Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Fantasy NFL : Manually Setting the Scheduling

• 07-12-2014 5:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭

As per JaMarcusHustles would you be in favour of fixing the Scheduling to mimic the NFL and making sure if we keep the 4 Divisions in our Leagues that you get properly defined set of games:

NOTE: If the 14 team leagues win this will then become void.

So YES you want his system or NO you are happy with the current system

See his post here:
    There’s been some discussion lately about how the divisions seem to be a bit pointless seeing as you don’t always play the people in your division due to the schedule being randomized. So rather than switch to a 16 team division, why don’t we just fix the scheduling instead? Easiest way to do this is just to copy the current conference model, except over 13 games rather than 16. Example:

6 games: 2 games vs each division rival – ideally your first 3 games and last 3 games of the season to make things interesting.

3 games: Versus those who finished in the same position in their division that you did last year, i.e. if you won your division, then you play the 3 teams who also won their divisions.

3 games: Matched up with one of the other divisions, you play the remaining team you haven’t faced above (you’ll have already faced one of them as they finished in the same position you did)

1 game: One random game against a team that doesn’t fall into your schedule above.

The best thing about this it creates a bit of divisional rivalry, and mirrors how the NFL conferences work to an extent. I think it would be far more interesting and fun. An example of this using current NFL AFC teams:

QNujPBY.jpg

The downside is that the GMs will have to manually set the schedule, but the beauty of this is the above spreadsheet is all formula driven. So the hard work is done, all you have to is input the team names on the side and it will generate the schedule for you. As for the teams that get relegated, simply replace them with their counterparts who are getting promoted.

Would there be any support for such a system?

The JaMarcusHustle 4 Conference Scheduling Referendum 35 votes

YES I want to implement his system
    0%
    NO I want to keep it the way it is.
    100%
    FastFullBackRaphaelJohnny_Fontanepadraig_fTristramUnitedIrishmanadrian522SK1979Raoulcurry-muffmatthew8kev_s88Podge_irlHigginsJboccy23GoldFour4CJC86Dohnny JeppGuffyPaully D 35 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I like the idea of playing each divisional rival x 2 if we are keeping the 16 team/4 division setup. I 'm not so keen on the rest of the scheduling idea (i.e playing the team that finished in the same slot in the other divisions) as I think it is needlessly complicated.

I'm also not overly keen on the idea of keeping the divisions the same every year either as with 4 coming down and 4 coming up every year there will be a high turnover of teams anyway. Why give the additional headache of setting the teams manually. I suggest using the draft order to group the teams so you would have the people with the first 4 picks of the draft in the same division and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭padraig_f

I considered doing a similar thing for the auction league, but I found a fatal flaw with it: nfl.com doesn't allow you to guarantee division winners make the playoffs, or actually to have any control over it, bar some very broad options. Qualification for the playoffs is always done on overall record.

This actually makes a division-type scheduling worse than the random one, because it means you play everyone in your division a lot, but qualify for playoffs through overall record.

So people in tough divisions get screwed by the schedule, and people in easy divisions get an easier schedule than normal.

While you can't guarantee division winners making the playoffs, I don't see any point to creating a divsion-oriented schedule, all you're doing is creating an imbalanced schedule.

Please check the playoff qualification options to confirm this (that you can't guarantee division winners or add wildcards), but this is my understanding how it worked when I last looked at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

poldebruin wrote: »
    I like the idea of playing each divisional rival x 2 if we are keeping the 16 team/4 division setup. I 'm not so keen on the rest of the scheduling idea (i.e playing the team that finished in the same slot in the other divisions) as I think it is needlessly complicated.

I'm also not overly keen on the idea of keeping the divisions the same every year either as with 4 coming down and 4 coming up every year there will be a high turnover of teams anyway. Why give the additional headache of setting the teams manually. I suggest using the draft order to group the teams so you would have the people with the first 4 picks of the draft in the same division and so on.

I can't see us adding more options to be honest. It's already complicated as it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

TO. wrote: »
    I can't see us adding more options to be honest. It's already complicated as it is.

Yeah, I suppose it could turn into a huge can of worms. I don't really see the system we run with at the moment as broken to be honest. I think the whole thing came up as a team with a losing record won their division and made the playoffs ahead or teams with winning records. Personally I don't see a problem with this, and the new proposal would not prevent this from happening in the future.

poldebruin wrote: »
    Yeah, I suppose it could turn into a huge can of worms. I don't really see the system we run with at the moment as broken to be honest. I think the whole thing came up as a team with a losing record won their division and made the playoffs ahead or teams with winning records. Personally I don't see a problem with this, and the new proposal would not prevent this from happening in the future.

I agree with you here 100%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Guffy

Don't mind the current system but like udea of division rivals twice. If you have a bad day in one game that's potentially you out of running fir division although there is no point if division winners don't qualify for play offs. Will wait on this vote I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Will there be any vote on the structure of divisions (1x16, 2x8, 4x4), or does this poll mean that we are sticking with the 4x4 regardless and just changing scheduling?

Just checking the settings there:

Schedule (NFL-Managed)
    Playoffs

The NFL-Managed Playoffs include the top 4 teams from your league in a win-or-go home, single-elimination battle for the title. In the Playoffs, scoring and the head-to-head format remain the same as the regular season. Starting in Week 15, the top four teams in your league will be seeded first through fourth based on how each team finished the regular season (see tie breakers above). To start the playoffs, the matchups will be as follows:

#1 Seed vs. #4 Seed
    #2 Seed vs. #3 Seed

i.e. it's just overall win-loss record, with tie-breakers.

Then in custom-league:

Schedule (Custom)

Playoffs

In Custom leagues, the League Manager has a number of different options for Fantasy Playoffs in terms of weeks and eligible teams. For the Championship brakcet, these options are as follows:

Week 15 and 16 (4 teams)
    Week 14, 15 and 16 (6 teams)
    Week 15, 16 and 17 (6 teams)
    Week 14, 15, 16 (8 teams)
    Week 15, 16 and 17 (8 teams)
    Week 13, 14, 15 and 16 (10 teams)
    Week 14, 15, 16 and 17 (10 teams)
    Week 13, 14, 15 and 16 (12 teams)
    Week 14, 15, 16 and 17 (12 teams)
    No Playoffs

i.e. you can configure how many teams make the playoffs, but can't guarantee a division winner to make the playoffs or wildcards.
    Tie Breakers

Custom league managers can select from three standings tiebreakers - Head-to-head record, Division record and Points For.

By default, tie breakers for final regular season standings in the case of an overall W-L-T record tie are as follows:

Head-to-Head Record (NFL-Managed Default)
    Divisional Winning Percentage (if your custom league uses multiple divisions)
    Points Scored For
    Points Scored Against (Most Difficult Schedule)
    Coin Flip

This is the only place I can see that division standings comes into it, as a tie-breaker if regular season record is the same. But the overall regular season record is still the main decider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

padraig_f wrote: »
    you can configure how many teams make the playoffs, but can't guarantee a division winner to make the playoffs or wildcards.

that makes no sense. division winners now are guaranteed to make the playoffs

D3PO wrote: »
    that makes no sense. division winners now are guaranteed to make the playoffs

Are they? Documentation or league settings seems to make no mention of it.

• Advertisement

Yup one of the teams who won their division in the Prem was ranked higher than me going into wildcard round even though I had a better record but he won his division

yes they are lol

if div winners weren't then people wouldn't be even proposing a change. they are proposing a change as somebody was unhappy a div winner with a losing record got in in one of the leagues whilst they missed out with a winning record in their division to somebody else.

that was the whole basis of the argument :P

Yup one of the teams who won their division in the Prem was ranked higher than me going into wildcard round even though I had a better record but he won his division

didn't matter you smashed him anyway ;)

see ya in the semis next week :P

Will there be any vote on the structure of divisions (1x16, 2x8, 4x4), or does this poll mean that we are sticking with the 4x4 regardless and just changing scheduling?

When I went through the Fantasy thread only one suggestion was made for 1 x 16. I could be wrong and might have missed more suggestions. We have 5 polls right now Im sure we can squeeze one more.

yes they are lol

if div winners weren't then people wouldn't be even proposing a change. they are proposing a change as somebody was unhappy a div winner with a losing record got in in one of the leagues whilst they missed out with a winning record in their division to somebody else.

that was the whole basis of the argument :P

Ok I wasn't in on that conversation (also you'd think the help would cover how teams qualify for the playoffs).

Anyway, in that case, I'll vote for the change.

Just to point out there are two votes here. The schedule and the qualification procedure for the playoffs. People might not read comments an no know about a change to playoff qualification. I like idea of changing the schedule, however, it's pointless if it changes qualification method so that a division winner had no playoff spot.

gufc21 wrote: »
    Just to point out there are two votes here. The schedule and the qualification procedure for the playoffs. People might not read comments an no know about a change to playoff qualification. I like idea of changing the schedule, however, it's pointless if it changes qualification method so that a division winner had no playoff spot.

What change to the playoff qualification? The proposal doesn't mention a change. If like the NFL it goes on head to head which is the exact same as we are using right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I gotta say that on one hand it sounds like a great idea but I think I prefer things as they are. You play 13 of the 16 teams in the league and for me that is just fine.

A system like these where you have manual scheduling is open to manipulation which is something I don't like.

I think its unfair because teams who have a much easier schedule due to a weak division are more likely to make the playoffs. The way it is now you can have three teams from one division in the playoffs, that is very unlikely to happen with this system. Basically a strong division is at a disadvantage with this system imo.

What change to the playoff qualification? The proposal doesn't mention a change. If like the NFL it goes on head to head which is the exact same as we are using right now.

It has been mentioned in comments that manually entering the schedule will result in the division winners not being guaranteed a place in the playoffs. Is that not a change to current qualification methods?

It has been mentioned in comments that manually entering the schedule will result in the division winners not being guaranteed a place in the playoffs. Is that not a change to current qualification methods?

In general there are no settings for Division winners going through automatically so whether you leave it by default or change there is no option to set it. Going by that I would say the NFL just have it as a default setting. You win your division you at least got a playoff birth.

• Advertisement

So a yes vote will not change the fact that a 5-8 division winner would get 4th seed, as is currently the case, ahead of two 8-5 non division winners?

So a yes vote will not change the fact that a 5-8 division winner would get 4th seed, as is currently the case, ahead of two 8-5 non division winners?

Exactly. The whole point of JMH settings is to give people the chance to gain at least a head to head against their own division winners. Make it more of a NFL feel which if we are all about the NFL feel a team with a worst NFL record can go to the playoffs ahead of a team that has a better record.

Woooah cnage the qualification system ?? that's not part of this vote !!!

I voted for the scheduling but I AM not voting for a change to playoff qualification. If a change to a manual system means changing that then this should be known and the vote should be restarted as people like me will have unwittingly voted for something they do not want.

That's grand so. Got confused when I read padraig f's post.

Woooah cnage the qualification system ?? that's not part of this vote !!!

I voted for the scheduling but I AM not voting for a change to playoff qualification. If a change to a manual system means changing that then this should be known and the vote should be restarted as people like me will have unwittingly voted for something they do not want.

There is no change to the qualification system. Before it is implemented we can find out if a manual change affects anything else. If it does it will be voided. I will do some research and come back to this.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I gotta say that on one hand it sounds like a great idea but I think I prefer things as they are. You play 13 of the 16 teams in the league and for me that is just fine.

A system like these where you have manual scheduling is open to manipulation which is something I don't like.

I think its unfair because teams who have a much easier schedule due to a weak division are more likely to make the playoffs. The way it is now you can have three teams from one division in the playoffs, that is very unlikely to happen with this system. Basically a strong division is at a disadvantage with this system imo.

never thought of this before voting. I mean this year 3 of us made the playoffs from my Division . In fact 3 of us are in the semis. In the new system there is a very small chance 3 of us will make it to the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,759 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I've gone back and forth on this one but in the end I've decided to vote to keep the current system. The proposed change skews the playoff rankings and wildcard spots towards strong teams in weak divisions, while teams in strong divisions would be penalised.

Something which I haven't seen mentioned is that the proposed system would also likely see a middle-of-the-road team in a strong division end up being relegated. As I see it the division you get becomes too important.. A projected .500 team could end up in a weak divison and end up with a 9-4 record, while the same team in a strong division could end up 4-9 and relegated.

me too guappa unfortunately I cast my vote too early and would actually prefer to change it.

going to ping a mod to see if its possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,896 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Seeing as this looks certain to go through, may I propose that the schedules are done before the draft, if that is possible?

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »
    Seeing as this looks certain to go through, may I propose that the schedules are done before the draft, if that is possible?

why would it matter ?

Advertisement