Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Wright wrote: »
    Absolutely. Apologizing for the company you happen to likely is a quick way to guarantee their future products are also subpar.

Having opinions is great, implying people are blind for not having the same opinions as you is not. This is when debate becomes tedious and brings out phrases such as 'apologists'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

I play nintendo for the games, not because of the '720p realistic super tuirbo graphics', the games are good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Wright

delly wrote: »
    The screen spec on the 3DS seems to get a good bit of debate going based on the last number of posts. But is this the be all and end all of what defines the 3DS as being a success? I think that the market for the 3DS may be forgotten a little by some people who complain about the low res graphics, how many of the 5 to 12 year olds who I would see as being the core market care about this?

The 3DS is absolutely a huge success.

Your last sentence is 100% apologist. 5-12 lol wat?
    I play nintendo for the games, not because of the '720p realistic super tuirbo graphics', the games are good.

Yes they are. I'd like them to also be displayed at a good resolution.
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    It's not about the resolution.
    It is about the games.
    It's always about them.
    It doesn't matter if the console is HD, qHD, QHD, VGA, SVGA, 480p, 1080p or the rest.
    It's the games all day.
    Never about the hardware, always the software or at the very least a great integration of both.
    It's the reason why Tearaway is so good, yet so rare on the format.
    But it's the reason why the 3DS has masses of clever content, because at its root that's what Nintendo has always done.

Of course its about the games.

But Nintendo cheaped out on the hardware yet again, which they've been doing since the Wii. They can do this because of people like you Cider. They should be challenged when they pull this nonsense. When they flatten a Gamecube and add waggle and call it a new console. When they release a next gen console that's not so next gen, losing all third party interest. When they cheap out on screens for the handheld (Wii U has a great screen). They should be challenged on all of this. But they never are. Cause they got people like you that 'have their back'.

You're bad for the company you profess to love.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah.
    You're taking the p1ss
    I can see it now.
    Very good.

Each to their own I suppose.

Good night.

Ah.
    You're taking the p1ss
    I can see it now.
    Very good.

Each to their own I suppose.

Good night.

"You're right but I just can't say it. Goodnight."

Seriously, Nintendo have been on the books as being greedy little ♡♡♡♡♡ for a long long time. Everything I said above is true. And I even forgot to mention how they rip us off with their games. Prices never fall on their titles. Don't even try to deny it. Ocarina of Time cost the same as A Link Between Worlds which costs the same as Majora's mask.

Greedy little pigs. And of course that is no different when it comes to the cost of making a unit.
    delly wrote: »
    While the odd bit of tablet play gets a look in now and again, and there is the odd kid with a PS Vita, it is the 3DS that is the mainstay of kids when it comes to handheld gaming. Most of them don't even turn on the 3D, let alone know about screen resolution. As a % of the market, a high res screen would only benefit a minority imho.

*the mainstay of kids I personally know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

Nintendo make consoles. if you don't want limitations build a PC.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Nintendo make consoles. if you don't want limitations build a PC.

What a silly argument. With that argument the inference exists that you bought the 3DS BECAUSE it had limitations. Silly. Besides the fact that the PC has lots of limitations. Two of them very relevant to this topic. Not very portable are they? Don't play Nintendo games do they?

Vita can ship with a decent screen. nVidia did it with their Shield portable despite having no previous pedigree or clout in the handheld market. Hell the Wii U gamepad even has a very decent screen. Nintendo CHOSE not to with the 3DS, to increase their margins; and we pay for it with a subpar viewing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

You know what they say,

When you're Wright.....you're right.

Reading your blatant disregard for other people's opinions over and over again across boards is getting a bit tedious to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

What a silly argument. With that argument the inference exists that you bought the 3DS BECAUSE it had limitations. Silly. Besides the fact that the PC has lots of limitations. Two of them very relevant to this topic. Not very portable are they? Don't play Nintendo games do they?

Vita can ship with a decent screen. nVidia did it with their Shield portable despite having no previous pedigree or clout in the handheld market. Hell the Wii U gamepad even has a very decent screen. Nintendo CHOSE not to with the 3DS, to increase their margins; and we pay for it with a subpar viewing experience.

OK.
    Let's consider screens shall we, seeing as that's where you were originally fixated, before you started your anti Nintendo rant.
    Nintendo, you say, released a console with sub par resolution screens.
    Par meaning average so the screens are below average and so representative of why Nintendo push bad hardware on us.
    The Vita, on the other hand, had an exemplary display.
    Ok, the Vita actually has a qHD display, a single display outputting 960x544.
    The 3DS, on the other hand, has a pair of displays, the lower of which is 320x240, while the upper is 800x240, split between two parallax divided images of 400x240 each.
    The is actually processing and displaying three images worth of content, one per eye and a lower screen.
    Couple this with the power requirements from the batteries to process and display this information it may become clear why, in 2011 when the console was produced, there were necessary limits on the displays used in the 3DS line.
    Battery life on a portable console is a prime concern and, by making certain decisions concerning the displays used in the 3DS, Nintendo made a console that can run for 3 to 5 hours.
    The Vita only has a single display to run, so it can afford to be more generous, but it still has a poor battery life as a result, with a similar 3 to 5 hours.
    You want a Vita quality display in the 3DS? That period between charges could drop to an unacceptable hour or two at most.

One more thing is in the period in which the 3DS was made, the display in one of most popular portable devices of the time was the iPhone 3GS with a resolution of 320x480!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This line of discussion is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    This line of discussion is ridiculous.

Yes, and I keep feeding into it... damn it!
    And I need my sleep too...
    x1s8ivwmm4tkr7otvwp0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

In terms of 3D, it's night and day. The New 3DS does 3D properly and is arguably the console the 3DS should have been all along. I never used the 3D on my original 3DS because it was, well, rubbish. Now it's never turned off apart from Monster Hunter 4 where it just makes everything look too busy.

Bought the new one today. The 3D is so much better on it. Delighted with it!

The only thing I don't like about the N3DS is the power button, my fingers just find it too small and fiddly.
    Otherwise the 3D is far more stable, pity there isn't more for it though, I can't bring myself to buy Xenoblade Chronicles as I already have a physical copy for the Wii.
    I might pick it up later, if I see it cheap

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The only thing I don't like about the N3DS is the power button, my fingers just find it too small and fiddly.
    Otherwise the 3D is far more stable, pity there isn't more for it though, I can't bring myself to buy Xenoblade Chronicles as I already have a physical copy for the Wii.
    I might pick it up later, if I see it cheap

MH4U and Majora's Mask are most played on mine, both look incredible! Find myself able to play with the 3D pumped up all the way comfortable in it for extended periods.

Feck, it says ' This Nintendo ID cannot be linked as it has already been linked on another sysytem.'

Is there anything I can do?

Where is your other system?

Mr E wrote: »
    Where is your other system?

I traded it in. I thought formatting it erased everything. Anyway, I was onto Nintendo Support and they were super helpful. They unlinked my NNID from the console straight away, she just said to wait 2 hours before linking my new one. Phew!

OK.
    Let's consider screens shall we, seeing as that's where you were originally fixated, before you started your anti Nintendo rant.
    Nintendo, you say, released a console with sub par resolution screens.
    Par meaning average so the screens are below average and so representative of why Nintendo push bad hardware on us.
    The Vita, on the other hand, had an exemplary display.
    Ok, the Vita actually has a qHD display, a single display outputting 960x544.
    The 3DS, on the other hand, has a pair of displays, the lower of which is 320x240, while the upper is 800x240, split between two parallax divided images of 400x240 each.
    The is actually processing and displaying three images worth of content, one per eye and a lower screen.
    Couple this with the power requirements from the batteries to process and display this information it may become clear why, in 2011 when the console was produced, there were necessary limits on the displays used in the 3DS line.
    Battery life on a portable console is a prime concern and, by making certain decisions concerning the displays used in the 3DS, Nintendo made a console that can run for 3 to 5 hours.
    The Vita only has a single display to run, so it can afford to be more generous, but it still has a poor battery life as a result, with a similar 3 to 5 hours.
    You want a Vita quality display in the 3DS? That period between charges could drop to an unacceptable hour or two at most.

One more thing is in the period in which the 3DS was made, the display in one of most popular portable devices of the time was the iPhone 3GS with a resolution of 320x480!

If you leave both the Vita and 3DS handhelds in complete standby the Vita will last days (and I mean close to a week) longer. Standy meaning screens are not on at all. Nintendo cheaped out on the screen because they also cheaped out on the battery. Where have we seen this before? Oh yeah. The Wii U controller. Always charging that bloody thing.

Nintendo make great games. Some of the best. But they have had serious shortcomings, more so lately. Cheaping out on hardware. Region locking. No unified account system. A terrible attempt at some kind of account system that literally does not help at all. Artificially keeping their game prices up. Not having any kind of service like PS+ or Games with Gold.

I mean seriously. Wii nunchucks are still €40 new. They just put them in a new box with a U on it. And that is literally half a controller. How is this ok??????

Like them all you want. Nobody would blame you. But try not to be an apologetic fanboy for them when they're actively dishing you out a worse hardware/firmware experience just to increase their margins. You have every right to expect great games AND a powerful system, region free, with games that get cheaper as they get older. Because it's been done. So its possible. They're choosing not to to increase profits. And that's not ok.

post-27970-Kyle-Im-out-gif-South-Park-img-g7wp.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

But try not to be an apologetic fanboy

Stop this nonsense immediately please. Is not tolerated on any of the forums here. If you can't put your points across without resorting to calling people apologists or fanboys simply because they don't think the same as you do, then you need to rethink your argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭Nollog

The PS Vita has a 2210 mAh battery.
    The 3DS has a 1300 mAh battery.

The WiiU has a 1500 mAh battery.

I was recently in Brittany and saw old German batteries, though they were aimed at Allied forces at sea.... back in the day so to speak...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I must say that the USB charger I have is possibly the best purchase I have ever made.

Kinda gone all quiet now...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Bought Kid Icarus Uprising yesterday! €33 including stand and game cover. Can't wait to give it a bash! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Games_top

Saw Nintendo Pocket Football Club for 13 Euro yesterday, why they go to all the trouble of releasing covers just to put a code inside the box, I'll never understand.

Lucky Luke 30 Euro pre-owned, which is equally baffling.

Kinda gone all quiet now...

Nintendo actually was the first console maker to feature 720, back in the 80s:

**Nintendo.wikia.com/wiki/720%C2%B0_NES**

Apologies :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Games_top wrote: »
    Saw Nintendo Pocket Football Club for 13 Euro yesterday, why they go to all the trouble of releasing covers just to put a code inside the box, I'll never understand.

Lucky Luke 30 Euro pre-owned, which is equally baffling.

Is it for collectors? I wonder. Just to have the case.

They are releasing a shovel knight physical edition for €30 on the Wii U in October. I'd imagine most people have this in one form or another for less than €10. It has even sold for less than €10 on the Wii U.. :confused:

Teslagrad is another, and I think there are more.

Allyall wrote: »
    Is it for collectors? I wonder. Just to have the case.

They are releasing a shovel knight physical edition for €30 on the Wii U in October. I'd imagine most people have this in one form or another for less than €10. It has even sold for less than €10 on the Wii U.. :confused:

Teslagrad is another, and I think there are more.

These Wii U games are more collectible than the Amiibos. Teslagrad is one to look for , though (have it on PS4, but it seems more at home on Wii U). Shovel Knight is interesting to me purely because it's going to get a physical release.

Just wish we had a physical NES Remix on Wii U...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭marko93

Lads, if I was to sell my 3DS XL (white) with a few games (FE:A, Pokemon Y, Icarus Rising and some more I think). How much should I be aiming for?

Advertisement