Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Well crap. I bought a new 3DS XL in Nintendo New York last week and I'm only just remembering that Nintendo have region locked their consoles. Anyone know what my options are for new games now aside from importing everything? Can I use the Eshop store out of the gate with an Irish credit/debit card or will I have to keep buying US Nintendo points.

I was able to use my Irish debit card on Australian E-shop, so that should be fine right? Thats super annoying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Well crap. I bought a new 3DS XL in Nintendo New York last week and I'm only just remembering that Nintendo have region locked their consoles. Anyone know what my options are for new games now aside from importing everything? Can I use the Eshop store out of the gate with an Irish credit/debit card or will I have to keep buying US Nintendo points.

If you are importing use VGP, you will get most new games for €35, because you have a US unit you can only use the US and the Canadian eShops.

Your best to set your region to Canada as that eStore will accept international credit and debit cards, you will actually end up saving money in the long run and have a better selection of games by having the NA model.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,335 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah think it might actually work out for the best. Set it up as Canadian and added $100 of credit which worked out at €69. Got Fire Emblem Birthright, Ocarina of Time, Earthbound and 3D Gunstar Heroes out of it. Think I'll be investing in a big SD card now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

Got Kirby: Planet Robobot for my Jap 3ds. It's essentially the same as the last game. Just a reskin. Was hoping for a little more, maybe it will come after a few hours of play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Got Kirby: Planet Robobot for my Jap 3ds. It's essentially the same as the last game. Just a reskin. Was hoping for a little more, maybe it will come after a few hours of play.

I can't wait for this one myself.
    The previous game, Triple Deluxe, was so good that even a reskin is fine by me!
    But then, Kirby titles have been more about a slow progression, with the games that attempted bigger gameplay changes, like Rainbow Paintbrush or Mass Attack, not really hitting the spot.
    Both 3DS titles are really just spun off from the excellent Kirby Return to Dreamland on the Wii, well worth looking out for that one.

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I can't wait for this one myself.
    The previous game, Triple Deluxe, was so good that even a reskin is fine by me!
    But then, Kirby titles have been more about a slow progression, with the games that attempted bigger gameplay changes, like Rainbow Paintbrush or Mass Attack, not really hitting the spot.
    Both 3DS titles are really just spun off from the excellent Kirby Return to Dreamland on the Wii, well worth looking out for that one.

Yeah, I didn't mean it was a bad game, it's actually great fun as expected but I was hoping for something new. I have to say it is actually beautiful. The 3D is pretty great too.

I recommend getting it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Any Kirby fan needs to own Kirby Super Star Ultra on the DS, it's a brilliant pack including a remake of the original Kirby game on the NES as well as remixes and minigames, I have it along with the first version of the compilation on the Snes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Smyths are quoting €49.99 for the game with the amiibo or €39.99 without atm. Hope Argos do it cheaper.

Donkey Kong Country 3 is on offer for €5.59 love that game. Have never played Earthbound though so not sure which to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Donkey Kong Country 3 is on offer for €5.59 love that game. Have never played Earthbound though so not sure which to buy.

Earthbound, no contest.

• Advertisement

Yeah, Earthbound is an era defining role playing game and DKC3 is an exceedingly pretty but ultimately simple platformer.
    Earthbound is full of clever humour and innovation.
    DKC3 is full of pre-rendered visuals and in jokes about Donkey Kong.
    No choice really....

Get Vectorman on the Megadrive!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Quick question:

Looking to gift a UK friend with either a game or an eshop card for the equivalent value. Any tips on how to go about doing this? bearing in mind I've already bought the game for myself, so that's off the table. Paypal's eshop card system won't work either. I'm thinking buy from GAME but are their gift cards digital? I can't find any information on this.

Thanks

UPDATE: I managed to get it to work through cdkeys, it was relatively straightforward but idk why it took so long to actually find this information - Nintendo certainly enjoy being awkward xD

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yeah, Earthbound is an era defining role playing game and DKC3 is an exceedingly pretty but ultimately simple platformer.
    Earthbound is full of clever humour and innovation.
    DKC3 is full of pre-rendered visuals and in jokes about Donkey Kong.
    No choice really....

Get Vectorman on the Megadrive!!!!!

I think he wants a good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Thank you for inadvertently informing me that Earthbound is on the store! :eek:

Just bought it!

sheep? wrote: »
    Thank you for inadvertently informing me that Earthbound is on the store! :eek:

Just bought it!

Awesome, me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

So, when I was purchasing my new 2DS I was led to believe I could play downloadable SNES games on it, which I now know is not true. Is there any way around this, bar buying a 3DS?

Also, is there much of a homebrew community for this console?

Thanks.

Saipanne wrote: »
    So, when I was purchasing my new 2DS I was led to believe I could play downloadable SNES games on it, which I now know is not true. Is there any way around this, bar buying a 3DS?

Also, is there much of a homebrew community for this console?

Thanks.

No, only the 'new' models of the 3DS play SNES games. And I don't know about home-brew.

Massive homebrew scene. A quick google will get you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Have to say, I just love Fire Emblem. Although I hate when I get a character killed stupidly right at the end of a battle.
    Oversight, neglect, poor planning, impatience and stupidity. When these five powers combine... Ah damn

I love new kirby. Its so fun.

• Advertisement

So what do ye think of the new RPG for 3ds? It's called Ever Oasis. I personally think it looks a lot like Fantasy Life. It seems like it has the capacity for a good multiplayer mode but they didn't mention whether or not it would have it. Due for release sometime in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Any way of putting Netflix on the 3ds? I know the app was released. In America but no other areas can get it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,137 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I just remembered yesterday about that Detective Pikachu game. So it was released in February in Japan. Any western release planned?

CastorTroy wrote:
    I just remembered yesterday about that Detective Pikachu game. So it was released in February in Japan. Any western release planned?

It wasn't even shown at e3, so I'm not sure. I would have thought a western release would be on the cards given pokemon's popularity but it doesn't seem like it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Kirby: Planet Robobot is really good. Easy enough, as Kirby games are, but the different mechanics of the 3D are wonderful. I think there's enough in it to distinguish it from previous titles, especially the different mechs. There's a few uses of them that you'd miss the first time round and that I didn't discover until I read about them. The mini game is also pretty cool and actually would have been pretty fun as a bigger game than it is.

Got kirby last week gave it a go just now it's bloody good fun. I am still stuck into Fire Emblem at the moment though so kirby will have to wait his turn. Are the new kirby amiibos needed at all also has anyone played FE revelations yet and is it any good; still debating on either revelations or Earthbound as I only have enough credit for one or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Been playing pokemon rumble there thr free pokemon game on the store

To be fair it's a good game for it being free only problem is that it takes a age for you to do the next story mission Eg 24 hours so I only can do one a day and it make me go crazy ha ha. Otherwise you have to pay for it and I am anti paying for these games anyway

But we'll worth it if you won't a fairly good free game

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭smurf492

Corholio wrote:
    Kirby: Planet Robobot is really good. Easy enough, as Kirby games are, but the different mechanics of the 3D are wonderful. I think there's enough in it to distinguish it from previous titles, especially the different mechs. There's a few uses of them that you'd miss the first time round and that I didn't discover until I read about them. The mini game is also pretty cool and actually would have been pretty fun as a bigger game than it is.

So looking forward to picking this up next week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Something i never thought i needed, a pink blob in a mech suit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Rorok

I'm buying a 3ds on adverts, anything I should look out for to show it's in good condition

Advertisement