Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car crate/front grill?

• 07-12-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭

I had somebody reverse into the back corner of my car today and damage it nicely which is PITA...more importantly the dogs were in the back of the car and it's made me rethink their travelling arrangements. ATM I have am OEM Hyundai floor to ceiling dog guard between the boot and the back seats and they're clipped in with harnesses attached to the baby car seat loop things on the back of the passenger seats ..however I'm not sure I'm comfortable with them being so close to the back door now - Lucy in particular would lean up against it when we're driving.. I'm thinking of dropping the back seats and maybe using crate(s) to secure them further back or a grill behind the front seats and clip them to that!? The caveat here is that they have to get in through the back door with their step - I can't just have them in the back seat/jumping in the side doors because of Bailey's legs and to protect Lucy's... For anyone who doesn't know they're 2 golden retrievers and the occasional red setter :o

Any suggestions?! The car is an ix35 btw

***If your dog sits in the back/passenger seat or drives the car for you that's great but I don't want to know. I'm good for harnesses so don't need to know about them either. I'm know that seems pi$$y to say but every thread on here about this topic ends up with people saying the use a harness out of Dealz or the dog sits in the front seat..or the poster is stupid and overprotective for trying to make the car safer for both them and the dogs etc etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You can get tailgate guards, Barjo make them, not cheap, but I'm sure there are other manufacturers, or if you know a welder or fabricator, they could maybe make one for you. http://www.barjo.co.uk/tailgate-guards

Now I'm not sure if it would solve all of your problems, as she may still lean up against it, but perhaps you could get one fitted a little bit inside the boot? I know its something I considered when I had my crates fitted in the van, I asked for a crumple zone, I didn't want them flush against the back door. I would have preferred more space, but with the crates I wanted, it was the furthest away he could put them and still have good sized crates for the dogs. Do you have a tow bar, as that would also help with any rear impact collisions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭odckdo

I was looking into this before and in the end I stuck with what I had - a dog guard/barrier between the boot and back seats of an estate car.

I thought Barjo was the best option too but very expensive.

The more I looked into the safety of my dogs in the car the more flaws I found. For example if my car was hit badly from behind I might need a gate for access from the rear seats to get the dogs out because I couldn't access them from the boot. Or what happens if the car is hit from the side? A Barjo cage might help here.

Another option might these transport boxes www.dogtransportbox.com Check the shooting section on boards as some of them have these boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

odckdo wrote: »
    The more I looked into the safety of my dogs in the car the more flaws I found. For example if my car was hit badly from behind I might need a gate for access from the rear seats to get the dogs out because I couldn't access them from the boot. Or what happens if the car is hit from the side?

That's exactly it - you've put my mind at ease saying that so thanks! If the back door had of been damaged yesterday I don't know how I would have gotten to them bar an angle grinder to cut the grill... At the same time if there was an accident and the side of the car and say one of the seats dropped - well the grill would contain them and keep them out of harms way. I'm still temped to drop the back seats just to give them more space though - Lucy robs it all :p

Advertisement