Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Seen in Smyths today Hyrule Warriors 3D has a coming soon 2016 sticker on it, I was really hoping for this to be out pre Saturnalia rather than post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Apples and oranges there.
    Give me games on the 3DS any day of the week tbh.

Both handheld devices. Hardly apples and oranges. I agree that the content is better on 3DS. But the screen is absolutely dire.
    Seen in Smyths today Hyrule Warriors 3D has a coming soon 2016 sticker on it, I was really hoping for this to be out pre Saturnalia rather than post.

... what? HW is coming out on 3ds? You mean four adventurers right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Wright wrote: »
    Both handheld devices. Hardly apples and oranges. I agree that the content is better on 3DS. But the screen is absolutely dire.

... what? HW is coming out on 3ds? You mean four adventurers right?

Yes have to agree their. I prefer the 3ds but the quality of the screen is terrible in all honesty. Have you ever tried using the web browser on it? It really shows it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Don't think the screen is terrible or dire at all, it's less quality but extremely exaggerated words there.

Hyrule Warriors is indeed coming out on 3DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Sometimes I'm glad of my ignorance towards pixel densities and resolutions.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    Don't think the screen is terrible or dire at all, it's less quality but extremely exaggerated words there.

I may be finished my 8th beer but I stand by my words it is pretty bad in terms of ppi.

Nah its really really bad. On XL's anyway.

Had no idea HW was coming to 3DS. I found HW frustrating; failing missions cause I have to shoot across the map and stuff. Nonsense mechanic. I get thats the genre but its not really for me. Curious to check out the Wind Waker stuff tho.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Sometimes I'm glad of my ignorance towards pixel densities and resolutions.

Yeah it doesn't bother me to be fair but still if you pick up the vita after playing the 3ds it is night and day. If someone told me I could play Xenonblade 3d on a vita I'd be very happy, happy enough to actually buy it and play it for the first time ever:-)

Nah its really really bad. On XL's anyway.

Had no idea HW was coming to 3DS. I found HW frustrating; failing missions cause I have to shoot across the map and stuff. Nonsense mechanic. I get thats the genre but its not really for me. Curious to check out the Wind Waker stuff tho.

I'm happy enough with the screen on my XL, can't say the quality ever bothered me nor did I find it a negative at all. Some games look beautiful on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I have the vita and 3dsxl too, I like both, there is a certin charm to the blockyness I think. The graphics on the vita are great, but unfortunately it looks like the whole AAA hd games on a handle held model doesnt work too well for Sony. Still its a good way to play the final fantasy games.

For something completely unrelated, where can I can get a copy of Starfox 64 3d on the cheap ? Ebay is all I can find, I'm guessing its a pretty rare game !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's all about context and expectations.
    If you come to the 3DS looking for qHD visuals you are out of luck.
    But the same is to be said about the entire Nintendo handheld range, since the original GB, it never had state of the art displays but they consistently had the best library of games and made the very most of the display they had.
    The DS Lite still looks spectacular, especially with New Super Mario Bros running on it, but it is still a relatively low resolution screen.
    I have heard folk being concerned about the quality of the XL display before buying one but this really is the first time I've heard anyone who owns one finding fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I've had the standard 3DS, the 3DS XL and now the New 3DS, and I've never really been disappointed in the screens. Going from the XL back to the original 3DS, the screen actually just seemed too small. The New 3DS (non-XL version) has the best screen of them so far, nice balance between sizes. I've never had an issue with the resolution though. But I've never been that bothered by jaggies or low PPI on handhelds. I'm no stranger to nice HD experiences either, and love what my PC pushes out, but never found fault with the 3DS in that way.

Lots of Nintendo apologism in here lol. Despite recent failures they are still like 6 billion in the black. Having always released subpar handheld hardware isn't an excuse nor is it really true. Since the Wii Nintendo have been cheaping out. We shouldn't be thanking them for it. Their games deserve so much better. They shouldn't have launched the 3ds sub 720p. I'm not some resolution junkie or anything. I just want to see the image without any shortcomings of the screen coming through; its very distracting. These steps were taken to cut their costs, not because a better screen isn't required. I can't wait to play my library on Citra in a year or two when perfomance is acceptable.

I hope that now Iwata's gone the new CEO will bump up NEX's specs.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

Lots of Nintendo apologism in here lol. Despite recent failures they are still like 6 billion in the black. Having always released subpar handheld hardware isn't an excuse nor is it really true. Since the Wii Nintendo have been cheaping out. We shouldn't be thanking them for it. Their games deserve so much better. They shouldn't have launched the 3ds sub 720p. I'm not some resolution junkie or anything. I just want to see the image without any shortcomings of the screen coming through; its very distracting. These steps were taken to cut their costs, not because a better screen isn't required. I can't wait to play my library on Citra in a year or two when perfomance is acceptable.

There's no way the 3DS would've been 1280x720 resolution. The Vita (which came out over half a year later) was only 960x544 and it only has to render one screen. I like the screen on the Vita and I would, of course, like higher resolution on the 3ds but a balance has to be found. Nintendo with the 3DS also had the increase rendering needed for 3D.

There are more concerns than just the screen as well, what about the extra power (and battery life) needed to render the increased resolution? The 3DS was expensive enough when it came out. Also the Vita couldn't even render all its games its native resolution, Uncharted renders at 720x408 for example.

When someone doesn't say Nintendo are crap = Nintendo apologist......

I find nothing too wrong or distracting about the 3DS, screens are fine to me. People will look for different things I guess, but I definitely can't see that unless you were looking for it, you could say the screen had any major shortcomings. Oh and we'd all like to see some beefed up specs, your hardly going rogue with that opinion.

abbir wrote: »
    There's no way the 3DS would've been 1280x720 resolution. The Vita (which came out over half a year later) was only 960x544 and it only has to render one screen. I like the screen on the Vita and I would, of course, like higher resolution on the 3ds but a balance has to be found. Nintendo with the 3DS also had the increase rendering needed for 3D.

There are more concerns than just the screen as well, what about the extra power (and battery life) needed to render the increased resolution? The 3DS was expensive enough when it came out. Also the Vita couldn't even render all its games its native resolution, Uncharted renders at 720x408 for example.

I actually thought the vita was 720p. That's how awesome games look on it. Nintendo have no excuse now; even the vita is very low-res; at least on the vertical.
    When someone doesn't say Nintendo are crap = Nintendo apologist......

Nope. But what is going on in here is apologism I'm afraid. Unless y'all need to form an orderly queue outside specsavers :p

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

There's no apologism going on here, the 3DS is what it is. If you want higher res screens, that would probably cause quite a jump in the cost of the bespoke 3D screens they're using, it'd require higher processing power, which would also raise the cost, and increase battery drain etc... It's a balancing act really, and while the Vita is a lovely piece of kit, it just doesn't do the job as well as the 3DS does. Arguably though, this is down to the software more than the platform.

Star Lord wrote: »
    There's no apologism going on here, the 3DS is what it is.

Indeed. A handheld with a subpar primary screen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nope. But what is going on in here is apologism I'm afraid. Unless y'all need to form an orderly queue outside specsavers :p

Nope
    Truthfully most people here own loads of consoles and just happen to have a certain appreciation for Nintendo hardware and software.
    But, as many comments will attest, we aren't afraid to voice disappointment when they make a poor title.
    As for their failures you appear to be mentioning, that would be the Virtual Boy and the WiiU?
    The former is legit as it wasn't a comfortable device to use, I know mine isn't though the games on the machine are a lot of fun.
    The latter has the best content of any current gen right now, end of. Plenty of reasons why the console hasn't sold anything like Nintendo predicted but it's got a small but cracking software library.

Rose tinted glasses, spec savers and other comments are neither accurate or fair and are the sort of comments that probably are welcome elsewhere, but I think most people here are just insulted and would prefer you didn't post them again.

Indeed. A handheld with a subpar primary screen.

We know, it's your opinion, I think we've established that most people here disagree or agree but feel its irrelevant.
    Is there any purpose to keep repeating it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

The gameboy had no colour unlike the Lynx and Gamegear and the NEC handheld.
    The gameboy colour wasn't as good as the neo two pocket colour.
    And I reckon that the various Nintendo handhelds that were released alongside the various PSPs, were not as well specced as the PSP.
    I would say that Nintendo always released handheld hardware that didn't directly compete with its competitors drive for better colour and then better resolutions.
    They always tried to bring something a little extra.
    The gameboy had outstanding battery power compared to the pretenders to the throne.
    The Gameboy light solved the screen problems plaguing handhelds.
    The Pocket,much more portable that other handhelds like the Nomad (but the ladies love that).

Nintendo try innovations and don't just try and give better graphics. Sure sometimes it doesn't work out- the Micro - but sometimes the hit the jackpot - the DS and original Gameboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Play Asia have this up for sale. Wonder what the writer part entails.

http://www.play-asia.com/nfc-reader-writer-for-3ds/13/708px1

We know, it's your opinion, I think we've established that most people here disagree or agree but feel its irrelevant.
    Is there any purpose to keep repeating it?

Absolutely. Apologizing for the company you happen to likely is a quick way to guarantee their future products are also subpar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

Wright is repeating the same phrase over and over and quoting people, that's like the weakest trolling on the internet, why are you replying to her?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Wright is repeating the same phrase over and over and quoting people, that's like the weakest trolling on the internet, why are you replying to her?

Her?

Weakest trolling? It's called expressing an opinion. I'd be more concerned if my opinion was changing with every post.

Your post makes no sense. Spare us.

None of the attached pictures are 'ok'. Nintendo cheaped out. Again. End of.

Absolutely. Apologizing for the company you happen to likely is a quick way to guarantee their future products are also subpar.

I wasn't aware of anyone apologising for anything.
    I think it was you making a point, that the relatively low resolution screen on the 3DS and 3DS:XL is some sort of deal breaker for you in terms of a handheld.
    And a portion of the rest of the posters here disagreed, and a portion that agreed with the idea that the 3DS family would do better with a higher resolution screen still thought it was pretty much irrelevant due to the outstanding library of games for the format.

I don't think the development for future Nintendo products rests, in any way, on the expectations of the fan base.
    In fact they have confounded and delighted the fan base, in equal measure, over the last two decades.
    And I would expect the NX to be no different, nor the 3SS replacement, whatever that happens to be.

Nintendo haven't made sub par games ever, as far as I know.
    Quite the opposite.
    Sony on the other hand, with the beautiful screen and promise of the Vita, have filled it with console titles with little modification and a dwindling audience who just don't seem to care.
    Even the PSP with franchises like LocoRoco and the series best releases of both Wipeout Pure and Pulse as well as two Ridge Racer titles, it far outstrips the frankly disappointing Vita console, technically excellent but ultimately a relatively empty vessel.

None of the attached pictures are 'ok'. Nintendo cheaped out. Again. End of.

You're right.
    None of those pictures are "OK"
    They are representative of one of the best games ever made and one of the best "remasters" so far created.
    Ocarina of Time on the 3DS is a triumph but the recreation of Majora's Mask for the 3DS is an incredible piece of work.

You're right.
    None of those pictures are "OK"
    They are representative of one of the best games ever made and one of the best "remasters" so far created.
    Ocarina of Time on the 3DS is a triumph but the recreation of Majora's Mask for the 3DS is an incredible piece of work.

Who... is even... talking... about the quality of the game itself dude.... seriously. What is up with the inability for people to follow logic on this site. Boards is some serious children of the corn level ♡♡♡♡. It is blood boiling, I gotta be really honest.

LOOK AT THE DAMN RESOLUTION DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The screen spec on the 3DS seems to get a good bit of debate going based on the last number of posts. But is this the be all and end all of what defines the 3DS as being a success? I think that the market for the 3DS may be forgotten a little by some people who complain about the low res graphics, how many of the 5 to 12 year olds who I would see as being the core market care about this?

I tell you what Nintendo do do right, despite being in a financial hole, and that is a solid reliable handheld that will truck on for years with a little bit of minding. Although I sound like an 'aul lad now, I remember getting one of the first few GameBoys in Ireland, a store off Henry St had gotten 5 in at UK launch, which I still remember getting with my mother. I gave it to my niece about 12 years later, still going strong. My own daughter had a DS Lite for 4 years before she got a first gen 3DS XL for her 8th birthday in May (€180 with SMB2, yes please!). The DS Lite is still working perfectly.

While the odd bit of tablet play gets a look in now and again, and there is the odd kid with a PS Vita, it is the 3DS that is the mainstay of kids when it comes to handheld gaming. Most of them don't even turn on the 3D, let alone know about screen resolution. As a % of the market, a high res screen would only benefit a minority imho.

• Advertisement

Who... is even... talking... about the quality of the game itself dude.... seriously. What is up with the inability for people to follow logic on this site. Boards is some serious children of the corn level ♡♡♡♡. It is blood boiling, I gotta be really honest.

LOOK AT THE DAMN RESOLUTION DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not about the resolution.
    It is about the games.
    It's always about them.
    It doesn't matter if the console is HD, qHD, QHD, VGA, SVGA, 480p, 1080p or the rest.
    It's the games all day.
    Never about the hardware, always the software or at the very least a great integration of both.
    It's the reason why Tearaway is so good, yet so rare on the format.
    But it's the reason why the 3DS has masses of clever content, because at its root that's what Nintendo has always done.

Advertisement