Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiction book about Irish famine

Options
  • 07-12-2014 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Read a fiction book about Irish famine & can't remember the name of it.almost sure there's a sequel I'd love to read.lead characters name was Katie she married & had number children as the famine hit...she had twins who died & at the end of the book she & her family were on the road to emigrating to America...anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Was it Under the Hawthorne Tree by Marita Conlon McKenna?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Niamhc3

no its not that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Katie’s Wish? By Barbara Shook-Hazen.

No not that either I think sorrow is in the title...

Was it for young adults or adults? There are a few I can think of but most are teenager books.

• Advertisement

adults female audience I expect story starts with female lead dumping one suitor for another maryin him and having loads of babies a side story is about the rich protestant family with the big house as far as I recall her dad was a gatekeeper...the famine is introduced fairly early so as to show te suffering...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Is it one of the Brendan Graham trilogy? The Whitest Flower, The Element of Fire, and The Brightest Day The Darkest Night tell the story of Ellen Rua O'Malley but I don't remember a Katie.

Oh! Echo Beach, you've reminded me of the ''O'Breen Women Trilogy'': Wild Kentucky Rose, Letters from Katie, The End of the Tracks.

No sorry it's none of those..her eldest child was called Mary Kate or Mary ann there was a Brigid too n I think a Kay...the town she lived in was devasted by the famine almost everyone died or moved

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭worker bee

Dreams of Other Days by Elaine Crowley

When Katy O'Donnell marries handsome, swaggering,hard-drinking Jamsie O'Hara she is as fresh and filled with dreams as her mistress, Catherine Kilgoran, marrying in silk and lace up at the big house.

The story of two families whose fortunes are inextricably linked, and of a small, close-knit community bound together by tradition and by tragedy, it is also a tender and truthful portrayal of a marriage and of a woman whose indomitable spirit remains unbowed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement