Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RED ROCK [News, Spoilers and Discussion]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

Passed by the set the other day (Just off the South Circular Road) and it was all lights, cameras & I suppose action. Can't wait till it comes back :-)

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

The problem will be the time slot. It is quite violent as is and it gets even more so. Hopefully BBC will keep running with it but just move it.

Have the BBC cut any of the episodes, seeing as they were shown after the watershed on TV3 and contained scenes not suited to afternoon viewing on BBC?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Have the BBC cut any of the episodes, seeing as they were shown after the watershed on TV3 and contained scenes not suited to afternoon viewing on BBC?

We haven't reached the post watershed episodes yet, so it is unclear what will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭septern

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/red-rock-goes-into-hiatus-as-tv3-hits-pause-on-garda-drama-1.3198228

new series will not be shown until 2018 now, then a review.
    looks like its days could be numbered if it does not do the numbers they were hoping for.

A pity,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭prodsc

I didn't read the link initially and thought you were talking about the new series in the UK!!

A pity is right!! Next series could be the last!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Very badly schedule by TV3 and while I know soap fans would hate this but it could have air between coro st at 8 on Monday and Friday, it clashes with EastEnders but EastEnders doesn't do all that well on ONE, and UTV Ireland had 300,000 viewers for Daniel and Majella at that time. Also TV3 repeat Red Rock and both TV3 and ONE have plus 1 channels.

RTE should pick it up if TV3 let it go IMO. Also I predicted its end a while back, interesting to see if they increase its audience in the new year, lets hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Rather annoying that crap like Fair City pulls in great numbers and this great show doesn't. Looking at things from over here in the UK I think it's pretty simple really, Ireland is a very small country and getting a new home grown show especially a year round soap / drama is a very tough ask. That's why nobody had ever really done it before, it just became necessary for TV3 as they lost Corrie and Emmerdale for a while. I see John Yorke, one of the main producers of RR, is on (apparently temporary) contract at the BBC to sort EastEnders out.

Elmo wrote: »
    Very badly schedule by TV3 and while I know soap fans would hate this but it could have air between coro st at 8 on Monday and Friday, it clashes with EastEnders but EastEnders doesn't do all that well on ONE, and UTV Ireland had 300,000 viewers for Daniel and Majella at that time. Also TV3 repeat Red Rock and both TV3 and ONE have plus 1 channels.

RTE should pick it up if TV3 let it go IMO. Also I predicted its end a while back, interesting to see if they increase its audience in the new year, lets hope.

A bit of a shocker that the show is in peril given its very high quality.

And yes, RTE should definitely come in for it if TV3 decide to ditch it. It is too good a brand to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I thought it was a ratings winner for TV3, really shocked it could be in trouble

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I thought it was a ratings winner for TV3, really shocked it could be in trouble

No TV3 like to spin, you should never really read into what TV3 are saying. 2015 they made massive losses and possibly the same again in 2016. Red Rock had around 100,000 to 150,000 viewers but it was inconsistent. It was only really done because of the loss of the ITV soaps and now that they are back.
    Looking at things from over here in the UK I think it's pretty simple really, Ireland is a very small country and getting a new home grown show especially a year round soap / drama is a very tough ask. That's why nobody had ever really done it before, it just became necessary for TV3 as they lost Corrie and Emmerdale for a while.

Not really just very badly scheduled. The first 2 years it was surrounded by a lot of really bad TV, and when Coro St did return to TV3 they did little to push Red Rock. TV3 never did it because they never needed to, easier to make money on cheap ITV imports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It probably boils down to the fact they could buy in some cheap reality tv rubbish for a fraction of the cost of producing Red Rock and at the same time break even on that slot with cheaply sold adverts. When you leave a gap like this the actors involved will be still needing work and will seek out other projects potentially meaning they may not be rejoining for another series which will mean plot holes all over the place. I enjoy the show and liked the later time slot for the most recent series allowing a more grittier storyline.

Yeah this feels like when bands say they're going on a break and inevitably never get back together. I mean it's not impossible but say they show the episodes already filmed from January to March at the earliest? Say TV3 make a decision and filming got up and running again by April/May? That's almost a year for cast, crew, producers, writers etc to be sitting around twiddling their thumbs. Don't think so. People will have moved on. The BBC could be the wildcard in all of this, they're the only ones with the muscle and possibly inclination to find a solution, but again I wouldn't hold my breath. What RR has going for it is it is a really good show, especially for a 'soap', what's unforunate is that viewers in Ireland for whatever reason (scheduling, promotion) haven't found it in consistently high numbers. Shame.

And again I'm talking with experience of the UK rather than Ireland here but I would have thought the chances of RTE picking it up are close to nil. Why bother with a good show when you can put out in house production Fair City and attract the same old complacent audience?

More in this article. Basically, blame money and RTE.

But the next batch of 23 episodes of Red Rock, the last to be filmed on its current set, won’t be shown until 2018, giving TV3 some time to decide whether to build a new set or swing the axe. On the one hand, TV3 says it doesn’t want to walk away from its €11 million investment, but on the other, well, it has known for some time that its lease was due to expire. There might simply be other shows it wants to make.

“We can’t do everything. We can’t have Red Rock 52 weeks a year, and have Six Nations and invest in news and current affairs,” says Kiely.

Would he have liked Red Rock to have a bigger audience? “Yeah. I would say that the ratings have belied, from my perspective, how terrific it is,” he says.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/tv3-s-pat-kiely-we-have-something-up-our-sleeve-1.3197309

fr336 wrote: »
    Yeah this feels like when bands say they're going on a break and inevitably never get back together. I mean it's not impossible but say they show the episodes already filmed from January to March at the earliest? Say TV3 make a decision and filming got up and running again by April/May? That's almost a year for cast, crew, producers, writers etc to be sitting around twiddling their thumbs. Don't think so. People will have moved on. The BBC could be the wildcard in all of this, they're the only ones with the muscle and possibly inclination to find a solution, but again I wouldn't hold my breath. What RR has going for it is it is a really good show, especially for a 'soap', what's unforunate is that viewers in Ireland for whatever reason (scheduling, promotion) haven't found it in consistently high numbers. Shame.

And again I'm talking with experience of the UK rather than Ireland here but I would have thought the chances of RTE picking it up are close to nil. Why bother with a good show when you can put out in house production Fair City and attract the same old complacent audience?

The fly in the ointment was the return of Corrie and Emmerdale to TV3, that really changed the dynamic and almost certainly forced the show into the post-watershed and once a week slot. It might be salvageable yet though, there is lot of love for the show on social media in the wake of yesterday's news.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,594 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I know lots of people who loved the first season of Redrock. However the issues I and other experienced it was a little dark and the Brian McGonigle story/Rachel story line was very dragged out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭George White

"Hiatus", this reminds of when the BBC put Doctor Who "on hiatus" in 1989. And that didn't properly come back until 2005, after myriad attempts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

I Simply cant understand why Red Rock didn't have a better audience... compared to the **** that was "love hate" Red Rock was far superior to love hate. Someone mentioned that red rock was dark... dark.. are you serious. it was gripping and had humour and real life without the extreme violence of "love hate"
    It was simply the best home grown programme we produced. superior (although a different type of show) to Fr Ted, Mrs Brown as well as love hate
    rant over

gubby wrote: »
    I Simply cant understand why Red Rock didn't have a better audience... compared to the **** that was "love hate" Red Rock was far superior to love hate. Someone mentioned that red rock was dark... dark.. are you serious. it was gripping and had humour and real life without the extreme violence of "love hate"
    It was simply the best home grown programme we produced. superior (although a different type of show) to Fr Ted, Mrs Brown as well as love hate
    rant over

The first season was fine. I discussed it with a good few people and they felt it was a little dark soap at times including the setting. Lighting could have being better(Especially in the Kiely house). Love/Hate and Redrock(Which is a soap in my opinion) have different target audiences.
    The main issue was the story line with Rachel Reid/Brian story line dragging out to much. I loved the first season but I'm not surprised it lost viewers as time went on. It should have progressed faster and they aired Christmas episodes in April/May.

The first season was fine. I discussed it with a good few people and they felt it was a little dark soap at times including the setting. Lighting could have being better(Especially in the Kiely house). Love/Hate and Redrock(Which is a soap in my opinion) have different target audiences.
    The main issue was the story line with Rachel Reid/Brian story line dragging out to much. I loved the first season but I'm not surprised it lost viewers as time went on. It should have progressed faster and they aired Christmas episodes in April/May.

Didn't really lose viewers it was static for most of its run, with the exceptions of first episodes each "season". Really the decision to go with IGT resulted in the axing of the show.

I don't really understand how more adult the series got, considering the producers didn't know of the time change until last summer! I watched a few and I didn't notice anything that couldn't be shown during the day.

Didn't really lose viewers it was static for most of its run, with the exceptions of first episodes each "season". Really the decision to go with IGT resulted in the axing of the show.

I don't really understand how more adult the series got, considering the producers didn't know of the time change until last summer! I watched a few and I didn't notice anything that couldn't be shown during the day.

Just to clear one thing up. I didn't really watch series two because I found it repetitive/going know where.
    The whole thing about it being a bit dark was a reason a few people mentioned to me.(I didn't really notice it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I think it's a bit silly of the head honchos in tv3 to leave what's already recorded until 2018 - they should have ran it as scheduled.

It certainly won't pull in more viewers if people forget about it in the interim.

I preferred the post watershed timeslot - and the longer slot - it should've billed itself as a police drama not a soap - and lost some of the soapy storylines.

How da f*CK fair city pulls more viewers in amazes me. Is it cos fair city is on 4 times a week? Have a better timeslot? Or because it's so bad it's good?

Pretzill wrote: »
    I think it's a bit silly of the head honchos in tv3 to leave what's already recorded until 2018 - they should have ran it as scheduled.

It certainly won't pull in more viewers if people forget about it in the interim.

I preferred the post watershed timeslot - and the longer slot - it should've billed itself as a police drama not a soap - and lost some of the soapy storylines.

How da f*CK fair city pulls more viewers in amazes me. Is it cos fair city is on 4 times a week? Have a better timeslot? Or because it's so bad it's good?

Yeah agree, I think TV3 might be worried RTE will take it up, so the longer they have it the less likely RTE will be to take it.

In terms of audience and soap it would have been better between Coro St which they gave to Xpose!

Fair City has been around for the last 2 decades and that counts for a lot, similar for other soaps.

Fair City, The Late Late Show, Eurovision, Rose of Tralee are always slatted and always end up being some of the most watched programs on TV.
    I

This is when I liked Redrock the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭septern

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/game-over-for-tv3s-red-rock-as-insiders-claim-props-being-sold-36084186.html

according to this article, it is finished. No more episodes will be made [ edit - rumour of 2 more to close off open story lines ] :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭George White

The trouble is that the post-watershed eps are an obstacle, for the BBC still aren't sure what to do with those. I did wonder could the BBC stoke up money a la the same way Channel 5 is the one thing keeping Neighbours afloat.

The trouble is that the post-watershed eps are an obstacle, for the BBC still aren't sure what to do with those. I did wonder could the BBC stoke up money a la the same way Channel 5 is the one thing keeping Neighbours afloat.

Are you sure what was different on the 9pm slot? Again producers were had already produced 22min episodes before the 9pm scheduling decision, I saw nothing that was unsuitable.

also looks like the next 23 eps will be split in 2, imo to avoid RTE taking on the show, if they have any interest. Also BBC was the main funder of Neighbours just as channel 5 is now. They got Red Rock at a snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

septern wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/game-over-for-tv3s-red-rock-as-insiders-claim-props-being-sold-36084186.html

according to this article, it is finished. No more episodes will be made [ edit - rumour of 2 more to close off open story lines ] :(

What a waste of a good show. :mad:

That article still sounds like mere speculation. If the show had been genuinely axed, I think we would know about it by now, not reading something quoting an unnamed 'source'.

Strazdas wrote: »

That article still sounds like mere speculation. If the show had been genuinely axed, I think we would know about it by now, not reading something quoting an unnamed 'source'.

Unless they have approached the BAI for funding it's gone, the producers probably have a fair idea.

• Advertisement

Unless they have approached the BAI for funding it's gone, the producers probably have a fair idea.

It doesnt sound like a lack of funds, it sounds more like a disinterest or even just a laziness in continuing. Having to recreate the sets somewhere else is made to seem like a gargantuan task. Its not like they have iconic sets like Coronation Street or Emmerdale to recreate brick by brick somewhere. Its a costcutter, the neptune cafe and a fairly non-descript building with a sign that says "Garda".

Advertisement