Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Fantasy NFL : Positions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, FLEX, K, DEF
    I play in 2 other 16 man leagues with the flex position. The two main probelms in the league:

Fook all RB if you get injuries and Fook all TE if you get injuries.

Not only do RB zap up in the league so do TE. Now people will say why would we depend on our RB or putting too much value in them. I will tell you why because that extra 5-10 point you could have scored extra per game with a decent RB, Which could have been the difference of a win in a competitive league. As for TE you lose your starting TE in a 16 man Flex league forget about finding a serviceable backup. That is another 5-10 points lost every game.

So if you end up in both situations of losing your starting back and TE you could potentially lose 10-20 a game. For me that is a big loss. Some might say its not but in competitive leagues were games run close that is a big margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

TO. wrote: »
    I play in 2 other 16 man leagues with the flex position. The two main probelms in the league:

Fook all RB if you get injuries and Fook all TE if you get injuries.

Not only do RB zap up in the league so do TE. Now people will say why would we depend on our RB or putting too much value in them. I will tell you why because that extra 5-10 point you could have scored extra per game with a decent RB, Which could have been the difference of a win in a competitive league. As for TE you lose your starting TE in a 16 man Flex league forget about finding a serviceable backup. That is another 5-10 points lost every game.

So if you end up in both situations of losing your starting back and TE you could potentially lose 10-20 a game. For me that is a big loss. Some might say its not but in competitive leagues were games run close that is a big margin.

totally agree. I think this is the most pertinent post in this whole thread. somebody in a 16 man league with a flex who has direct experience of its implications.

people should read and double read this. People can argue what they want but nothing trumps direct experience of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,273 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, WR/TE, K, DEF
    D3PO wrote: »
    totally agree. I think this is the most pertinent post in this whole thread. somebody in a 16 man league with a flex who has direct experience of its implications.

people should read and double read this. People can argue what they want but nothing trumps direct experience of the situation.

Ha ha. Do you think he's the only one? Come on now...

Dodge wrote: »

haha Definitely not the only one but my take on the situation either way given what was previously posted.

Where did I say that .....

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »
    Where did I say that .....

So would you encourage people to read and re-read my posts as they come from someone who plays in a 16 team league with flex?

So would you encourage people to read and re-read my posts as they come from someone who plays in a 16 team league with flex?

Does it really matter though? If he feels strongly towards the current system that is up to him. Lets not turn this thread into cat fight. Personally anyone voting should read every post and make their own mind up whether they choose to take the advice on board or not.

What I would say to anyone on either side of the coin write up your experiences also playing in 16 man leagues with the flex if you feel strongly about your own vote. That way you are informing the voters on how its going to be when the flex comes in or doesnt come in.

Dodge I would encourage you and others to give your experience of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,274 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

TO, the voice of reason, whats the world coming to?!:D

you didn't make any pertinent posts in that regard but yeah I would. im not really sure where your going with this ? you need a hug or something ? :rolleyes:

Does it really matter though?

No, you're right. It doesn't

The thing is I don't even feel that strongly on the issue! I'd prefer the flex (as I enjoy having options) but I've said I'm more than happy if no changes happen to the league at all.

Apologies for the high-hosedness lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Well then loads of value at wide receiver for others. The draft will go the same as usual. Players have different strategies

Exactly.

There has been quite a bit of hyperbole and scaremongering about the introduction of a flex position. If we are to believe certain posters, the very future of Boards leagues is in jeopardy if we go for a flex.

I also have played in 16 team leagues with a flex, and the sky doesn't fall in. RBs may be a slight premium, but because there is more depth at WR, most people are playing a WR at flex anyway. There may be four or five extra RBs owned in the league, but then that means that there are four or five better WRs available too. It all balances out, if teams stock up on RBs they will lose out on WRs, just as now. As now, you have to weigh up where to put your priorities.

And as for teams scoring 5-10 fewer points, that makes no sense. Exactly the same number of points are scored in a league with a flex as without.

The advantage of the flex is, as the name suggests, it gives you more flexibility, especially during bye weeks or if you have a big injury. It is by far the best option for a 16 team league.

fisgon wrote: »
    Exactly.

hyperbole and scaremongering .

Hyperbole and scaremongering what? People are not allowed voice their opinion or concerns based on their own experience without it being called scaremongering and hyperbole? Fair enough great way to offer a counter argument. Nonsense.

Hyperbole and scaremongering what? People are not allowed voice their opinion or concerns based on their own experience without it being called scaremongering and hyperbole? Fair enough great way to offer a counter argument. Nonsense.

I actually made a few clear arguments in my post, but of course it is easier to just dismiss an opinion you don't like as "nonsense", rather than accepting that someone has a different opinion to you.

And let's look at some of the things said on this topic...
    "I'm begging you all not to vote for the flex option. It will ruin the our fantasy football"...
    and ...
    "If the flex option wins this vote it could end the whole league system"
    and ...
    "you could potentially lose 10-20 a game"
    (this of course is simply not true, no-one loses 10-20 points a game because of a flex)

So yes, absolutely, hyperbole and scaremongering.

We should be able to discuss this topic without descending into exaggeration, apocalyptic forecasts of doom and the end of Boards FF as we know it.

We should be able to discuss this topic without descending into exaggeration, apocalyptic forecasts of doom and the end of Boards FF as we know it.

Edit: Fair enough that is your opinion and my apologies for using the word nonsense probably too harsh

I
    "you could potentially lose 10-20 a game"
    (this of course is simply not true, no-one loses 10-20 points a game because of a flex)

So yes, absolutely, hyperbole and scaremongering.

Your a muppet. Don't take part of a quote I make and call it hyperbole. Post the whole fu(king thing. Where I explained a scenario where flex could contribute to that in contrast to how the same situation would play out in the current setup.

its pathetic that you need to go take a few words and quote them out of context to make an argument. If you cant properly rebut somebodies opinion then don't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

The advantage of the flex is, as the name suggests, it gives you more flexibility, especially during bye weeks or if you have a big injury.

This is the crux of the issue. This is all flex does. It does not ruin a draft, affect scoring or competitiveness in the league. It just makes it easier by giving you more flexibility.

Now if you want FF to be easier, or don't like the management aspect of it then flex would be your preference. This is the opposite of what I enjoy in fantasy, and why I'm so opposed to it. It's like stabilisers on a bike for a child.

poldebruin wrote: »
    This is the crux of the issue. This is all flex does. It does not ruin a draft, affect scoring or competitiveness in the league. It just makes it easier by giving you more flexibility.

Now if you want FF to be easier, or don't like the management aspect of it then flex would be your preference. This is the opposite of what I enjoy in fantasy, and why I'm so opposed to it. It's like stabilisers on a bike for a child.

I take your point, but I would question whether a flex makes things easier. Other people have made the point here that RBs are more scarce with a flex position, which is true to a certain extent, so it is a little harder to find a good RB, and probably easier to get a good WR. There are swings and roundabouts. Trickier in some respects, maybe easier in others.

I don't think it gets rid of the management aspect either, it changes it sure, but you still have to carefully manage your team, whatever setup we use. Whatever the rules we have, it is always going to be a challenge to put out a good starting lineup in a 16 team league.

If you lose your no.1 running back in flex you are in a pretty big hole.

The reason for this is that every backup will have been drafted. Basically your season is over if you lose your top running back unless you have had an incredible draft.

eagle eye wrote: »
    If you lose your no.1 running back in flex you are in a pretty big hole.

The reason for this is that every backup will have been drafted. Basically your season is over if you lose your top running back unless you have had an incredible draft.

I love how some saying having flex makes it too easy while others think it could make it too hard :)

I love how some saying having flex makes it too easy while others think it could make it too hard :)
    I didn't say hard, its just about luck with the flex option. As I said if you lose your top running back you are in trouble, there are no ifs or buts about it.

Its not hard, its not easy its just senseless to have a flex option in a 16 team league.

There is actually a good chance I would do very well in it because I'll be taking running backs in every round until I'm happy I have enough of them. I'll worry about the rest of my team then.

• Advertisement

People are always going to have a difference of opinion for why they want it. So what if some see it hard and some see it easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

Ah jaysus, can I change my vote? I really thought that it was a run-off between the current system and WR/TE when I voted, so I'm one of the two vote in no-man's land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

CJC86 wrote: »
    Ah jaysus, can I change my vote? I really thought that it was a run-off between the current system and WR/TE when I voted, so I'm one of the two vote in no-man's land.

I think the mods can change it, but if not we will take it into account when tallying up the votes. What's your new vote, current system or Flex?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭CJC86

Oh, thought I'd mentioned that. Current system all the way. I honestly can't believe how many people have voted for the Flex, it will completely ruin the RB position.

I think the mods can change it, but if not we will take it into account when tallying up the votes. What's your new vote, current system or Flex?
    And I'm the other one on WR/TE and I also want to change my vote to keeping things as they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Sweet. Really haven't a clue if mods/admins can change votes but sure as I said, I'm sure we can tally up at the end. We'll have to double check all the polls anyway to make sure we only count people who are actually involved in the leagues here. Don't know why anyone else would vote if they're not involved but just to be certain!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Sweet. Really haven't a clue if mods/admins can change votes but sure as I said, I'm sure we can tally up at the end. We'll have to double check all the polls anyway to make sure we only count people who are actually involved in the leagues here. Don't know why anyone else would vote if they're not involved but just to be certain!

Bound to be a few!

Im sure no one would object if you changed your vote and we just note your change at the end. Obviously the poll wont reflect the change but Im sure most in here would have no problems with others doing the same long before the poll closes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Really don't know how a flex would even be feasible in a 16 team league. It's tough enough to get value at flex in 10-12 man leagues.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    And I'm the other one on WR/TE and I also want to change my vote to keeping things as they are.

I thought I was (and I'd move my vote to the other change) but maybe mods can check

Advertisement