Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European SuperLeague - What Are Your Thoughts?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

And is there another sub league below that one?

No. Two tiers would be good enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No. Two tiers would be good enough

Ah, so it would be a closed shop.

Omackeral wrote: »
    And who's gonna watch that?! Are you not just aswell to watch Fernerbache vs Besikas than you are to watch Galatasary vs Levski Sofia or Slavia Prague. Where does it stop?

People from Turkey. A massive population that are only really interested in 3-4 teams. Same with Bulgaria and the Czech Republic. Tv viewersship would be quite high in those countries for their tier plus the top tier.

Ah, so it would be a closed shop.

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Everyone has their own views on what it should contain. Personally I wouldn't want a closed shop. I'd love a Superleague but with the opportunity to be relegated and promoted to it. Even Bohemians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Dayum wrote: »
    Everyone has their own views on what it should contain.
    Seemingly the vast majority want it to contain nothing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,564 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Can fans of all these clubs afford to go to 19 away trips where most of them are trips abroad? Or do these not matter as long as barstoolers have better football on TV?

CSF wrote: »
    Can fans of all these clubs afford to go to 19 away trips where most of them are trips abroad? Or do these not matter as long as barstoolers have better football on TV?

Who in Gods name goes to every single away match currently anyway?!!?!?

Less than 1% of United fans (for example) will be travelling around England every week never mind across Europe. Old Trafford, the Bridge, Emirates will still be packed to the rafters week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hi. And feel free to meet the many other users here who don't primarily watch football at home or in a pub.

Hi. And feel free to meet the many other users here who don't primarily watch football at home or in a pub.

Well fair play to you. Genuinely.

I wouldn't have the money or the time.

• Advertisement

Less than 1% of United fans (for example) will be travelling around England every week never mind across Europe. Old Trafford, the Bridge, Emirates will still be packed to the rafters week in week out.

I do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Fairly poor game on sky right now. Can't wait til the super league comes in so we're not forced to watch substandard teams like Southampton and Manchester United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Football fans..

It's a sport, not a television show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Well fair play to you. Genuinely.

I wouldn't have the money or the time.

Not that hard to go to away games in the league or Ireland unless it's away to cork for us derry ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Not that hard to go to away games in the league or Ireland unless it's away to cork for us derry ones

Aye that's why nobody goes to away games in the English leagues either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

90+ % of the lads at away games go to every away game. Your talking through your arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

CSF wrote: »

No, it would turn like Spanish football where they are very little away fans

Read there that united took 3000 to Southampton last night, a Monday.

But yeah, European super duper league for United fans who have never been to Manchester

anncoates wrote: »
    Read there that united took 3000 to Southampton last night, a Monday.

But yeah, European super duper league for United fans who have never been to Manchester

They didn't 'take them'. I'd imagine the majority of them we're from the South of England.

• Advertisement

90+ % of the lads at away games go to every away game. Your talking through your arse!

No, you are. Show me the statistics...90% ffs.... :rolleyes:

TimRiggins wrote: »
    They didn't 'take them'. I'd imagine the majority of them we're from the South of England.

Can you prove that?

I know a few lads that travel with them and they say that's usually a myth?

Also beggars belief when you see Irish supporters of the EPL talking here about home counties United fans.

anncoates wrote: »
    Can you prove that?

I know a few lads that travel with them and they say that's usually a myth?

Also beggars belief when you see Irish supporters of the EPL talking here about home counties United fans.

Really? Two of the lads go over to the away games every now and then, Say that a sizeable amount will always be from near wherever the game is.

Who said I'm just an EPL fan? I've had a Sligo Rovers season ticket for the last 11 years and even though I'm emigrating to Canada in May I'm still gonna buy a full one, so i'll have a pop at people from London supporting United instead of their local team.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Who said I'm just an EPL fan?.

Meant generally, not you.

Fair enough but the whole there's no United supporters in Manchester thing is tedious and incorrect though. Was brought up in Manchester and have lots of family there.

No, you are. Show me the statistics...90% ffs.... :rolleyes:
    You still haven't answered the question. Do these people, the biggest fans all these club have, should these people just be disregarded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

With FIFA changing the way the International game is played, a lot of people are starting to talk about the European SuperLeague again and how far off this inevitability we now are...

Everyone from Arsene Wenger to corporate sponsors want it; the reason being that the cash involved would lift the major clubs into the financial stratosphere and at the end of the day the modern game is all about money.

Here's the set up:

A European SuerLeague would operate just as the Premier League or La Liga does now - 20 teams, 38 games. The only difference being: the 20 slots would be filled by Europe's finest. The Champions League would be done away with and the clubs participating in the SuperLeague wouldn't play in their respective domestic national leagues i.e - City, United, Chelsea, Pool would no longer play in the Premiership. But they can be relegated from the ESL down to the Premier League and promoted from the Premier League to the ESL via a top 4 finish and subsequent play-off with other domestic league prospects across Europe. The only contact these superclubs have with other domestic teams will be in the F.A Cup.

Now, a lot of criticism about this set up comes in the form that fans of smaller clubs won't have those "big day outs" and that it would kill domestic leagues but I disagree. In fact, I think it would do the exact opposite; I think it would propel smaller clubs and empower them.

Let's take Celtic or Ajax as two examples:

Celtic are second only to Manchester United in Britain in terms of weekly support turning up at Parkhead. Yet, because they're trapped in the SPL (a small league with little competition) they cannot live up to their full potential. The same with Ajax - a great footballing institution that has produced numerous household names from it's academy and yet it's trapped in a fringe league with little financial punch.

The ESL wouldn't be a closed shop. Clubs can be relegated and promoted from and to it so that's why I can't see it destroying the domestic leagues.

Are you in favour of the EuropeanSuperLeague or not?!

Not in favour of it - especially not in that form.

Issues include;
    - Will it still be called a European Super League if 12 of the 20 teams are all from Spain we'll say? Because that promotion/relegation play off model allows for that to happen after a few years. The entire league would be made up of teams from 4 or 5 countries.

- What are the players who are used to playing 38 domestic games + say 10 CL games going to do with all their extra time?

- Why not have 3 or 4 divisions of Europe league?

- Why not still have a knockout European Cup competition?

- Everton and Spurs would win PL titles. Villareal or Sevilla wold win La Liga's. Fiorentina and Parma would win Serie A's. etc. Why bother if even winning it doesn't guarantee promotion into the European super league and you effectively have to go and win another title for that promotion? Why would anyone go to or watch any of those games or why would broadcasters pay big bucks to screen them? Would The second division games even be worth it if there wasn't a decent league to be eventually promoted to? Would they really destroy hundreds of football clubs so that 20 can be launched into the 'financial stratosphere'?

These clubs themselves probably would, but UEFA will never sanction it. And so the only way it can happen is if there's a breakaway from UEFA/FIFA which also destroys international football. Just for these chosen few clubs?

I hope not!

• Advertisement
Advertisement