Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JamieH1224

For anyone still on the fence about a New 3DS the normal version is currently €154.75 on Amazon France and the XL model is €181.42. Wont find it cheaper than that anywhere else. Majora's Mask is €37.99 too. Cant post the URLs unfortunately because Im still seen as a new user.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Lads, I can't decide, which n3ds do I get? black or white?

The white looks so clean and tidy and really makes the snes buttons pop out. But since its white is might get dirty around the buttons fast. And I don't know if I could play it on the bus or train, as its very 'look at me' white when opened.

Where as the black looks good but, I don't know, the black dslite always looked kinda cheap or 'poor' to me so the black n3ds might be the same, BUT, games do look better with the black border around the screen. and less noticeable on transport. Snes buttons do look good but dont 'pop' as much as on the white.

Argh, serious first world problems but I'm spending a lot of money so want to be sure. Will be getting a couple face plates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

You've made some very good points regarding the pros and cons. It's down to personal preference really and compromising on those factors when deciding either way. Personally, I love the white version, got the ambassador edition a couple of weeks ago and the coloured buttons do look amazing, and I just prefer white-coloured tech casings in general because they just look snazzy and fancy to me :pac: I've had a white Vita and XL for ages, and white phones, keeping them clean never seems to be an issue, and that's without even using a case (except for the vita, with a soft slipcase to protect that gorgeous screen).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I wasn't planning on buying one yet, at least not until Xenoblade came out.

I'm trying to figure out if it will actually be more financially viable to take advantage of the good trade-in deals and get one now.

I wonder what a standard XL will be worth in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Lads, I can't decide, which n3ds do I get? black or white?

I have a white XL. It does get noticeably "dirtier" than the darker colours, but only in a "You can see small bits of blue fabric" kind of a way, NOT "It's discoloured". I just use an old makeup brush to dust in once in a while

I had a black ds lite and a black 3DS, and I'd never say that I got distracted by either the white or the black around it.

You could also just get darker faceplates, like these Boo glow in the dark ones:
    tumblr_ng5elwrGL31s8wlnzo1_1280.jpg

You do seem to have sold yourself more on the black though so go for your gut!

• Advertisement

gubbie wrote: »
    I have a white XL. It does get noticeably "dirtier" than the darker colours, but only in a "You can see small bits of blue fabric" kind of a way, NOT "It's discoloured". I just use an old makeup brush to dust in once in a while

I had a black ds lite and a black 3DS, and I'd never say that I got distracted by either the white or the black around it.

You could also just get darker faceplates, like these Boo glow in the dark ones:

Oh I do like that boo face plate. Wonder what it looks like on the black one.

I think I'll change my order to black. I guess the white one won't get dirty but I just can't get that outta me mind, ocd'ish right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Went with the white N3DS myself, all my DS's have been white so far, although the only other option I had was red, which to me looks like a kids toy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I need the Kirby faceplates, they look the business

no-58-new-3ds-xl-faceplate-kirby.png?itok=vaHm7trL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Oh I do like that boo face plate. Wonder what it looks like on the black one.

I think I'll change my order to black. I guess the white one won't get dirty but I just can't get that outta me mind, ocd'ish right there.

On the Japanese Nintendo page, they have created a virtual dressing room to see what the plates look like on each 3ds. LINK. It's all very Japanese, right down to the music...

On the Japanese Nintendo page, they have created a virtual dressing room to see what the plates look like on each 3ds. LINK. It's all very Japanese, right down to the music...

Oh that's so cool, so Japanese :) They've got 58 cover plates already?!?:eek: some of them look fantastic, can't wait to dress up my n3ds and give it a new look every day of the week :pac: and can mix and match - can't be seen with the same outfit twice now can we! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Anyone know if you have to give a charger with a 3ds when trading it in in cex?

Xenji wrote: »
    Went with the white N3DS myself, all my DS's have been white so far, although the only other option I had was red, which to me looks like a kids toy.

It kinda is a kids Toy;-)

iamtony wrote: »
    Anyone know if you have to give a charger with a 3ds when trading it in in cex?

I think you do, but maybe they give you a reduced price if you don't. I had a spare one anyway and gave them that, they need it to do the system check before they buy it from you. The person at the counter said something to me about them needing it, or else you have to buy one from them or something, to do the deal.

I think you do, but maybe they give you a reduced price if you don't. I had a spare one anyway and gave them that, they need it to do the system check before they buy it from you. The person at the counter said something to me about them needing it, or else you have to buy one from them or something, to do the deal.
    Thanks that means I need to buy one before I trade in and I'd only be really getting €50 for it think I'll try adverts first.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I need the Kirby faceplates, they look the business

no-58-new-3ds-xl-faceplate-kirby.png?itok=vaHm7trL

Why, oh why didn't the realize the new XL with the faceplate option! I'd love a Boo and Kirby combo.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭thehappyworm

Faceplates can be pre-ordered at Amazon UK for fifteen quid a pop. Oof...wasn't expecting them to be quite so expensive...

That's *quick google* twenty euro at the current exchange rate. Eep!

(If you had your eye on the "wooden" Mario plate, though, you might want to go ahead and pre-order it now. In Japan, it seems to be a special plate — along with the "felt" version — that's sold at twice the price of every other design. Wouldn't be surprised if the same will apply here, when they're eventually released. But right now, wooden Mario can be pre-ordered from Amazon at the same £14.95 price point as every other plate. I imagine that will be corrected before long.)

Cool, got one, but £21!, Amazon uk taking the piss! None of that wood one on Spanish or French Amazon, sold out but looks deadly. Spanish Amazon have a good few coverplates at €14.90 each, big difference from UK!

Ordered MH white, and the blotchy Mario one too. Got a base charger too.

Thanks for the heads up!

Cool, got one, but £21!, Amazon uk taking the piss! None of that wood one on Spanish or French Amazon, sold out but looks deadly. Spanish Amazon have a good few coverplates at €14.90 each, big difference from UK!

Ordered MH white, and the blotchy Mario one too. Got a base charger too.

Thanks for the heads up!

The "Mario (Wood)" (...can't help but smile at that label :pac:) plates are still £14.95 for me, pre-ordered a pair earlier. Can't wait to get a few more colourful ones, Nintendo are going to make a mint from all the new new3ds owners from these alone. :)

The "Mario (Wood)" (...can't help but smile at that label :pac:) plates are still £14.95 for me, pre-ordered a pair earlier. Can't wait to get a few more colourful ones, Nintendo are going to make a mint from all the new new3ds owners from these alone. :)

Oh, well, I mean that on Spanish Amazon they are €14.90 but on UK Amazon they are £14.90. That doesn't compute... But for Mario wood (teehee) including post it's £21, it didn't give me the option of free 7day delivery there.

Man I am going to be sooooo broke Friday the 13th, better have at least a few quid for a few pints after I get the n3ds!

Oh, and decided I'm getting the black one. Mario wood decided it for me.

Edit: also, I really want that Majora's Mask face plate, had a look on Amazon.jp, sell in for around €37!

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Nippon Yasan may be an option for getting some face plates a bit cheaper (or some Japan only ones) if you're not in a mad rush........€2.86 shipping for 1, €5.11 for 2

€12.47 for Pikachu: https://www.nippon-yasan.com/nintendo-3ds-console-import-japan/10560-new-nintendo-3ds-cover-plates-no057.html

€12.47 for Kirby: https://www.nippon-yasan.com/nintendo-3ds-console-import-japan/10561-new-nintendo-3ds-cover-plates-no058.html

€13.90 for Yoshi: https://www.nippon-yasan.com/nintendo-3ds-console-import-japan/8966-new-nintendo-3ds-cover-plates-no004.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

bkrangle wrote: »
    Nippon Yasan may be an option for getting some face plates a bit cheaper (or some Japan only ones) if you're not in a mad rush........€2.86 shipping for 1, €5.11 for 2

€12.47 for Pikachu: https://www.nippon-yasan.com/nintendo-3ds-console-import-japan/10560-new-nintendo-3ds-cover-plates-no057.html

€12.47 for Kirby: https://www.nippon-yasan.com/nintendo-3ds-console-import-japan/10561-new-nintendo-3ds-cover-plates-no058.html

€13.90 for Yoshi: https://www.nippon-yasan.com/nintendo-3ds-console-import-japan/8966-new-nintendo-3ds-cover-plates-no004.html

Bear in mind that face plates aren't region-locked.
    And are less than 20 euro, so you aren't going to be charged any import charges.

Personally, wouldn't pay any more than 9.99 for a faceplate, but I want the Yoshi one badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I don't even have a new 3DS and I was putting the Kirby one into my basket. This site is f'ing dangerous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

tumblr_nj5ctz2p6r1u9p36io1_1280.jpg

Boo.

cloud493 wrote: »
    tumblr_nj5ctz2p6r1u9p36io1_1280.jpg

Boo.

That doesn't make sense to me, aren't the cards 4gb in the xls and new 3dses, so they have more storage than the original 3ds (2gb)? And if someone happens to have a larger card, they could just buy a micro sd card of the appropriate size to compensate for the large data transfer? Lamestop strikes again I suppose... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I think he misunderstood the question. The GS rep thinks the transfer will be done in store. Here is what I did when upgrading from 3DS to XL a few years ago:

You pay (IN FULL) for the new console (with the agreement that you will be returning with your cleaned-down old console after the transfer). You take both consoles away and do the transfer (in work, at home, or anywhere you can get good wifi). When you come back, they check the old console to make sure they are happy with it, and give you the balance for the trade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm just totting up in my largely vacant noggin the costs of February in entirely Nintendo related matters.
    Its going to be expensive.
    I wonder if the bank manager will extend the overdraft.
    Maybe hold off on the mortgage until March....
    New 3DS
    Zelda MM
    Super Smash Bros
    A face plate or two.
    Possibly the new Kirby game for the WiiU as well.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm just totting up in my largely vacant noggin the costs of February in entirely Nintendo related matters.
    Its going to be expensive.
    I wonder if the bank manager will extend the overdraft.
    Maybe hold off on the mortgage until March....
    New 3DS
    Zelda MM
    Super Smash Bros
    A face plate or two.
    Possibly the new Kirby game for the WiiU as well.

We're not getting that kirby in February, thats the lucky americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

New Bravely Second Trailer.

cloud493 wrote: »
    We're not getting that kirby in February, thats the lucky americans.

Australia seem to be getting their PAL copies on the same week as the yanks.

• Advertisement

Damn australians *shakes fist*

Advertisement