maturity to reflect real life too.

Very dark episode tonight. I think they made a mistake with Podge. He was the source of a lot of the humour in the first year. He could have added some comic relief in tonights episode.

Wheres Sharon? Not seen her in ages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 421 ✭✭banoffe2

Love Red Rock, tonight was gripping with the court room drama, good acting, didn't expect that outcome for Michael Hennessey sentence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lovely to see the old Green Street courtroom again - there's some atmosphere about that place!

But I cannot get past Claire representing her brother - "my client". That's just so far from reality as to practically ruin that whole storyline for me.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Lovely to see the old Green Street courtroom again - there's some atmosphere about that place!

But I cannot get past Claire representing her brother - "my client". That's just so far from reality as to practically ruin that whole storyline for me.

At the very least the Judge commented on it saying it was strange, but I don't get why it was necessary.

Claire going "And Michael has been volunteering at the local community centre"
    Judge:"Yes I can see that".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

syklops wrote: »
    At the very least the Judge commented on it saying it was strange, but I don't get why it was necessary.

Claire going "And Michael has been volunteering at the local community centre"
    Judge:"Yes I can see that".
    The judge was commenting on the fact that Claire wanted to address the court - normally solicitors don't, it's the barristers do all the talking (if they're employed in a case).

It's just such a glaring conflict of interest - not to mention the case being investigated under McKay - it just stretches my credulity to breaking point.

But hey, the case is over now (bar the shouting, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of that!), I'll just have to get over it :D

• Advertisement

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    The judge was commenting on the fact that Claire wanted to address the court - normally solicitors don't, it's the barristers do all the talking (if they're employed in a case).

It's just such a glaring conflict of interest - not to mention the case being investigated under McKay - it just stretches my credulity to breaking point.

But hey, the case is over now (bar the shouting, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of that!), I'll just have to get over it :D

Nice to see it being filmed in a real courtroom though, made it seem much more realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,298 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see Ian Dempsey is narrating a catchup episode on St. Stephens Day to look back at the story of Red Rock so far, might be worth a watch for any newcomers to the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

This is still speculation on my part, but I was in a room with a family member of Richard Flood (McKay) and they mentioned offhand he'd had to leave the show because he was moving to Italy with his partner and their baby. This was back in August so I wouldn't be surprised if McKay was the death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

One night where you'd think the Hennesseys would hire a bouncer for the pub !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Baby on the way, textbook soap killing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Them Hennessy boys love the old top shelf,

Also where is Sharon gone?

Red Rock need Sharon back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

I think it could be Adrijan that dies..

There has been scenes in most of the recent episodes of him holding his head/rubbing eyes etc that does not get mentioned in the script.

It could be that there is some unknown head injury from the hit and run that is slowly ticking away..

Them Hennessy boys love the old top shelf,

Also where is Sharon gone?

Red Rock need Sharon back

Sharon was pictured on set today at the Garda station so she's definitely on the way back :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Can't ever get into this show - its like Fair City but full of cops. Also find it hard to take it seriously when you see the Superintendent getting too involved with the low lifes downstairs. Seeing the Super getting all hands on just does not happen in real life. Sometimes seeing him/her at all is akin to a visit from the queen.

Quite rare to have such a young Superintendent too. He might be credible as an Inspector on the fast track but ordinarily he would just be a Sergeant - also on the fast track (to future promotions)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Can't ever get into this show - its like Fair City but full of cops. Also find it hard to take it seriously when you see the Superintendent getting too involved with the low lifes downstairs. Seeing the Super getting all hands on just does not happen in real life. Sometimes seeing him/her at all is akin to a visit from the queen.

Quite rare to have such a young Superintendent too. He might be credible as an Inspector on the fast track but ordinarily he would just be a Sergeant - also on the fast track (to future promotions)

Do you live in a garda station?

Advertisement