Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Fantasy NFL : Bench Size

Options
  • 07-12-2014 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

Poll and discussion about Changing the Bench Size next Season. Right now the Bench size is 5.

League Bench Sizes? 62 votes

0%
    5 (Current Setup)
    32%
    RaphaelTristramf1danDBIrelandmatthew8setanta74Mr. GuappaDDC1990IcepickleradharcGoldFour4CJC86Dohnny JeppBenimarLightningBluewawamanRealt Dearg SecmistermatthewBKWDRLiam2012 20 votes
    58%
    smackbunnybabyMcGBizzyCpadraig_fdavetheraveUnitedIrishmanadrian522poldebruinAdamcp898Spongey1975Raoulcurry-muffkev_s88eagle eyejester1980D3POboccy23fisgonjohnmcdnlkingcobra 36 votes
    9%
    DodgeBluredSK1979Podge_irlBlue Shamrockkeithdelahunty 6 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

7 really !!!!

I didn't see anybody ask for a larger bench just a discussion about decreasing it to 4. Shouldn't we really keep the voting to what people have discussed ? Not that I think anybody is going to vote on that but still :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Yes, I agree that the waiver pool is fairly thin as it is without people hoarding talent on the bench.

I can see the appeal of the 4 space bench. It makes everything a bit more tactical, and there will be more managing to be done as a result - which I like, rather than setting your team and forgetting about it.

It should also make the bye weeks much more difficult to navigate. That said, with the proposals to reduce the number of teams per division also in the mix there could be a flood of players on the wire making it easier to pick up talent.

I think 5 places in a 16 man league is too much and the idea of 6 or more boggles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

D3PO wrote: »
    7 really !!!!

I didn't see anybody ask for a larger bench just a discussion about decreasing it to 4. Shouldn't we really keep the voting to what people have discussed ? Not that I think anybody is going to vote on that but still :)

One person suggested it so as it was suggested it gets an option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

5 (Current Setup)
    I'd really advocate a 4 player bench. Would make things even more tactical and improve the quality of the free agent pool/waiver wire. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's holding on to a player or two I don't really need simply cause I have the space on my bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

5 (Current Setup)
    Absolutely agree. I think it would lead to a much more dynamic weekly gameplay that would make everything much more exciting and fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

D3PO wrote: »
    7 really !!!!

I didn't see anybody ask for a larger bench just a discussion about decreasing it to 4.

I want it increased. Not to 7 but I think 5 is too small

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

I've gone for 5, but I actually meant to go for 4!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Keep it the way it is, and definitely don't increase it, that'll lead to nothing of interest on waivers.

Bumping up until they get stickied

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

5 (Current Setup)
    Voted for a drop to 4. This move would be far more helpful to weak teams than any change to the waiver wire would be, as it would add 16 decent players to the FA pool, plus it makes it harder for teams to hoard 2 QBs or TEs, which could mean greater trade activity.

• Advertisement

Bumping so it gets noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

5 (Current Setup)
    So disappointed to see the proposal to reduce bench size losing like this. Out of all the changes proposed I really believe this would have made our boards league much more dynamic and fun. Obviously I say this as someone who loves trading and is very active on the waiver wire and picking up free agents. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭f1dan

5 (Current Setup)
    Tristram wrote: »
    So disappointed to see the proposal to reduce bench size losing like this. Out of all the changes proposed I really believe this would have made our boards league much more dynamic and fun. Obviously I say this as someone who loves trading and is very active on the waiver wire and picking up free agents. Oh well.

I think this is especially important in the premier division where it is incredibly competitive. I can't speak for any of the other divisions.

I don't know if anyone else would be influenced in the same way as me but if 5 man bench is going to be the clear winner then I would find myself more inclined to vote for a 14 team league to offset this even though I rather stay at 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Tristram wrote: »

Of all the changes mooted this is the one I leaned towards the most - the change from 5 to 4 bench spaces. I don't think there is a huge difference between the two to be honest. At the end of the day, I opted to vote to stay as we are at 5 for a number of reasons:

-We already know it is quite a successful system, having played it that way over many seasons on Boards. The balance is not far off perfect I would think.

-Reluctance to bring in such a wholesale change without testing it. I would like one of the ad hoc boards leagues next year to maybe trial the 4 space idea and report back.

-One of the things I like about fantasy is trying to predict a breakout player a week or two (or four!) before they hit. A bench of less than 5 makes it extremely difficult to commit a valuable bench space to a flyer like that. It would effectively remove that aspect from the game.

-On a related note, it's sometimes nice to look ahead a couple of weeks into the schedule and look for favourable kicker or Defence matchups and pick them up to play further down the line. Again, the smaller bench size (and the requirement to throw a valuable piece back into the waiver pool) would remove this tactic.

Advertisement