Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

internal wall insulation on stone cottage

Options
  • 07-12-2014 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi everyone,
    I have purchased a 100+ year old two bed cottage in Westmeath and I was hoping to insulate the inside walls myself, I understand that the way this is done is to fix batons around the walls then fit the insulation between the batons then plasterboard over it, the walls to which I would be fixing the batons have a render on them and the cottage is built of stone,

Is it advisable to remove existing render to do this?

The ceilings are very high and of the vaulted type there is a decent amount of recent insulation in the attic,
    Is it worthwhile to do the ceilings same as the walls using the baton system?
    Also is it worth doing the walls between rooms?
    any advice is much appreciated.

Steve

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

There's been a lot of similar threads, you should check the search function http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=92507736
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77764887

To try and answer your direct questions:
    > Can you describe the render?

> Check the insulation in the ceiling before considering further insulation inside the plasterboard.

> the walls between the rooms typically would not be insulated. But I'd be considering the due-point location in the wall - especially if you go with your suggested drylining method - considering dampness, moisture etc

Check floor/wall junction for dampness & air-tightness. You can buy a damp meter for less than €50. I'd recommend breathable drylining materials like hemplime, wood-fibre, calcium silicate, aerogel.. these are more expense than standard insulation& boards but are less likely to allow surface mould &/or mould behind the dry-lining. Many of these materials can be DIY installed bar maybe the finishing plastering.

outside: ensure ground level is lower and sloping away from the house, remove organic matter from outside walls, check: render/paint, flashings, eaves, windows, chimneys, etc

Where I've seen your spec installed correctly, it included a waterproof 'radon grade' membrane between the existing wall and the stud work, there was also an 'intelligent' vapour barrier on the warm side of the insulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 tzsteve

Thanks for the info bryan,
    We went down to the cottage for the first time after buying it yesterday and lit the stove, even after 2 hours it was warmer outside than inside, the cottage has been vacant since march, the attic was insulated in the last 3 years about 300mm,
    there is a damp/mould patch at the front corner, I was putting that down to a raised flower bed in the front that comes up about 24 inches up the exterior wall,
    I could see condensation on some the walls after a couple of hours yesterday,
    the inside render looks to be original so I assumed its lime?
    I will get a damp meter as u suggested,
    Many thx
    steve

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

It would be worth considering whether you need any additional electrical sockets etc before you start drylining or adding insulation

Advertisement