Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

spotted in UCD library

Options
  • 07-12-2014 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭

For anyone unaware this is a Facebook page where people post statuses and pics of other people in the library. There have been incidents of bullying on it previously so is it a good idea to keep this page going?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭beauty101

I used to think this page was hilarious but recently I've noticed a lot of photos of students being posted and some abusive comments in the comments sections.

I don't think it should be taken down but the content should be monitored better.

There are several UCD pages of that sort of nature on Facebook these days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Identifying and taking pictures of people is a disgusting thing. There was "Spotted at the UCD exams" where people were saying horrible things about invigilators some of which was of a sexual nature and was quite upsetting to those described in the status updates.

Heres one "To the brunette female invigilator of the 3pm exam today 09/05/14 wearing the purple hoody under a black fur hooded jacket, tight blue jeans and converse who walked by me every few minutes, constantly stood in front of me and eventually sat in the seat ahead of me.. I would like to thank your parents for creating such a fine specimen of a woman.. And I would like to thank you personally just for being there today.. Failing that exam doesn't seem so bad now. PS... I thought it was hot when you dropped all the exam papers on the ground with about half an hour to go.. I enjoyed watching your perfect bum as you squat to pick them up individually (nice tactics ) Yours anonymously.. The lad you couldn't take your eyes off at seat no. 716. xo"

Should be indentified and ****ed out of the university

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Riamfada wrote: »
    Identifying and taking pictures of people is a disgusting thing. There was "Spotted at the UCD exams" where people were saying horrible things about invigilators some of which was of a sexual nature and was quite upsetting to those described in the status updates.

Heres one "To the brunette female invigilator of the 3pm exam today 09/05/14 wearing the purple hoody under a black fur hooded jacket, tight blue jeans and converse who walked by me every few minutes, constantly stood in front of me and eventually sat in the seat ahead of me.. I would like to thank your parents for creating such a fine specimen of a woman.. And I would like to thank you personally just for being there today.. Failing that exam doesn't seem so bad now. PS... I thought it was hot when you dropped all the exam papers on the ground with about half an hour to go.. I enjoyed watching your perfect bum as you squat to pick them up individually (nice tactics ) Yours anonymously.. The lad you couldn't take your eyes off at seat no. 716. xo"

If he kept that thought to himself would it have been acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

A lot of these Facebook group things just devolve into competitive 'banter' as everyone wants to get in on the original premise, but in trying to find comedy beyond it, to not milk the joke, everything escalates to a bit of a sinister level.

Look at that 'Spotted in UCD' thing, and its many variants. In the last year I've been tracking it, it's gone from gentle parody of UCD life to that above example of a guy narrating his own version of Morrissey's 'Jack the Ripper'.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

That's what I'm talking about. It's sexual harassment if anything is.

• Advertisement

If he kept that thought to himself would it have been acceptable?

Cant do someone for thought crime just yet but yes, it should be kept to himself and there shouldn't be a public platform for sexual harassment of other UCD students and staff which those people can read.

Cant do someone for thought crime just yet but yes, it should be kept to himself and there shouldn't be a public platform for sexual harassment of other UCD students and staff which those people can read.

The quote you mentioned doesn't scream sexual harassment to be honest having re-read it a number of times. It's anonymous so arguable whether both the writer and invigilator actually were at the exam. Don't take such an ignorant, single-minded view unless you can prove that there is non-fiction harm occurring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

The quote you mentioned doesn't scream sexual harassment to be honest having re-read it a number of times. It's anonymous so arguable whether both the writer and invigilator actually were at the exam. Don't take such an ignorant, single-minded view unless you can prove that there is non-fiction harm occurring.

... What?

The quote you mentioned doesn't scream sexual harassment to be honest having re-read it a number of times.

Well that is a point of view I guess. It does to me and just because you deem it otherwise doesn't make your opinion any more valid than mine. Nor does it make my opinion "ignorant or single-minded".

I cant prove that there is non-fiction harm occurring but having friends who invigilate and are aware of these comments on the page. Opinions range from disagreeing with the page to upset they have been mentioned on it. It has been brought to the attention of UCD as far as I know but authorities have failed or are unable to act on it.

Whether you chose to believe this information is entirely up to, honestly I don't care.

I fail to see how anonymity in the quote I took from the page has any bearing on the overall concept of the page as a platform to "leer" and make sexual remarks towards staff and other students? Im amazed that people think that this sort of behaviour is remotely acceptable. I assume they are the same people who draw dicks on the back of the toilet doors in the JJ.

Well that is a point of view I guess. It does to me and just because you deem it otherwise doesn't make your opinion any more valid than mine. Nor does it make my opinion "ignorant or single-minded".

I cant prove that there is non-fiction harm occurring but having friends who invigilate and are aware of these comments on the page. Opinions range from disagreeing with the page to upset they have been mentioned on it. It has been brought to the attention of UCD as far as I know but authorities have failed or are unable to act on it.

Whether you chose to believe this information is entirely up to, honestly I don't care.

I fail to see how anonymity in the quote I took from the page has any bearing on the overall concept of the page as a platform to "leer" and make sexual remarks towards staff and other students? Im amazed that people think that this sort of behaviour is remotely acceptable. I assume they are the same people who draw dicks on the back of the toilet doors in the JJ.

Why not ban access to the internet as that serves as a platform to say anything to anyone? Unless that Facebook page has proven to have bullied, harassed, defamed etc. then there is no issue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement