Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Nice art in the inside of the box on both sides but no its just a spare box really, but like Mr Smithers I want it I want it I want it me me me. But its got a new hat!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Nice art in the inside of the box on both sides but no its just a spare box really, but like Mr Smithers I want it I want it I want it me me me. But its got a new hat!!!
    I prefer Lisa Lionheart tbh lol.
    I thought I saw online there was a little figure with it that's why I was asking,more tempting if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I got a spare sun steelbook set for €50 if anyone's looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭robojet

I prefer Lisa Lionheart tbh lol.
    I thought I saw online there was a little figure with it that's why I was asking,more tempting if it was.

Figurine pack was a Nintendo exclusive, though one or two vendors in Europe were offering it too (none in IE/UK though).

Is anyone else feeling underwhelmed by Pokemon Moon though? It just seems to lack the energy that Sapphire and Ruby had, feels like it drags along.

Sun is weird so far have yet to buy moon think I may leave it as one game is enough to go on, I still have DQ VII to play and Mario Maker is due soon too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Sun is weird so far have yet to buy moon think I may leave it as one game is enough to go on, I still have DQ VII to play and Mario Maker is due soon too.

Prepare for the long haul when you get round to dq7 bandit, my life right now i can only play maybe friday nights and it seems like ages since started dq and am mad to finish it as i really want to start persona q, mario galaxy or eternal darkness, cant wait for the christmas holidays so i can really binge on beer, pizza and videogames for hours on end, Dq is really good tho, the writing is excellent.

I am at the German island at the moment the far& away irish is hard to witness but some of the dialogue made me grin slightly. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

I am at the German island at the moment the far& away irish is hard to witness but some of the dialogue made me grin slightly. :D

Ah sure thats grand altogether :D

I've never played Fire Emblem.
    Thinking of getting the 3ds one, so would I go Birthright or Conquest?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I've never played Fire Emblem.
    Thinking of getting the 3ds one, so would I go Birthright or Conquest?

One of them is easier, so id go with the harder one or both. Yeah I'd go both.

• Advertisement

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    One of them is easier, so id go with the harder one or both. Yeah I'd go both.
    I can't get both atm, I'd go with the easier one first especially not playing it before. If it's too hard I'll just hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I can't get both atm, I'd go with the easier one first especially not playing it before. If it's too hard I'll just hate it.

Get awakening, would it not be cheaper and it's a great game with loads of content.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Was thinking of getting a 3ds, then while doing my research into it, I noticed there might be a new handheld coming out, but couldnt get any concrete news on it. you think I should give it a miss ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

Kal El wrote: »
    Was thinking of getting a 3ds, then while doing my research into it, I noticed there might be a new handheld coming out, but couldnt get any concrete news on it. you think I should give it a miss ??

Do you mean the Switch? It's kind of a hybrid home and portable and is coming out in March. They've said it's not replacing the 3DS but they said the same about the DS and GBA...

I'd still recommend getting a 3DS though. It doesn't look like the Switch will be backward compatible and some of the older models can be got reasonably cheaply now. When you combine the DS and 3DS there's one of the greatest libraries ever available.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭sbs2010

Hi,

What Pokemon game for the DS (dsi) would people recommend?

I don't know anything about what's available so if you have one in mind let me know if it's strategy, adventure or arcade or whatever.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

first thing to be aware of :
    The Pokemon games for the DSi have had all their online services shut down. So, no Dream World, no online battling, not trading or GTS.

So what, you might think.

Well, I'll list the games for you. You go check the price of those games and compare them to the cost of the latest game, Pokemon Sun/Moon and a 2DS and then tell me "so what" :D

For DSi your options are :
    Generation 4 : Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, Soul Silver, Heart Gold

Generation 5 : Black, White, Black 2, White 2

there's no point getting D/P if you can get Platinum. It's basically the same game with additional knobs on, more legendaries, more "formes" etc.

SS / HG are very expensive to get your hands on, but well worth it. Pokéwalker!

B/W/B2/W2 are probably the cheapest of the lot now, Argos frequently drop B/W2 to under €20. While they introduced a number of excellent new features a lot of them depended on an online presence that's been turned off and on a proto-type of Streetpass that won't work 'cause no one else is playing those games any more. Personally I enjoyed the Gen 4 games and the Gen 4 remakes (SS/HG) more.

Also, worth bearing in mind if you're going to go Full On Pokémon later on you need to have a Gen 5 game to act as your bridge to the Pokémon Bank (on a 3DS, not sure it's on DSi), which is how you get your pokemon from Gen 3 and up into the latest games.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Any game recommendations for a non pokemon fan?

Whoops, I'll just put this hornets nest back where I found it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

They're all rehashes of the same formula, all strategy games.

I'd personally start with HGSS, as Diamond, Pearl and Platinum are next in line for remakes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Any game recommendations for a non pokemon fan?

Whoops, I'll just put this hornets nest back where I found it! :D

I have Mario Kart 7 for my 3DS and I love it. Great for wasting time on the train to Cork. Easy to play and each race only lasts about 5mins so really helps the pick-up-and-play.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I have Mario Kart 7 for my 3DS and I love it. Great for wasting time on the train to Cork. Easy to play and each race only lasts about 5mins so really helps the pick-up-and-play.

That's probably one of the few that I never picked up.

I have my 3ds so long that I'm a 3ds ambassador :pac:
    But it must be about 2-3 years since I picked up a game for it!

The games I remember having are Street Fighter, one of the Fifa's, Mario 3d land, pilotwings, lego batman 3 and Hollywood Stories (cool little puzzler).

Been looking to get back into it for a while, but I need suggestions :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

So I was just reading another thread about the differences between 3ds and 2ds. My knowledge is obsolete on this, I would only use it for Pokemon/Zelda and Mario games. Would the 3ds be vital towards the experience :confused:

Nope, looks pretty in places but totally useless otherwise.

I don't even use it, it's cool but ultimately battery life is more important

If I remember correctly, none of the 3DS Pokemon games use 3D in-game. There may have been a couple of cut-scenes in X or Y but the game proper is 2D only.

However, the 2DS has the same computational innards as the original 3DS, and I gather that the 2 new games (Moon and Sun) suffer a little bit of slowdown on the old 3DS.

Zelda on the other hand uses the 3D really well in Link Between Worlds, you would be missing an absolute treat.

In before Ciderman has a Kirbygasm!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Banjo wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, none of the 3DS Pokemon games use 3D in-game. There may have been a couple of cut-scenes in X or Y but the game proper is 2D only.

However, the 2DS has the same computational innards as the original 3DS, and I gather that the 2 new games (Moon and Sun) suffer a little bit of slowdown on the old 3DS.

Zelda on the other hand uses the 3D really well in Link Between Worlds, you would be missing an absolute treat.

In before Ciderman has a Kirbygasm!

Kirby Triple Deluxe and Robobot are just superb in 3D
    Hop to around 00:50 to see what I mean

Found I have three Pokemon y two Omega ruby but no x or alpha sapphire for some bizzare reason.

Moon is not as good as Sun have played 20 hours on both now 15 on sun 5 on Moon, Mario Maker in two days can't wait.

Found I have three Pokemon y two Omega ruby but no x or alpha sapphire for some bizzare reason.

Moon is not as good as Sun have played 20 hours on both now 15 on sun 5 on Moon, Mario Maker in two days can't wait.

How is sun better?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

How is sun better?

Gives you a fine ole tan.

Gives you a fine ole tan.

Or a false sense of hope in this country

The clock on Moon is offset by 12 hours from your system clock. This means that, as an adult with a job, ironically it's normally day time in Moon and night time in Sun for me. Time of day affects what pokemon are available in an area and the encounter rate.

Other than that they seem to be the same game give or take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Banjo wrote: »
    The clock on Moon is offset by 12 hours from your system clock. This means that, as an adult with a job, ironically it's normally day time in Moon and night time in Sun for me. Time of day affects what pokemon are available in an area and the encounter rate.

Other than that they seem to be the same game give or take.

That's crazy, I did not know that (playing Sun, but my other half is playing Moon)

My bloody clock is already running two hours behind because that's more convenient for me to play Animal Crossing :pac:

Advertisement