Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this legal? Buying a phone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

From a quick look they seem ok, if they are giving a spec and not cloning or claiming to a brand X then it is fine.
    Remember you will have to pay duty on arrival into Ireland from outside EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Davy wrote: »
    From a quick look they seem ok, if they are giving a spec and not cloning or claiming to a brand X then it is fine.
    Remember you will have to pay duty on arrival into Ireland from outside EU.

Thanks for reply.

So, I could buy one from England and not pay the duty?

Also, if they claim to be "unlocked" does it mean it would be compatible with my Irish network (vodafone).

Just seems to be a better choice of what am looking for with lower prices (but if it seems too good to be true n' all that.....)

PS: If I ordered something like this from China, anyone any idea how to find out/calculate the tax?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-5-Dual-Sim-2Core-Android-Mobile-WIFI-3G-SmartPhone-Unlocked-Cell-Phone-Touch-/281475216186?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item41893af33a

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply.

So, I could buy one from England and not pay the duty?

Also, if they claim to be "unlocked" does it mean it would be compatible with my Irish network (vodafone).

Just seems to be a better choice of what am looking for with lower prices (but if it seems too good to be true n' all that.....)

PS: If I ordered something like this from China, anyone any idea how to find out/calculate the tax?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-5-Dual-Sim-2Core-Android-Mobile-WIFI-3G-SmartPhone-Unlocked-Cell-Phone-Touch-/281475216186?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones&hash=item41893af33a

Look up www.revenue.ie, they should have a duty calculator there.
    They work it out as cost of product, plus shipping and Duty, then add 23% VAT on to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭dellas1979

Thanks for that. Had a look at the link but still not clear.

The phone is 40 (pounds)
    Shipping is free
    Duty (I had a look at the link and cant see. The VAT would be roughly 1/5 of the cost of the phone). So, 50 punds (converted to euro)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

dellas1979 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Had a look at the link but still not clear.

The phone is 40 (pounds)
    Shipping is free
    Duty (I had a look at the link and cant see. The VAT would be roughly 1/5 of the cost of the phone). So, 50 punds (converted to euro)?

Check the website Duty Calculator looks like you need to register to use it, also note that carrier like anpost they will also add €6 handling fee, others like UPS, Fedex, etc will add more up to €15

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

You do not pay duty on electronics. You pay VAT.

The VAT due is (price of phone + price of shipping) * 1.23. You may not get caught for VAT at the border but I would not rely on that.

A lot of electronics are also seized at the border for being clones of other mainstream products. If you find a phone you like post it here and you will get further advice on whether or not it could be a clone.

Advertisement