Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Myrddin wrote: »
    The Snes one is gorgeous indeed, I was a bit pee'd off to learn the new XL won't have a Snes variant

Or the faceplates. Easy customisation of the console would make limited editions simpler, with just limited edition faceplates!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Star Lord wrote: »
    Or the faceplates. Easy customisation of the console would make limited editions simpler, with just limited edition faceplates!

I think the left the plates off the New XL so they can still release limited edition xl's.

But we will get limited edition face plates too.

Here is a list of some 3ds games coming this year :)

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2015/01/feature_the_biggest_3ds_games_of_2015

• Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The Snes one is gorgeous indeed, I was a bit pee'd off to learn the new XL won't have a Snes variant

That's become my Sophie's choice!

I don't want to do a full mentaller and go all Atavan on it with multiples so have to make a choice.

I think I'll have to go with the XL.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I couldn't & never will go back to the regular 3DS after using the XL :o Tiny screen & 'the claw' effect just make it a pain to use (literally)
    o1s1n wrote: »
    That's become my Sophie's choice!

I don't want to do a full mentaller and go all Atavan on it with multiples so have to make a choice.

I think I'll have to go with the XL.

XL is a no brainer imo. The lovely Snes colour scheme will get old very fast when you're stuck with a tiny screen and hand cramps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Is there any sign of a release date yet, my woman's intuition tells me a June release date for both Majoras Mask and the consoles seems likely but then again I'm not a woman I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I hope to get the XL since that way I can justify the upgrade. I expect(or rather hope for) a Majora XL bundle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Is there any sign of a release date yet, my woman's intuition tells me a June release date for both Majoras Mask and the consoles seems likely but then again I'm not a woman I think.

I'm guessing February to March purely because in 2011 that was when the original 3DS launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

I was all set to upgrade to the new system when available and I presumed the major difference would have been a better screen resolution but it's staying the same unfortunitely. Now I'm not so sure if I'll bother straight awAy.

I was all set to upgrade to the new system when available and I presumed the major difference would have been a better screen resolution but it's staying the same unfortunitely. Now I'm not so sure if I'll bother straight awAy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,831 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Andrew76 wrote: »
    XL is a no brainer imo. The lovely Snes colour scheme will get old very fast when you're stuck with a tiny screen and hand cramps.

Yep, pretty much spot on. I've been using a launch console since, well, launch and as much as I love it, ergonomic it is not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

Andrew76 wrote: »

Your XL will get boring when you can't change it's faceplates.
    Also, get a maglite if you want a blown up image on your screen. Pixelated mess.

As someone that's had both a 3DS and a 3DS XL, I'd never go back to the standard 3DS size. Not only is the 3DS XL more comfortable to use, but I think despite having the same resolution, it actually looks BETTER than on the standard 3DS. The 3D effect seems to work better too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Your XL will get boring when you can't change it's faceplates.
    Also, get a maglite if you want a blown up image on your screen. Pixelated mess.

Games look fine on the XL screen to me but we all have our own preferences. I spend more time looking at the screen than the colour of the buttons or a faceplate. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Tomo.Murphy

I have no problem with the XL display. At first I thought it was a bit pixelated, but then I realised I hadn't fully turned off the 3D. I can't use the 3D on it though. Gives me a headache.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

As a woman with small, childlike hands, I find the 3DS more comfortable but I much prefer the screens on the XL. Depends on your hands. I'd say the 3DS is for kids, the XL for adults

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

didn't get the mail :(
    Also don't have the money, but the main reason I'm not going to purchase is that they snubbed me and I'm in a huff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

Didn't get the mail even though I was both a 3DS ambassador (bought on launch) and a Wii Connection ambassador (helped 20 people connect a Wii online, got 170 virtual console games in my library). :mad:

Haha, check your spam or trash or promo email folders.

Either way I'm not getting one until I have a reason to upgrade aka Xenoblade Chronicles.

Maybe a limited edition Zelda Majora's Mask one or something.

Anyone hear rumours of a new Direct coming tomorrow? Couple people around the webs think so. If true we might get an official release date for it. Fingers crossed, been a while since the last real direct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I got the email, not buying it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,448 ✭✭✭Nollog

I was also snubbed, despite being 3ds and wii u ambassadors, with many games on club nintendo.
    I think of earning DPP points around launch as being wii u ambassador. ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The U.S. are getting this Special Edition of Majora's Mask.
    zelda-majoras-mask-3d-limited-edition-2.jpg

Aww man, that's a thing of beauty!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I got the mail alright
    I'm going to sell a 3DS I'm not using and try and pick this up
    Looks the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I didn't get the mail :( but I already have 2 of the new 3DS systems so wouldn't have bought it anyway.

Regarding the size of the regular new 3ds it's actually much more comfortable than the original 3DS for anyone worried about size. Having been using an XL the past couple of years it's not a big difference going back to a smaller size. It sits somewhere in between the original and XL and I haven't noticed any cramping from using it like the original 3DS. Here's a couple of size comparisons

DC5430D9-6281-40DA-9E9A-FDDF9E86069E_zpstky8qwqi.jpg

EB897D16-C528-4C3D-BD42-4093D6DFC22B_zpswq3vqbsp.jpg

I'm looking for 3ds friends only game I play online on it is smash bros at the moment you can find me using friend code:1306-6280-7701

Feel free to add me ive no 3ds friends at all I thought I'd have my wii u friends on the 3ds the same way I share friend over the playstation devices I own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know where the hate for the smaller 3ds format comes from.
    The original model is no where near as backward, in comparison to the XL, than the DS phat was in comparison to the Lite that replaced it.
    I do like the XL but there's nothing wrong with a well designed smaller format.
    And I hope to pick one up, though the new model XL will be bought in due course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I have nothing against the original model, but it was way too expensive when it came out (I have a recipt for the console and a copy of pilotwings from march 2011 for €300 :eek:) while the XL was cheaper, had better battery, better screens, better 3D, feels comfier to hold, etc.

^ This. I don't dislike the standard 3DS, I just vastly prefer the XL!

• Advertisement

Just preordered Majora's Mask special edition for the Nintendo store. I like the US statute, but I think I like the badge we are getting much more.

Now we play the 'give us release dates, Nintendo!' game.

Advertisement