Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I am about to come into ownership of a 3ds. If there was one game I should play what should it be, from 2 or 3ds

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

All the Pokemon ones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I am about to come into ownership of a 3ds. If there was one game I should play what should it be, from 2 or 3ds
    I'd say Super Mario 3d land.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Senran Kagura Burst!

I'm tired of being the only one....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Banjo wrote: »
    Senran Kagura Burst!

I'm tired of being the only one....

You're not the only one I'll have you know. It is weird but fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

What kinda games do you like, and are you an awful and boring person?

If you're not you should play any Monster Hunter game (if new to the series and only willing to purchase one game I'd recommend: 4 Ultimate, then 3 Ultimate, Then Generations

Resident Evil Revelations is fantastic, but I understand it was later ported to other consoles so it's not unique to 3DS.

Final Fantasty Theatrhythm curtain call and Rhythm Paradise Megamix are amazing rhythm games.

Fire Emblem Awakenings is a great turn based strategy.

Tom Clancy Shadow Ops (if that's the name) is a less great but still (I think) very good strategy game. The graphics, music and plot are all awful, but the mechanics and amount of content is excellent so it still balances out as very good. It is a launch game, so it should be super cheap to pick up now.

Dead or Alive Dimensions and Super Street Fighter IV are solid 3D and 2D fighting games respectively, and also launch games so probably super cheap now. There is also a weak Tekken port which I'd avoid.

Zelda: Link Between Worlds is the best newest Zelda, and is in the Nintendo Selects range, so it retails new for €20

Xenoblade Chronicles is an amazingly epic RPG with a billion years of content, but N3DS exclusive.

Take your pick!

3d land was on my radar, I've also never played ocarina of time.

Never thought about monster hunter actually. Interesting choice.

Damn envy you getting to play Ocarina it is awesome. Get it and lock yourself away for a few hours in a spare room.

The story will rope you in quite fast it is an epic game.

Get your hands on Chrono Trigger for DS if you can it is good fun, Dragon Quest VI and IX are quite cheap too VII was just released a while ago for 3DS its weird and wonderful and VIII is out in the new year, go for Pokemon X, Y or Alpha Sapphire over Sun and Moon as they are better to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

All the games.

• Advertisement

I've found ocarina of time for £13 new so that seems like a no brainer it seems

I've found ocarina of time for £13 new so that seems like a no brainer it seems

Where did you find that?
    Never thought about monster hunter actually. Interesting choice.

Monster Hunter is an amazing game series, and it's basically been a 3DS exclusive for the last few iterations.

4U is the best place to start, but 3U would be the cheapest as it is the oldest.

Don't play the MH demo! It's bewildering nonsense that doesn't reflect the highs and lows of the game proper! Read any of the right reverend UPB's sermons on the game, then dive in. And set aside enough time that you can plough through the introduction parts and get to your first reasonably sized monster.

Game have MH4 pre-owned for £14.99 + delivery, BTW
    http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/monster-hunter-4-ultimate-3ds-14-99-pre-owned-game-2568234

Where did you find that?

It's on Amazon and is part of that Nintendo select series of games

Probably a stupid question, but what's the story with the new 3ds? Is there anything out yet that only works on it and won't work on my "old" one?

Probably a stupid question, but what's the story with the new 3ds? Is there anything out yet that only works on it and won't work on my "old" one?
    Xenoblade Chronicles is an amazingly epic RPG with a billion years of content, but N3DS exclusive.

!

Also, all the SNES virtual console games are n3ds only. And The Binding of Isaac. And games like Monster Hunter and Resident Evil that use the 2nd stick on the n3DS would require a Circle Pad Pro attachment on the 3DS (no equivalent for 2DS far as I know) but it's optional.

Read any of the right reverend UPB's sermons on the game, then dive in.

Bless you my son.

*holy handsign of the Lagombi nipple twist*

Also, all the SNES virtual console games are n3ds only. And The Binding of Isaac. And games like Monster Hunter and Resident Evil that use the 2nd stick on the n3DS would require a Circle Pad Pro attachment on the 3DS (no equivalent for 2DS far as I know) but it's optional.

I wouldn't say that Monster Hunter REQUIRES a CPP, since they make allowances for the absence of the second stick with a virtual dpad on the touchscreen AND the target camera. It is obviously better WITH it, but I think it's totally playable without.

Resident Evil, while also technically playable without, I found a confusing mess without the second stick, so I'd definitely use it for that.

I believe some games like MH4U, MH Generations and Hyrule Warriors run faster/look better/have higher res textures/display more enemies than if you're playing on a regular peasant 3DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Just finished Luigi's Mansion, had a great time playing through this with my son, really terrific game!

Both new Fire Emblem games and Dragon Quest VII are €35 each in Smyth's now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Given that the Switch is due in March and appears to have mobile functionality, is it worth shelling out for a 3DS XL right now?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Given that the Switch is due in March and appears to have mobile functionality, is it worth shelling out for a 3DS XL right now?

The only thing that would stop me buying a 3DS is the possibility of a price drop, but that would still be a few months away.

The current library should be the deciding factor for you as it appears that the Switch will not be backwards compatible.

I currently have a PS4 and a Wii U but the 3DS is my favourite console. There is a great selection of genres to suit all moods, especially if you like RPGs.

Given that it is backwards compatible with the DS library makes it a no brainer.

Monstrous console.

Pac1Man wrote: »
    3DS is my favourite console. There is a great selection of genres to suit all moods, especially if you like RPGs.

Given that it is backwards compatible with the DS library makes it a no brainer.

Monstrous console.

Agreed. It's been my most played console by a wide margin since it launched.

It seems blindingly obvious, but it's also portable! So you can play it anywhere! I feel like this is a huge and understated aspect of the console. Local multiplayer with people is fantastic fun, a lot of games only require one person to own a copy of the game and everyone gets their own screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I'm extremely pleased to see the Pokemon game prices in cex and **** have come down.

I'm extremely pleased to see the Pokemon game prices in cex and **** have come down.

Still not cheap though, need me a sub 35 x and as

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I think thats as cheap as Pokemon gets right now. Which is miles better than the 75 quid odd they were asking for X in the summer.

Why would you wait for CEX? It's 35 or less online (for X & Y anyway).

I think there was a good price in sainsburys for X and Y. Well, not amazing but 25 or 27ish sterling. And Sprucefield only had Y...

BTW if anyone sees a reasonable price on Diamond, my cart is dead but I have the save backed up - that one had hundreds of hours on it and is my gateway to Pokemon Ranch... please let me know

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Why would you wait for CEX? It's 35 or less online (for X & Y anyway).

In CeX I can use my super secret rainman autistic economics to get it cheaper. :p

• Advertisement

I'm intrigued!

Advertisement