Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Well you know they're crooked but it's the only game in town. Expect the animal crossing ones to go up in price as the support for new leaf is rolled out soon enough. I need the nook nephew twin figure. Tommy and Timmy not as crooked as their uncle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I was in Liffey Valley shopping centre and there is no where to buy videogames there now.
    It's a real eye opener to where the market has gone.
    It seems that we are back pedaling to the early days of the 90's when it was toy shops that stocked games and the occasional independent in a back room somewhere.
    HMV gone, Gamestop shutting less profitable stores, essentially anyone with sense is buying from CEX or online, I think GS has made itself even less popular than before, if that was possible, with the focus now not only on high prices, lousy sales but also giving over half it's floor space to cr@p like Uncharted mugs and Assassins Creed keyrings.
    It's now just Smyth's, CEX and Argos in terms of bricks and mortar, and CEX don't sell new stock, and when they do get in recent releases they have imported the pricing policy from GS!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Agreed, i've found it very hard to get 3DS or original DS games in physical stores.

Was in Manchester there a couple weeks back, and it was the same scenario to be honest.

I've found a lot of gems on Adverts though, picking up the following for about €70

Donkey Kong Country Returns
    Super Mario 3D World
    New Yoshi's Island
    Marion Kart 7

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I was interested in MHS before but this seals the deal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Gunmonkey wrote: »

I was interested in MHS before but this seals the deal.

So, seeing as I am uninitiated to the whole Monster Hunters franchise, far a quick fumble with a PS2 game of the series, what's the deal with this?

I mean, is this a bit of a bonus for Nintendo and LoZ fans?
    Is it a full games worth of Hyrule awesomeness?
    Is the game worth getting?
    Help needed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I don't think it's a stand-alone game, it's like the other Nintendo goodies in MH4 and MHX - you can get Epona as a mount, build a Majora's Mask for your Felyne/Chakalaka assistant, and craft Link's clothes and weapons.

MH4 let you craft Mario and Luigi armour for your 2 assistants complete with the boop-diddy-boop-boop hammers, Samus armour and gun, Link's gear... I think there's some Princess Zelda stuff in MH X too but I can't stomach all the gathering quests...

Edit : But Monster Hunter Stories is a game in it's own right - a kind of chibi MH to rope in the Yo Kai / Pokemon crowd.

I suppose it's the landscape, the background to the final frame, with the smoking volcano, it all looks quite Hyrule.
    I know that Zelda Breath of Life is based around the Xenoblade Chronicles X engine, plus there's the Dynasty Warriors powered Hyrule Warriors game, a Monster Hunter LoZ game would be pure magic, with enough variation in fauna stalking around the landscape if you look at the franchise as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Waiting around for Picross 3D to come out in the EU is pretty excruciating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

So after reading up on 3ds and reading this thread i decided to go ahead and order one.

Got one through the warehouse deals on amazon.de as people recommended here so thanks for that. Cost me 140 and i picked up a link between worlds as well. Got Street fighter 4, Mariokart DS and Ninja Gaiden all secondhand.

Have to say loving it so far, this is my first proper handheld console since I got my Neo Geo Pocket Color. I've hours of fun ahead of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

I just did a quick 3DS want list.

It added up to nearly €500! :( The system is too bloody good.

• Advertisement

So after reading up on 3ds and reading this thread i decided to go ahead and order one.

Got one through the warehouse deals on amazon.de as people recommended here so thanks for that. Cost me 140 and i picked up a link between worlds as well. Got Street fighter 4, Mariokart DS and Ninja Gaiden all secondhand.

Have to say loving it so far, this is my first proper handheld console since I got my Neo Geo Pocket Color. I've hours of fun ahead of me.

Keep your eyes on local markets, Adverts.ie and the like, 3DS games come up all the time and you might snatch a nice lot buy with some titles you almost certainly haven't gotten yet.
    The awesome thing is that your new purchase will also play the DS back catalogue, so you can get stuff like Aliens Infestation, Soul Bubbles and the Dragon Quest titles all for small monies in your local Gamestop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Howard the Duck

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Keep your eyes on local markets, Adverts.ie and the like, 3DS games come up all the time and you might snatch a nice lot buy with some titles you almost certainly haven't gotten yet.
    The awesome thing is that your new purchase will also play the DS back catalogue, so you can get stuff like Aliens Infestation, Soul Bubbles and the Dragon Quest titles all for small monies in your local Gamestop

Cheers for the tips. I picked up Street Fighter 4 off adverts and got Mariokart DS and Ninja Gaiden in some markets in Kilkenny when I was there last weekend. Found the markets there much better than the ones in Dublin, less picked over.
    I'm trying not to buy too many games at once so I actually spend times trying to finish the ones I have already but it's tempting just to make an offer for every game i see on adverts!

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

Been thinking about picking up a 2ds as a 3ds would be fairly useless to me. (Eyesight)
    Would there be any point in picking one up now with the nx supposed to be launching in march?
    It would be my first bit of Nintendo kit since the original nes and I'd probably just start with a Pokémon game.

Been thinking about picking up a 2ds as a 3ds would be fairly useless to me. (Eyesight)
    Would there be any point in picking one up now with the nx supposed to be launching in march?
    It would be my first bit of Nintendo kit since the original nes and I'd probably just start with a Pokémon game.

I'd suggest you get the original 3DS XL, you can turn off the 3D feature with little impact on most games and it will give you the largest screens for the best price.
    They are not too expensive, you can pick one up on Adverts.ie for around €100, and you'll get to play the entire 3DS and DS back catalogue which is vast and full of great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

I'd suggest you get the original 3DS XL, you can turn off the 3D feature with little impact on most games and it will give you the largest screens for the best price.
    They are not too expensive, you can pick one up on Adverts.ie for around €100, and you'll get to play the entire 3DS and DS back catalogue which is vast and full of great games.

Spot on - i rarely have the 3D activated on my 3DS XL and get great use out of it. You'll want access to the biggest library of games possible i assume, and some of the new stuff is great.

I have an old Sega Dreamcast goodie bag packed with all of my DS and 3DS games, there is a stupid amount in there, and all killer, no filler.
    So good to collect for too, just stay away from flash cards, they'll make you feel like you have access to everything but, on the downside, you'll have access to everything.
    That's fine with the occasional translated hack of a Japanese game but, in the main, you'll just wind up with 1000's of games that you've played little more than 5 minutes of each.
    Better to buy one at a time and be invested in it, in every sense of the word.

First game really should be New Super Mario Bros, from the DS library, that game is outstanding and fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

Thanks guys. If I end up pulling the trigger I'll report back :)

Just finished the current Kirby game on 3ds. Pretty much the best use of 3D I've ever seen in a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Just finished the current Kirby game on 3ds. Pretty much the best use of 3D I've ever seen in a game.

Yep, it's absolutely brilliant. Some of the 3D animation on the mechs is fantastic.

Corholio wrote: »
    Yep, it's absolutely brilliant. Some of the 3D animation on the mechs is fantastic.

I loved the splat tastic fun of the ice cream level, just brilliant.
    Also, some great Shmup ideas in there too, using 3d to full effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Crazy exchange rate on £ mine eyes feel good for the first time in eight months to the bat mobile I go, aka the train to newry. Time for some sweet sweet Dragon Quest Vii. Might pick up Xenoblade 3d for £18 in CeX while I'm at it. Wonder does it play any differently when you're Xenophobic...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

My face when I saw Chase Cold Case investigations (the new title from former Cing alumni who made Hotel Dusk and Cape West) is out next week :cool: For €6 too :D

But when I saw River City Tokyo Rumble was €30 I was like :(

Dumb question but how do you earn them MyNintendo gold coins?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

ERG89 wrote: »
    My face when I saw Chase Cold Case investigations (the new title from former Cing alumni who made Hotel Dusk and Cape West) is out next week :cool: For €6 too :D

But when I saw River City Tokyo Rumble was €30 I was like :(

Dumb question but how do you earn them MyNintendo gold coins?

Buy digital stuff thats linked to your my Nintendo account.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Just got a 2DS with NSMB2 and few other games.. Was looking at the New Mario Party but it can't seem to find out if it has an online mode where you can play other people rather than CPU?

Was also looking to buy the New Metroid game as Metroid Prime Hunters was amazing years back playing online (is the servers still going for that?).. But again I am not sure if the online is just co op or PvP?...

Is Mario Kart really the online online multiplayer game worth getting ?

Just got a 2DS with NSMB2 and few other games.. Was looking at the New Mario Party but it can't seem to find out if it has an online mode where you can play other people rather than CPU?

Was also looking to buy the New Metroid game as Metroid Prime Hunters was amazing years back playing online (is the servers still going for that?).. But again I am not sure if the online is just co op or PvP?...

Is Mario Kart really the online online multiplayer game worth getting ?

Wait for federation force, its mostly trash. It is online co-op though, not much online PvP in terms of what you think.

Mario kart 7 is fine, wouldn't know how many people are still playing it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Wait for federation force, its mostly trash. It is online co-op though, not much online PvP in terms of what you think.

Mario kart 7 is fine, wouldn't know how many people are still playing it though.

Is federation force not out at the minute?... Playing through Zelda a link between world's at the minute, loving it haven't finished a Zelda game yet but did love the old ds titles I had...

Is federation force not out at the minute?... Playing through Zelda a link between world's at the minute, loving it haven't finished a Zelda game yet but did love the old ds titles I had...

No it is, I meant wait for it to be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I haven't ever really posted in this topic about my current 3DS playings, despite the fact that my 3DS has been my primary games console basically since it launched.

ATM I'm playing Chibi Robo Zip Lash and it swung (lul) very quickly from "This is really easy" to "Damn this is hard". I went through the entire first world basically without ever taking any damage, and now that I'm near the end of world 2 there are some sections I died 7 times in a row on.

I got the game for 15 euro in Smyths with the Amiibo, which is my first and only Amiibo. The mechanics of levelling it up and getting trophies is a bit extraneous, but (as I was a huge fan of park patrol) I like how the Amiibo is cute and actual size.

I am deffo not arsed to start collecting these Amiibo things though. I don't own any for my Wii U, which I assume Chibi Robo is not compatible with.

Other than Zip Lash, I am (as is my permanent state of being) playing the most recent monster hunter game (just got to High rank in Generations!) while dabbling in some recent VC purchases of Pokemon Blue and 3D Classics SOR2 (The latter definitely holds up, the former is a bit of a chore so far if I'm being honest).

I'm also regularly booting up Pokemon Shuffle, Badge Arcade and Picross, because I find their weird little free-to-play "play a few minutes every day" mechanics alarmingly compelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I haven't ever really posted in this topic about my current 3DS playings, despite the fact that my 3DS has been my primary games console basically since it launched.

ATM I'm playing Chibi Robo Zip Lash and it swung (lul) very quickly from "This is really easy" to "Damn this is hard". I went through the entire first world basically without ever taking any damage, and now that I'm near the end of world 2 there are some sections I died 7 times in a row on.
    I found that in a way too, I'm on World 3 I think I finished it, nice game to go back and forth to playing. The sand killed me the most lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭webpal

Will FIFA 17 be available on 3DS? Searched forums and google but cant find anything.

Advertisement