Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Fantasy NFL : Positions

• 07-12-2014 5:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

Discussion and Poll for next Seasons Positions. So far we use:

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR , TE, K, DEF.

The suggestions from the Fantasy thread were:

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, K, DEF

or

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, WR/TE, K, DEF

What position Lineup would you like to have? 73 votes

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR , TE, K, DEF (Current)
    0%
    49%
    Chucky the treesmackbunnybabyRaphaelpadraig_fBluredadrian522poldebruinAdamcp898f1danDBIrelandmatthew8Mr. GuappaIcepicklejester1980radharcD3POkingcobraGoldFour4robfullamGuffy 36 votes
    50%
    nasty_crashFastFullBackDodgeMcGJohnny_FontaneBizzyCdavetheraveTristramUnitedIrishmanAbusesToiletsAgent JSpongey1975SK1979Raoulcurry-muffslowharryAirDemonsetanta74kev_s88Podge_irl 37 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I had been an advocate of the flex or wr/te combo before but no more.

I'm taking part in another Boards league that is using the flex, and I have to admit, it makes team choice every week a complete no brainer. Never a decision to be made, I can always slot in my "next best player" and feels very samey every week.

Also, any incentive to put 2 TE or more on the bench should be discouraged. More than any position the talent/points/tiers for that position fall off very quickly. In today's league you should be able to acquire a serviceable stable of WRs from week to week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I voted for the offensive flex.

FWIW if both flex votes reach more than the current system, I think the vote should be "run off" between 2 top vote getters

i.e. I think if more people vote for change than the status quo, I think it should be allowed happen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Voting to keep the status quo. Running Backs and Tight Ends are scarce enough in a 16 team league as it is, so I don't see the sense in giving the option to field more of them. You will always find it easier to pick up a serviceable WR.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭In Exile

I've gone status quo too. I love having to FA deep dive to try find a differential. No better feeling when your WR 3 scores 10 points when you were only hoping to score more than 0.1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Voted to keep it the way it is, the amount of available talent available at each position would mean the majority would end up playing a WR at flex anyway essentially making the change moot.

That being said I do have Shady, Le'Veon, Forsett, and Ingram in another league and I'd be lost without the flex position :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

Dodge wrote: »
    I voted for the offensive flex.

FWIW if both flex votes reach more than the current system, I think the vote should be "run off" between 2 top vote getters

i.e. I think if more people vote for change than the status quo, I think it should be allowed happen

Honestly no I don't agree. All 3 are separate votes. The majority option wins plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm totally against the flex option. In a 16 team league is difficult enough to find to good RBs, a flex option is going to mean players will struggle to draft two semi-decent running backs due to demand.

If I could vote again I'd vote for the current system just to make sure we don't end up with flex. Imo it will ruin the leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

totally agree eagle eye could you imagine the bench being increased as a vote in aswell how that would screw things up !!

Im very much of the view if it aint broken don't fix it. Only change I have voted for is the scheduling one because I think it is a good one without it inherently changing the game that said I wouldn't be upset if that was voted down either.

D3PO wrote: »
    totally agree eagle eye could you imagine the bench being increased as a vote in aswell how that would screw things up !!

Im very much of the view if it aint broken don't fix it. Only change I have voted for is the scheduling one because I think it is a good one without it inherently changing the game that said I wouldn't be upset if that was voted down either.

One of my biggest gripes with Fantasy over the years is that people want to try and change thing to make it "Easier" or more "Fun" for themselves. The problem is Fun and Easier are things that come down to to each their own.

Personally I find no problems with any system used as I use strategies to counter act the differences. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't and then luck factors in.

What I love about the Boards league is that they for me are the last remaining league that uses the default settings the old school way the hardest way to play and this makes it more fun for me. Too many leagues are moving to the flex and extra positions because people don't have the time to put the effort in.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

tbh i went for the flex option - yeah there is not a lot of depth already in 18-20 man league - but i fell with the flex it will even out the leagues a lot more - you may be rb strong - or wr strong and you can load up on them! think it would only be a good thing to change - but if it stays the same then so be it!

• Advertisement

a vote for flex basically kills any prospect of trades in the boards leagues. if your wr or rb strong your not going to trade when you can put them in as a flex.

I really hope the current system prevails. A flex option is a really retrograde step IMO.

D3PO wrote: »
    a vote for flex basically kills any prospect of trades in the boards leagues. if your wr or rb strong your not going to trade when you can put them in as a flex.

I really hope the current system prevails. A flex option is a really retrograde step IMO.

I have a feeling the flex will win out as will the 5 man bench and the reset every week on the waiver wire making the leagues in my eyes a sh1t show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

I think Flex will destroy any hope of getting a serviceable fill-in running back on bye weeks or in case of injuries.

I think Flex will destroy any hope of getting a serviceable fill-in running back on bye weeks or in case of injuries.

I agree. What I dont get is why others don't see that as an issue. Watch people moan in threads when they lose their backs :D Especially with a 5 man bench and Resetting waiver wire. Going to put a lot of stock in backs in draft.

Am I allowed to change my vote from WR/TE to the way it is at the moment? I'd like to change it, never thought before I voted that flex would garner so many votes.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Am I allowed to change my vote from WR/TE to the way it is at the moment? I'd like to change it, never thought before I voted that flex would garner so many votes.

Dont think so unless a mod can do it

im sure a mod can. pm the mods and see what they can do.

Please read this before you vote

Guys, I'm begging you all not to vote for the flex option. It will ruin the our fantasy football because it will make it impossible for everybody to draft enough running backs.

We will end up with a situation where some teams will not be able to field two running backs.

If the flex option wins this vote it could end the whole league system we have because people will become disinterested which would be very sad imo.

Please, please, please vote for the option to remain the same as it is now.

Bit of an overreaction. I'd be starting WRs as flex nearly all the time if we had a choice

Bit of an overreaction. I'd be starting WRs as flex nearly all the time if we had a choice
    You think so? Can you explain to me how the draft is going to go with a flex position. I know for sure that my target would be to have four RBs in the first eight rounds rounds and I think everybody would be looking at it the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Maybe so, but teams will hoard RBs with the Flex. Due to a lack of RB's, I had to roll with Benny Cunningham as my RB2 in the Premier League for the last 4/5 weeks of the season. That situation will be far more common if the Flex wins this vote - I know that I would draft RB in 3 of the first 4 rounds, and probably another couple in the next 4 rounds too.

You think so? Can you explain to me how the draft is going to go with a flex position. I know for sure that my target would be to have four RBs in the first eight rounds rounds and I think everybody would be looking at it the same way.

Well then loads of value at wide receiver for others. The draft will go the same as usual. Players have different strategies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

Well then loads of value at wide receiver for others. The draft will go the same as usual. Players have different strategies

The flex does not pose problems with the draft or with player selection week to week, but it does curtail "management" type activity during the season. It is the management aspect that interests me the most in FF. Sure the tracking stats and winning weekly matchups is good, but if I'm honest, it's reading up about players and trying to nab them before they hit that gives me the most fun.

-We will all adjust tactics in the draft, but in reality it devalues the draft as well. There is less tactical drafting when you have a catch all position.

-No need to try and get extra depth via a trade for a surplus star player on the bench - you get to play him every week.

-WR/RB/TE on a bye? No problem play whichever one of the three replacements you want to cover.

-Worried your team is RB/WR/TE heavy, leaving you exposed? No problem plug whatever you have into the flex position.

-Short at RB but rich in WR? No need to rebalance your team through waivers or trades, flex to the rescue, Sit tight.

-Injury bug hit your team? Flex bails you out again.

.....and this is the same for every team in the league, so there is no competitive advantage to you at all.

Might be loads of value at WR but its a lot easier to pick up serviceable WRs than it is RBs.

There are 32 teams in the league and most have one decent RB for fantasy purposes. 24 RBs have averaged more than 7.5 points per week. We have 16 team leagues with 2 RBs required every week and that is without a flex. Do the math, if there is a flex and some of us draft three RBs in the first four rounds then teams will be starting the likes of Turbin, Randle etc. every week as their starter.

Might be loads of value at WR but its a lot easier to pick up serviceable WRs than it is RBs.

There are 32 teams in the league and most have one decent RB for fantasy purposes. 24 RBs have averaged more than 7.5 points per week. We have 16 team leagues with 2 RBs required every week and that is without a flex. Do the math, if there is a flex and some of us draft three RBs in the first four rounds then teams will be starting the likes of Turbin, Randle etc. every week as their starter.

I don't think you understand me. I simply don't care if you think it's harder.

If teams want to draft 4 RBs in the first 7 rounds, I'll happily take better WRs instead

I don't think you understand me. I simply don't care if you think it's harder.

If teams want to draft 4 RBs in the first 7 rounds, I'll happily take better WRs instead
    You don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

I'm not saying its harder, I'm saying it will ruin the league because lots of teams will not be able to compete due to having no depth at RB for the two RB positions.

If you are unlucky enough that your premium RB goes on IR you can forget about signing up his handcuff because he will have been drafted.

regardless of your argument on which side you fall re RB talent being hoarded or not.

The fact is the change will seriously impede on the whole functionality of player trades and weather your see it as a pro or a con it will impact on drafts to the point it will arguably make things more competitively uneven, yes some people will adapt well to the draft but many will not and a change like this is likely to make the gap between the top and bottom teams in a league larger.

that in my view is a negative because the likely consequence of that is more players giving up mid season and potentially a drop off in people entering the boards leagues.

most of us are in other leagues outside the boards one that run flex options, why would you want to change this one to be a cookie cutter of another one your in ? Personally I have no interest in playing in diff leagues with the same setup.

I'm in 3 leagues all run different setups and for me that's interesting to me. If two of them become samey that's no longer interesting and im likely to drop out of one.

You don't seem to understand what I'm saying.

I'm not saying its harder, I'm saying it will ruin the league because lots of teams will not be able to compete due to having no depth at RB for the two RB positions.

If you are unlucky enough that your premium RB goes on IR you can forget about signing up his handcuff because he will have been drafted.

Here's who I had this year starting at RB.

Jamaal Charles
    DeAngelo Williams
    Danny Woodhead
    Lorenzo Taliaferro
    Branden Oliver
    Jerick McKinnon
    Knile Davis

All of them have helped me win games. I think you're overestimating the importance of RBs in fantasy football now

Jamaal Charles
    DeAngelo Williams
    Danny Woodhead
    Lorenzo Taliaferro
    Branden Oliver
    Jerick McKinnon
    Knile Davis

All of them have helped me win games. I think you're overestimating the importance of RBs in fantasy football now
    In a two back league that is fine. Now imagine a league where people want three RBs to start. You would have Jamaal Charles, Taliaferro and Davis/McKinnon. No much good to you for the first eight or so weeks.

• Advertisement

Jamaal Charles
    DeAngelo Williams
    Danny Woodhead
    Lorenzo Taliaferro
    Branden Oliver
    Jerick McKinnon
    Knile Davis

if you believe the role of the RB has diminished why would you be arguing to vote for one less WR spot to become a flex spot where realistically your going to be plugging in a RB if you don't stay with the status quo ?

what exactly is your point in voting for the change ......

you just shat on your whole argument :D

Advertisement