Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Paper jam is good.

The papercraft battles are so silly, I love them!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Hmm, i'm sure someone insisted to me this wasn't going to come out in Q1 in Europe.

CV2koXgXIAAE1XA.jpg:orig
    Return to Luxendarc for new adventures in Bravely Second: End Layer on Nintendo #3DS, coming to Europe on 26/02/2016

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Steamworld Heist is getting stellar reviews (some saying 3DS Game of the Year)

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/steamworld-heist/critic-reviews

Out tonight for 16.99 (going to 19.99 later this month)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

gubbie wrote: »
    I love playing Pokemon Picross... but I love Picross so...

For anyone who's playing it and wants the passwords for the secret levels, they are
    18587211 89907383 74326715 77742314

Thanks for the codes! I'm really enjoying the game too, it's the crossover I've always wanted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

elekid wrote: »
    Thanks for the codes! I'm really enjoying the game too, it's the crossover I've always wanted.

I'm playing Mario's Picross 2 on the GB at the moment, via emulation on my GB Micro stored on a GBA flashcart!
    It's brilliant though, with tons of content.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,626 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Top 5 3DS Games - GameSpot Game of the Year 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fy3vLoxkHU

Gamespot as ever being contentious.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mr E wrote: »
    Steamworld Heist is getting stellar reviews (some saying 3DS Game of the Year)

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/steamworld-heist/critic-reviews

Out tonight for 16.99 (going to 19.99 later this month)

Played it for an hour last night and loved it. I'm now juggling Binding of Isaac, Mario and Luigi Paper Jam, Pokemon Picross and Steamworld Heist on my 3DS (after it was neglected for most of the year). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Does anyone else play the Badge grabby machine game? There's no way I'm spending money on it but it's usually good for 2 or 3 free plays a day, and the icons are handy for marking your folders. The Splatoon-themed Shop and Miiverse icons were pretty nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, I'll be damned if I'm spending money on it, but while it's giving free plays, it's all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Absolutely heart broken my second 2ds this year has suffered damage. Water this time and again like the first has a NNID with loads of games linked to it. I bought a small screwdriver set and have opened it up as much as I can but to no avail.

I'll go nuts without my games over the next few days. The charging light comes o while plugged in but no response when powered on. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Absolutely heart broken my second 2ds this year has suffered damage. Water this time and again like the first has a NNID with loads of games linked to it. I bought a small screwdriver set and have opened it up as much as I can but to no avail.

I'll go nuts without my games over the next few days. The charging light comes o while plugged in but no response when powered on. :(

Little consolation, but the 2DS prices have dropped and are going lower.
    I'd say you may pick one up in January for as little as €50. Unfortunately most of the better offers will probably be on the continent in B&M stores, or only available nationally.

If you know anyone in France or Germany...

Examples
    http://www.cdiscount.com/jeux-pc-video-console/consoles/pack-nintendo-2ds-rose-tomodachi-housse-bleue/f-1033918-bun2dstomohsbl.html
    http://www.cdiscount.com/jeux-pc-video-console/consoles/pack-nintendo-2ds-bleue-transparente-resident-ev/f-1033918-bun2dsblskeres.html
    http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ORGLJZS/

Expired
    http://www.mydealz.de/deals/kaufland-frankfurt-am-main-nintendo-2ds-mario-kart-bundle-euro-40-73-billiger-634876
    http://www.mydealz.de/deals/nintendo-2ds-new-super-mario-bros-2-special-edition-50-bei-technik-direkt-647234

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

And it starts... Will we get prices remotely similar to this?

Page 3
    http://catalogue.auchan.fr/courses-et-blanc-la-suite/flash/beevirtua.html

2DS for €44.99

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Allyall wrote: »
    And it starts... Will we get prices remotely similar to this?

Page 3
    http://catalogue.auchan.fr/courses-et-blanc-la-suite/flash/beevirtua.html

2DS for €44.99

Ladies drawers for a fiver!

If (hypothetically) the NX is released this year as a handheld form at least, surely the 3DS will receive huge price reductions towards and after the launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Smyths last week had the white 2ds solo for €50. The bundle console remained at full price seeing as it is in stock unlike the solo console. Any of you stupid nerds make a star wars reference and I'll turn this car right around.

If (hypothetically) the NX is released this year as a handheld form at least, surely the 3DS will receive huge price reductions towards and after the launch.

I'd say the whole kit and kaboodle, both handheld and home console, will be replaced this year.
    I'm not sure the N3DS has gained much traction at all, and that the system is ripe for replacement, the console is 5 years old in 2016.
    The DS was replaced after 7 years, and several hardware revisions up to the DSi maintained it's popularity, and after it's 2 years on market was replaced with the 3DS.
    The N3DS was released in late 2014 so I would guess it's two years are up and whatever the replacement is we'll see it released for the Christmas market this year.
    The lack of any new traction for the WiiU seems to make it a cert that it's replacement will be released for the same period.

We are almost certain to be treated to an assault of marketing material for the new hardware over the coming year, an embargo of sorts has been in place for 2015 on any new official news on these machines, but this ends with the New Year and we can look forward to reasons to be cheerful in 2016 soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I'm not sure the N3DS has gained much traction at all, and that the system is ripe for replacement, the console is 5 years old in 2016.

The New 3DS sold over 4m units as of June 30th. That system is selling.

The New 3DS sold over 4m units as of June 30th. That system is selling.

Selling and traction is all relative though innit. Like that tombraider game that solid 5 million copies, yet was still described as a failure by Square Enix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Selling and traction is all relative though innit. Like that tombraider game that solid 5 million copies, yet was still described as a failure by Square Enix.

I'd still wouldn't describe a system that's sold 4m units in six months as not having any traction. And I can see the 3DS staying on in the early stages of the NX era as something of a safety blanket considering it's current install base and it's continuing ability to sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Santa brought my daughter (5) a 3ds for Christmas, and she's lost the stylus already. :mad:

To my amazement I've discovered that no-one sells them in a bricks and mortar in Ireland.

So far, I've tried argos, gamestop, harvery norman and smyths. Anyone any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

Santa brought my daughter (5) a 3ds for Christmas, and she's lost the stylus already. :mad:

To my amazement I've discovered that no-one sells them in a bricks and mortar in Ireland.

So far, I've tried argos, gamestop, harvery norman and smyths. Anyone any suggestions?

I saw ds accessory packs in Euro General earlier today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ninjini wrote: »
    I saw ds accessory packs in Euro General earlier today.

Ah cool, never even thought of there.

In fairness, they seem to pull me our oc holes regularly.

Will check it out in the morning . Cheers.

Perhaps I over stated the consoles lack of popularity.
    What I really should have said is that the tech in the machine is looking very dated now.

The DSi was still selling bucket loads when it was replaced, in three years it shipped 41 million units, but was still superseded by the 3DS.
    During the early days of the 3DS the DSi was still selling well. Just before the introduction of the 3DS the DS family of consoles were selling nine million consoles, in Christmas 2010.

With handheld tech becoming better and better, even the cheapest of smart phones now have a superior screen to even the Vita, as well as the lack of processing power of the 3DS line, again compared to the cheapest of handsets now out there.
    With this in mind a replacement for the 3DS must be near and, while I can see the 3DS being supported in parallel, the time is right for Nintendo to bring on something staggering, something that will integrate with the NX home console.
    2016 will have all the answers for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I'm hoping the software at least will receive price reductions. I bought Mario 3D Land two years ago. It's still the same price. Retail prices will therefore keep secondhand prices high too.

It's the one thing that will keep me from considering an NX. Nintendo ask for too much of my gaming budget.

I recently bought twenty PS3 games for 80 euro which puts things into perspective.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    I'm hoping the software at least will receive price reductions. I bought Mario 3D Land two years ago. It's still the same price. Retail prices will therefore keep secondhand prices high too.

It's the one thing that will keep me from considering an NX. Nintendo ask for too much of my gaming budget.

I recently bought twenty PS3 games for 80 euro which puts things into perspective.

Nintendo games never go down in price, they usually rise in fact. Sucks, but what can you do. Mario 64 came out in November 2004 (US) and its only marginally cheaper by £5 or so than it was at launch.

Nintendo games never go down in price, they usually rise in fact. Sucks, but what can you do. Mario 64 came out in November 2004 (US) and its only marginally cheaper by £5 or so than it was at launch.

Barring the Nintendo Selects range for the 3DS
    Nintendogs & Cats
    Zelda: Link between Worlds
    Starfox 3D
    Mario Tennis
    Mario Party
    Yoshi's New Island

All previously full price games, all discounted and available for less that €20 from Smyth's

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Barring the Nintendo Selects range for the 3DS
    Nintendogs & Cats
    Zelda: Link between Worlds
    Starfox 3D
    Mario Tennis
    Mario Party
    Yoshi's New Island

All previously full price games, all discounted and available for less that €20 from Smyth's

Well exceptions to the rule then :pac: Look at the pokemon games, Heartgold was €40 from HMV at release, now its €50 - 60 including the poke walker, despite it being nearly 6 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The 'Nintendo price' has pro's and cons to it. The obvious con being that they stay a little expensive, however for buying and trade in they actually remain value. I see PS4 games new at €60+ and only a few months they are being sold for €15-20 it's hard to justify constantly buying new physical games like that. I understand people saying they stay too expensive for long but in the huge era of buying and then trading they are good value in that way.

I guess by staying away from yearly updates Nintendo games just hold their value better than elsewhere.
    At the same time, there's no justifying charging big money for Mario 64, no matter how good the game remains.

PS4 games are being discounted by the end retailer, and the arrangement with the publisher is very different, apparently, from the relationship and business model operated by Nintendo.
    By the same token, even before the release of the Selects range, the likes of Kid Icarus and Starfox 64 3D were discounted in their physical formats, so there are bargains to be had, same goes for, Cave Story 3D, cheap to buy from the EShop, in the US at least it's $9.99, free on other formats in fact like the PC and PSP, but a very expensive title to find in physical form due to low print run.link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

I'm a huge Nintendo fan, and my love of gaming is in no small part thanks to them and their little Italian mascot with the nes being my first console. I got a Wii u for Christmas this year and even picked up a gamecube lately having missed it due to the PS2 being so good at the time. I own pretty much every Nintendo console and handheld there is but I have to agree that Nintendo products as a whole are expensive.
    I feel they have priced themselves out of a lot of sales over the past decade or so. I know the wii was a huge success but the Wii u has been a commercial flop. Its a great machine, no doubt, with some wonderful games. But the problem is those games will never go under the €50 mark. (with the exception of third party games like zombie u). It's very hard the compete with Sony and Microsoft when they offer free games every month on their online stores and when the games can be got for as little as €20 after only a few months of release.

Advertisement