Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

It is time!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bring the noise Bring the funk baby, I'm too old for this crud.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Apologies guys if this has been asked before. My daughter has just bought her little fella a Nintendo 3DS XL for Xmas but there is nothing to charge it with. I have looked online and I see a that a charger and / or an adaptor is required but my question is are both required?

I checked the Argos website and the description for both seems to be pretty much the same so Im confused if either would do or are both required?

Thanks in advance :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

muffler wrote: »
    Apologies guys if this has been asked before. My daughter has just bought her little fella a Nintendo 3DS XL for Xmas but there is nothing to charge it with. I have looked online and I see a that a charger and / or an adaptor is required but my question is are both required?

I checked the Argos website and the description for both seems to be pretty much the same so Im confused if either would do or are both required?

This is all you need: http://www.checkargos.com/product/1071148. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

So I can't sleep from the excitement. Sun and moon are nowhere to be seen on Argos' website or on checkargos.com. Will they only update at 9am?

• Advertisement

Try after 5am I am waiting for a steel moon myself

The games are on Argos now for €41.99 each or €119.99 for the 2ds versions. No sign of the steel boxes at this time but Smyth's have them now as of 6:07am to click and collect for €54.99, too rich for my cheap self.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

I went into Dublin yesterday evening looking for Sun and Moon in Argos, to no avail. I ordered the steelbooks from Smyths for click and collect this morning before seeing the Argos links, but it turns out they're the same price and Sun isn't in stock nearby. Not sure how much I'll be able to play over the next few days, but I'm still a bit excited.

Argos are crap for not having g the item up the day before release to reserve it would make life so much easier, played sun for 2 hours last night it is deadly so far, felt like Pokemon Go with Spearow but some surprises. I have avoided most if not all spoilers so far so I won't post any more here, enjoy it when you get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Hi all looking for a little advise, 6 year old is looking for a 3ds for Xmas.
    Is he to young? Would the 2d do him ? Or is that dated now?
    Also any deals out there for one with a suitable game. Will they be on amazon for black Friday?
    Thanks.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Thanks very much for that Andrew. Im too old for these technical gadgets and while it seemed like a stupid question it was only stupid because I didnt know the answer :)

Appreciate the response.

meath4sam wrote: »
    Hi all looking for a little advise, 6 year old is looking for a 3ds for Xmas.
    Is he to young? Would the 2d do him ? Or is that dated now?
    Also any deals out there for one with a suitable game. Will they be on amazon for black Friday?
    Thanks.
    As posted above my daughter has got the 3DS XL for her son and he's 5 so she's fairly confident that it will be suitable. He already has a DS and plays a lot with it but its one of the older ones.

The other one is a charging cradle and the charger in one pack the one linked here is the official charger get that rather than the fake ones as they can be fragile.

The cradle is like an extra power bank which isn't necessary unless you are planning a long car trip then it may come in handy.

2DS is a 3DS without the 3D effect, but plays all the same games. It is not the older model - that's the DS. There's also a "New 3DS" which is a 3DS with slightly souped up hardware and an additional control stick. If money is no object, N3DS or N3DS XL (bigger screens) is the way to go.

Apparently Gamestop have 2DSes right now with MarioKart or Mario Bros. for around 55 quid. Or did, about a week ago. I'd expect - with the Switch around the corner - that you'll get a lot of good deals on the 3DS in the next few months but they may try to milk Christmas a bit before they liquidate.

I have a 7 year old. When she was 5 she could not have cared less if she was playing the old DS or a 3DS. Now she knows the difference and would not get palmed off with the older model. But she'd probably be happy enough with a 2DS. As it does not close, you're locked in to buying a case and teaching them the discipline to put it away when they're done with it or risk screen damage.

If you're taking the plunge I'd recommend Animal Crossing and Pokemon Sun or Moon, both are very friendly and the latter is hugely popular in schools at the moment. Also, can't go wrong with Mariokart.

Personally, my favourite thing about the unboxing of a 3DS is the AR cards. You put a card on the table, jack the 3D effect up to full and play a really cool brain- and reality-bending minigame that shows you how the 3D works. It's excellent on the original 3DS. I don't think the New 3DS comes with AR cards and the 2DS can't do it. But once you've seen it once you never use them again - it's probably not worth paying extra for that 2 1/2 minutes of wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Might nip in and trade my Pokemon Soul Silver.... seems to be good money and I don't play it.
    It's so expensive, wanted Gold but I've given up on the idea.

Thanks very much for that Andrew. Im too old for these technical gadgets and while it seemed like a stupid question it was only stupid because I didnt know the answer :)

Appreciate the response.

No such thing as a stupid question. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I cannot find Pokemon Sun on the Argos site to save my life!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I cannot find Pokemon Sun on the Argos site to save my life!!!

Deejay mains never stop having it rough!

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

It doesn't look like it's listed on the site, but it'll be on their system in stores. You should be able to check it online if you have the catalogue number despite its absence from the search results. I could get it for you in a few hours if that's any use.

• Advertisement

Deejay mains never stop having it rough!

If I buy Sun, they'll nerf all the Pokemon in it immediately afterwards.

Thar_Cian wrote: »
    It doesn't look like it's listed on the site, but it'll be on their system in stores. You should be able to check it online if you have the catalogue number despite its absence from the search results. I could get it for you in a few hours if that's any use.

Thanks, but I'll pop in later to get it.

It's not listed as Pokemon. It's Pokémon - the accent messes it up. Search for "Pokémon" or Look for Sun or Moon. Filter for Video Games and be ready to scroll.

3DS Sun and Moon Console
    2DS Sun Console
    2DS Moon console

Pokémon Sun collectors ed.
    Pokémon Moon Collectors Ed

Pokémon Sun

Pokémon Moon

For 1p you can add on a "free" poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Pokémon Sun in Argos:
    http://checkargos.com/product/5556920

Pokémon Sun steel case:
    http://checkargos.com/product/4877961

Pokémon Moon:
    http://checkargos.com/product/5716612

Pokémon Moon Steel Case:
    http://checkargos.com/product/4573777

Those of you looking at getting a 3DS for the kids, remember for young ones it's recommended to go into the parental settings and disable the 3D effect.

Star Lord wrote: »
    Pokémon Sun in Argos:
    http://checkargos.com/product/5556920

Pokémon Sun steel case:
    http://checkargos.com/product/4877961

Pokémon Moon:
    http://checkargos.com/product/5716612

Pokémon Moon Steel Case:
    http://checkargos.com/product/4573777

Those of you looking at getting a 3DS for the kids, remember for young ones it's recommended to go into the parental settings and disable the 3D effect.
    Can you just turn it off on a 3DS? My sister was asking me but I wouldn't know much about parental settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Can you just turn it off on a 3DS? My sister was asking me but I wouldn't know much about parental settings.

Yeah, you can disable it entirely in the parental settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

And switching it back on can be their Christmas present next year!

Forgot to post this earlier - I have a reservation code for the Pokemon Sun steel case version for Arklow if anyone needs it (just fire me a PM). Santa managed to get his hands on the normal version so Steel Case not needed.

Same here but for Moon steel case, Liffey valley. No longer needed. Expires tonight.

• Advertisement

Does the steel case have anything else?

Advertisement