Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Im giving very serious thought to eating your wife to getting the new 3ds xl as there are plenty of games Id like having, like the Zeldas, Fire emblem, xenoblade..... Is the eshop any good? I'd be sold if Super Metroid, Mario World etc were available on it.

Also I got rid of my DS ages ago and I used to have an R4 cart for it. Does something like that exist? Not looking to find out where to get them or anything as I know that's bold.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think the always updating firmware of the 3DS precludes the ease of use of such a card.
    As long as you don't mind missing out on new features and hanging back on older firmware, plus the matter of illegally sourcing games online that have been patched so playable.
    With many titles enjoying online features they'll likely to be unavailable as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    Im giving very serious thought to eating your wife to getting the new 3ds xl as there are plenty of games Id like having, like the Zeldas, Fire emblem, xenoblade..... Is the eshop any good? I'd be sold if Super Metroid, Mario World etc were available on it.

Also I got rid of my DS ages ago and I used to have an R4 cart for it. Does something like that exist? Not looking to find out where to get them or anything as I know that's bold.

Nope, no R4 card available for the 3DS. Better to just buy the games :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nope, no R4 card available for the 3DS. Better to just buy the games :)

I thought there were some dodgy cards out there, perhaps they are only to allow the playing of DS titles on the 3DS?
    There is one, called Gateway, that seems to do the lot, but I'd have to wonder why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Got Majora's Mask at Christmas. Still unopened due to other duties but have a bit of fear about it due to a lack of time at the moment...

• Advertisement

Majoras mask is so good though, it needs to be played.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Majoras mask is so good though, it needs to be played.

Oh without doubt, Just need to set aside some decent hours to do so!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Whats up, picked up the 3DS XL over christmas and loving it so far. Only have Link Between Worlds, MarioKart and Pokemon X so far but enjoying them all so far. Will be keeping an eye out for a few more essential games soon.

Only issue is the lack of Streetpass hits (despite a wander around Dublin City with wireless on) and none of my friends having a DS.

I hunted around for for topics/threads on this stuff but they all seemed to be years old...am i missing something more recent?

My code is 3239 - 6652 - 0170 if anyone wants to add me.

Also any recommendations for streetpass locations other than the obvious conventions/game stores?

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Start driving a taxi for a living and drive around all day with the 3ds in the car and you will get lots of street pass hits.
    That what I do anyway :-)

You've really got to commit to this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Withrax

If you are ever in melbourne and walk around with a 3ds in your pocket you will get a shedload of streetpass hits

• Advertisement

Withrax wrote: »
    If you are ever in melbourne and walk around with a 3ds in your pocket you will get a shedload of streetpass hits

My idea is more realistic.

iamtony wrote: »
    Start driving a taxi for a living and drive around all day with the 3ds in the car and you will get lots of street pass hits.
    That what I do anyway :-)

You've really got to commit to this stuff.

Hah! That's not a bad plan actually, may just keep the DS in sleep while i'm driving around now. Does anyone know how close you actually need for the streetpass to kick in?

We talking 10 metres? 50?

Hah! That's not a bad plan actually, may just keep the DS in sleep while i'm driving around now. Does anyone know how close you actually need for the streetpass to kick in?

We talking 10 metres? 50?
    Yeah I don't bother any more but when I did I got a few hits everyday. I'm not sure what the range is but I'd guess its somewhere in between the numbers you mentioned. It uses WiFi so I'd say it would be similar to the range of your phones WiFi hotspot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Whatever you do don't spend a few hours at a major international airport that basically functions as a link point between Europe, the Middle East and Asia, all you'll get is one lousy hit :(

Funnily enough the hit I did get was from someone in Melbourne...

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Smash Ireland on Facebook meet at the XGC every Saturday and Wednesday for Smash Bros, I imagine some have their ds with them :) other than that, gamestop have a Nintendo zone set up usually.

I'm in limerick myself, but I find I might get a couple hits if I'm in UL for the day. Other than that it's really a hit or miss kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Nintendo are releasing some Pokemon themed 2DS's.

https://twitter.com/NintendoEurope/status/686925817985785856

And America are getting this:
    CYh1Fn9U0AAKsVz.jpg

We'd be better be getting them faceplates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Also the 20th anniversary promo video.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Is Youkai Watch ever coming out? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

From the Nintendo UK/Ireland "Terms of Sale":
    We only deliver products by post to addresses within the UK.
    We are not able to deliver orders to mail forwarding, mail hotel or PO.Box addresses.

I got a loan of my niece's 3ds so I could play Chrono Trigger(which is awesome obviously) but I have to say I'm very disappointed with the eshop. Why don't they have SNES and GBA games available on it? Doesn't make any sense.

You should probably search this forum for "eshop", "nintendo" and "disappointment", most by one particular user too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I got a loan of my niece's 3ds so I could play Chrono Trigger(which is awesome obviously) but I have to say I'm very disappointed with the eshop. Why don't they have SNES and GBA games available on it? Doesn't make any sense.

They're all found on the Wii U eshop.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    They're all found on the Wii U eshop.

Helpful that....

I'll just sit here with my 3DS ambassador console and play some metroid fusion :cool:

It is crazy they don't have the whole SNES back catalogue in their considering you can download every game in one file to a PC for emulation.
    I wonder is their a problem with the power of the 3ds maybe? I know is shouldn't take much power to run a snes game but who knows.

Aye, there's a host of SNES games i'd love to revisit.

And much to my shame as an RPG fan, i've never actually played Chrono Trigger.

I don't know about the SNES library, but I believe the reason we never got the GBA games was that the performance of them running on the 3DS was below Nintendo's standards. You can see with the ambassador games even, there's no sleep mode for example in them, or save states or nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭abbir

I don't think the 3DS has enough power to properly emulate SNES games. I've read SNES games work well on the New 3DS using homebrew but run poorly on the original 3DS.
    I don't know about the SNES library, but I believe the reason we never got the GBA games was that the performance of them running on the 3DS was below Nintendo's standards. You can see with the ambassador games even, there's no sleep mode for example in them, or save states or nothing.

The ambassador games are running on a sort of GBA mode due to the DS being backwards compatible and then the 3DS being backwards compatible. Nintendo aren't happy with their performance and they would want to add new features like sleep mode and save states to actually sell them properly.

Advertisement