Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacement car for wife - all suggestions welcome

• 07-12-2014 4:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20

Hi all, was hoping people could provide a couple of recommendations to me for a replacement t car for my wife. Budget wise we are talking 12.5K - she does very little driving every year , probably looking at 6000 to 7000 kilometres a year as we live reasonably close to where she works. If possible would love to get a car from 2010 onwards but if not feasible with our budget please let me know. She is not entirely comfortable with saloons as she has always driven a hatchback but knows she needs a bigger car than a hatchback going forward due to family etc. We are open to all recommendations/brands - we have no bias/prejudice against any manufacturer, just would aim for something that is reliable and fuel efficient, with her low mileage I am assuming we could stick with petrol only as she does not drive enough to warrant investment in diesel unless there was a great offer out there. Appreciate any help that can be provided. My first time organising a car for her so just want to get it right!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A Skoda Octavia 1.4 petrol sounds like it would be the perfect car for her. Its a hatchback has a huge boot and lots of room in the car too. It is good to look at well equipped.good to drive,reliable and there should be plenty within your budget too. Or you could look at a Seot Leon it has a bit more style but I still think the Skoda would be the better car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

VW golf plus might be worth a look too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Thank Goodness! For a moment there I thought this was some kind of bizarre personal ad...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 Funtrepreneur

How about replacement wife for car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

+1 for the Octavia, more seriously. Mine loves hers (a diesel automatic).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20 Lambanna

Thanks all for the advice, neighbour has an Octavia so I'll ask them can we take a spin with them in it. Future-entrepreneur, thanks for the tip, I'll put it in the fall back option list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

A 1.4 Octavia is a miserable car unless it is the turbo one and even then they are no great shakes.

1.8 petrol Civic? My girlfriend got one recently for similar usage, the average economy has been over 40mpg since she picked it up and should just keep going and going.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Ethel

You would get a 09-10 Corolla for that ball park figure. Reliable car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭braddun

I will give you a diesel for your wife

is she a good runner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ethel wrote: »
    You would get a 09-10 Corolla for that ball park figure. Reliable car.

Corolla is a saloon. Its also relatively small inside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Something like a Honda Jazz might be looking at too:

media?xwm=y&id=bd508c59-6d36-4c5b-bf7f-ccf9f98e1d5e&width=400&height=300
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Honda/Jazz/1.4-I/38713908427847750/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

OP would you consider a brand new Dacia. The car comes with a five year warranty and new they start at about 10K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

If you want a hatchback that has loads of room for a family I highly recommend the ford C Max. It has 3 individual seats in the back so takes 3 car seats or 2 seats and a passenger very comfortably plus boot is really big for buggies, bikes, shopping and all that family crap.

Advertisement