Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So so much talk about fire emblem and now when it's finally out its like "the great white" or "planes of silence" here( who ever gets a reference gets 3 bonus points :pac: )
    I am working flat out till Monday so can't pick it up and my misses just being a dick. :D
    I finish 4 on Sunday if am I lucky it will leave me am hour to get back to limerick. Smiths working till 6 Sunday, so I will pick it up. If not maybe Monday before work.

Any opinions so far? Better then awakening?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm going to get it next weekend (after payday). Really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Argos galway advertising shovel knight on 3ds for 23 euro. Went in earlier and surprise surprise... No stock. Always the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

smurf492 wrote: »
    Argos galway advertising shovel knight on 3ds for 23 euro. Went in earlier and surprise surprise... No stock. Always the same...

I think thats the price its always been, its only like a tenner on the e shop isn't it? Probably get the same or similar in gamestop or whatever./

edit - finally got some street passes in Dublin today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

So so much talk about fire emblem and now when it's finally out its like "the great white" or "planes of silence" here( who ever gets a reference gets 3 bonus points :pac: )
    I am working flat out till Monday so can't pick it up and my misses just being a dick. :D
    I finish 4 on Sunday if am I lucky it will leave me am hour to get back to limerick. Smiths working till 6 Sunday, so I will pick it up. If not maybe Monday before work.

Any opinions so far? Better then awakening?

Only played it for just over an hour so far. It plays very similarly to Awakening at this point with the ability to pair up. The first few missions have been pretty easy and I've not come close to losing a unit. The Conquest version apparently gets much more difficultt though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Only played it for just over an hour so far. It plays very similarly to Awakening at this point with the ability to pair up. The first few missions have been pretty easy and I've not come close to losing a unit. The Conquest version apparently gets much more difficultt though.

From what Ive read the Birthright version has more areas to infinitely grind up character levels, Conquest is more about spacing out your potential xp to your squad.

Well, played fire emblem for about 6 hours since I got it yesterday.

So just my humble first impressions opinion, take it for what's it's worth:

Prologue and story really grabbed me. I see the whole two game idea properly and I have to admit, it's very cool way of doing it. The situation where main character is put is complicated. I felt like a proper dick when they let you choose side. Technically you can't choose if you got only one version, but it let's you to get other game from that point. I will be honest, the way things went, I kind of now would have chosen conquest story line, but I am not ready for harder version. All in all its set up is really cool.
    Game wise it's text book awakening and almost nothing new. The new thing is that units are adjusted to you on the sides give you bonuses. If you played fire emblem before, then you will be right at home.
    Now the issue I got with game and I hadn't in previous game. I just don't feel Any character I want to "mingle" with and same goes for other characters. In previous games I was excited right off the bat and had all my characters sorted and paired up. I wonder if I just don't feel that same magic I used to. I think I'll go back to monster hunter again. And dip in to fire emblem.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

How much is it to buy Fates as digital downloads if you already have one version? I remember reading something that said they would be discounted if you already owned one of them but I can't find a price anywhere online. I'm regretting being too lazy to bother preordering Fates now :P

How much is it to buy Fates as digital downloads if you already have one version? I remember reading something that said they would be discounted if you already owned one of them but I can't find a price anywhere online. I'm regretting being too lazy to bother preordering Fates now :P

20 quid I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

20 quid I think.

Thanks, that's better than I expected given that it's Nintendo. I'll get Birthright off The Game Collection and buy the other two digitally - I never sell my games anyway. €79 for three games isn't bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I still don't know if I will be getting the special edition of Fire Emblem fates had it on pre order with game but there was a cock up with paypal order was cancelled last week but money was taken but they said they still have them in stock but not listing them online so I dunno waiting for them to get in touch so either I'll get the game or refund. I also have a copy on order with Amazon Italy but June 20th is the release date.

I'll either end up with 2 copies, 1 copy or no copies and all I have at the moment is a headache.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A quick question, undoubtedly a stupid n00b question too
    Isn't Fire Emblem a re-skin on Advance Wars?
    I mean, I have a few of each series and that's what it appears to be, both made by Intelligent Systems.
    I am missing something I'm sure, but isn't the hype around it all a little too much?
    I have the last Fire Emblem title and have yet to play it beyond the early missions, perhaps it's not for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I mean, I have a few of each series and that's what it appears to be, both made by Intelligent Systems.
    I am missing something I'm sure, but isn't the hype around it all a little too much?
    I have the last Fire Emblem title and have yet to play it beyond the early missions, perhaps it's not for me :(

Fire emblem is my favourite so shut your mouth. Shut up shut up shut up!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »

Advance wars are different. This is a lot more like rpg, where advance war is a lot more strategy.
    Plus fire emblem is all about getting your characters to fu*k! No, really! You built relationships between characters to make them stronger amd if they like each other a lot, then they do a dirty and you get a brand new character. Now it becomes kind of like pokemon then, because different characters will have different children.
    One cool thing I noticed that you can have gay marriage!!! I was so excited to make a new file with stone cold sexy lesbian, but appearantly gay couples can't have children, which is a debate on Internet right now.

I got now 10h put in to it and I kind of loving it a lot more since initial impressions. Got my first couple paired and I already found what my main character is going to hit on! :D
    Got a few master Seals and upgraded my characters. It really started to grow on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

One cool thing I noticed that you can have gay marriage!!! I was so excited to make a new file with stone cold sexy lesbian, but appearantly gay couples can't have children, which is a debate on Internet right now.

Straight couples in FE can't adopt. Gay couples in FE can't adopt. Equality is a knife that cuts all the crusts off. In fairness, the point of the children is to mix two bloodlines. That's a tough thing to do with a gay couple in a pseudo-medieval setting, and introducing a donor without having to S-Rank a 2nd relationship would make life very difficult and confusing for the player (or very easy if you could just pick the donor, and that's hardly fair either). Given that no other aspect of the game demonstrates a mastery of the kind of technology required to fertilize an egg with genetic material harvested either from another egg or other source from a non-sperm-producing donor, I don't see what there is to argue about.

Have to concur about the relationship building side of things. My playthrough of FE:A actually stalled out permanently because I got to the point where one relationship is forced upon you and I hadn't seen it coming or set the groom up with my chosen bride. It makes such a huge difference to the units available to you in the second part of the game, and there's a certain perverse thrill in the quirk that lets you go for a 3rd generation if you're careful about who you build an S-Relationship with :D FE:A even had a special DLC that was purely for building relationships.

That's not to say that the game isn't just as strategic as Advance Wars, but I ended up so obsessed with building specific relationships that I threw all strategy out the window in favour of trying to get 2 characters to screw on the battlefield...

Having said that, apparently Conquest doesn't let you faff about with side-quests and what not to build XP and relationships. If you faff, you die. That's more of a Birthright way to play. Or maybe I have that backwards. So if you want some rock-hard permadeath hardship in your life, buy Conquest. Unless, as mentioned, I have it backwards, in which case buy Birthright.

Bit of a stupid question but do I need a new 3ds to play the new fire emblem games?

Please say no.

You don't.

Depends. If your old 3DS is broken or was stolen then you probably do. Context, man! Give us context!

Played through the first 5 chapters of FE:F, I'm not seeing a heart-wrenching decision looming in 1 chapter's time, it's pretty clear who the baddies and the goodies are, there's little to no moral grey area - so far it's just been a parade of "here are all the characters you can mate with - the slutty one, the feisty one, the other feisty one, the demure childish one, yet another feisty one, the non human one, the other demure childish one, the slightly distant but obviously the right choice one, the haughty, disdainful one... wait did they just call 'him' brother?; and a pair of maids that are clearly happy to share".

If they pull off a massive moral twist in the next chapter, I'll be astounded. And if they don't establish pretty quickly that I'm a foundling and not blood-related to any of my sisters on either side quickly, I'm going to have a bit of an issue grinding our relationships to S class. Even saying that sounds wrong... and yet so right... wait for me Camilla, you dirty bird you!

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    Depends. If your old 3DS is broken or was stolen then you probably do. Context, man! Give us context!

Played through the first 5 chapters of FE:F, I'm not seeing a heart-wrenching decision looming in 1 chapter's time, it's pretty clear who the baddies and the goodies are, there's little to no moral grey area - so far it's just been a parade of "here are all the characters you can mate with - the slutty one, the feisty one, the other feisty one, the demure childish one, yet another feisty one, the non human one, the other demure childish one, the slightly distant but obviously the right choice one, the haughty, disdainful one... wait did they just call 'him' brother?; and a pair of maids that are clearly happy to share".

If they pull off a massive moral twist in the next chapter, I'll be astounded. And if they don't establish pretty quickly that I'm a foundling and not blood-related to any of my sisters on either side quickly, I'm going to have a bit of an issue grinding our relationships to S class. Even saying that sounds wrong... and yet so right... wait for me Camilla, you dirty bird you!

Its funny how everyones brain wired hehe. Ill put it in spoilers, just in case:
    You see, for me decide was hard. I am not a supported of Nohr at all, but the "brothers and sisters" who were with character for so long, supporting, loving and helping essentially became enemies. The way I see it, I dont want them to see die as they would be real family raised you, not people you just met and just said "we are the real parents". I wanted to join Nohr just for one reason - stay with people who raised me and had my back. You do see it that siblings of king are not EVIL. In away the whole conflict looks like WW2 world vs germany. Not all Germans wanted to be SS Killers, they did it, because they had to and propaganda. Die from your own country or so called enemies.
    Maybe I am overthinking it, but I felt like an asshole going with birthright campaign. :)

As for relationships: Its weird to build them up as all main cast is your brothers or sisters! I guess inbreeding was a hit in royal families after all! :pac:
    Do all S rank relationships get a new character? or If you go S rank with sister, you just become good friends and no new character? Same as gay marriage?

I gather you can S-Rank (and we all know what that's a euphemism for!) pretty much anyone you want.
    I see your point about how the choice affected you, but for me the way all of the characters are written they're basically interchangeable puppets with zero depth. It was the same at the start of Awakenings - actually, a lot of the broad strokes of the setup are very similar. I understand that it's a huge cast of characters, they don't have time to introduce them slowly and flesh them out so they need to stick to archetypes, but the my initial impression that each Nohrian has a direct equivalent Hoshidan wearing slightly more clothes makes it painfully clear that they want you to have a similar experience whichever way you go, and that it's a difficulty setting rather than a moral choice.

I hope to be proven wrong :D
    I'm going Birthright, purely because I'm not hardcore enough to go Conquest yet. I'd like to think that going Conquest at least lets you choose between being a mindless tool of aggression vs maybe working towards a lasting peace forged with Nohrian steel and the blood of the Hoshidan scum. Oh, wait...

I think I'm still a bit bitter that I chose my bride early on, then found out that she was my mother... Never have I had a more true understanding of Caveat Emptor... Still, it's a Japanese game right? Anything goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Banjo wrote: »
    I'm going to have a bit of an issue grinding our relationships to S class.

You old romantic. :D

I wonder if that could work in real life, replacing the 'it's not you it's me' line?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

New Kirby game in two weeks!
    Squeee!!!!
    giphy.gif
    giphy.gif

I have yet to finish a kirby game. Still buying this one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Early reviews of Kirby are saying the 3D is fantastic and one of the best utilisations of it on the system.

Corholio wrote: »
    Early reviews of Kirby are saying the 3D is fantastic and one of the best utilisations of it on the system.

Yep it looks like a must buy but then all Kirby games usually are.

Pretty sure I street passed a boardsie today!

Corholio wrote: »

That's exactly what they said about Kirby Triple Deluxe too, and it was an amazing looking game.
    Such a pity that the best Kirby titles this gen appeared on the 3DS, the WiiU should have gotten better, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse demands eyes on the Gamepad screen instead of the TV, meaning a poorer experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well crap. I bought a new 3DS XL in Nintendo New York last week and I'm only just remembering that Nintendo have region locked their consoles. Anyone know what my options are for new games now aside from importing everything? Can I use the Eshop store out of the gate with an Irish credit/debit card or will I have to keep buying US Nintendo points.

Advertisement