Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I opened mine but it turned to be dunnes own brand water. Be careful there's a lot ofnfak about there now.

It's just shockin Joe, shockin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Hang on, I think I missed something. I thought we hated the scalpers and pitied the poor unfortunates who couldn't get a NES Mini at RRP. Now we hate people who didn't pre-order or camp on CheckArgos for that one day when stock reappeared, and scalpers are lovable rogues who keep us on our toes?

Wow. Thanks, Trump!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Banjo wrote: »
    Hang on, I think I missed something. I thought we hated the scalpers and pitied the poor unfortunates who couldn't get a NES Mini at RRP. Now we hate people who didn't pre-order or camp on CheckArgos for that one day when stock reappeared, and scalpers are lovable rogues who keep us on our toes?

Wow. Thanks, Trump!

A real Nintendo fan pre orders the pre order. Get rekt scrubs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Notavirus.exe

Warning to all 3DS owners - DO NOT violently open and close your 3DS's lid repeatedly.

I broke my 3DS XL's top screen ribbon cable doing that. My 3DS XL is currently in the UK at Nintendo's repair place and I'm waiting to hear back from them to see if they'll fix it.

Nintendo made the 2DS for kids and idiots like me...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The hinge has always been the weak spot in the DS/3DS/GBA:SP design.
    But I've never broken one, despite using one since launch, in each case.
    Just take it a little easy.

You might have been better off ordering a screen online and fitting it yourself, certainly cheaper.

• Advertisement

I've never broken a hinge, but I broke a screen on my GBA SP when I was 10/11. I used to put my finger inbetween the screen and the bottom bit and press down till one the screen got that black crack thing.

I've never broken a hinge, but I broke a screen on my GBA SP when I was 10/11. I used to put my finger inbetween the screen and the bottom bit and press down till one the screen got that black crack thing.

Jaysus...

Feckin kids in here Ted.....

I had a Gameboy, at launch, when I was 18 or so!
    45 now and still buying.
    I do get some odd looks, buying Yoshi's Woolly world for the 3DS with a receding hairline and a big grey beard!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Jaysus...

Feckin kids in here Ted.....

I had a Gameboy, at launch, when I was 18 or so!
    45 now and still buying.
    I do get some odd looks, buying Yoshi's Woolly world for the 3DS with a receding hairline and a big grey beard!

You sure you can see that screen there old man, on the handheld? :pac:

The hinge has always been the weak spot in the DS/3DS/GBA:SP design.
    But I've never broken one, despite using one since launch, in each case.
    Just take it a little easy.

You might have been better off ordering a screen online and fitting it yourself, certainly cheaper.

It's free to send it to Nintendo. They give you a postage label and will inspect the console for free. I haven't paid money yet.

You have to curl up the screen ribbon cable with the ribbon cable for the camera and speakers into a tube shape and put it through the hinge. I wouldn't attempt it if my life depended on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I never understood why companies cant design a way to pass a cable through a hinge in such a way that it doesnt wear out and break down, its happened on every laptop Ive had, my original DS and the FM antenna cable which bizarrely passes through the folding seats and the boot hinge on my fathers Audi. Its left me with a bit of a hinge phobia tbh, I never close my laptop or 3DS these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

New Japanese Hey! Pikmin Introduction Video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EK7a2TIAs7s

It looks very good, much better than my earlier impressions of the game.

My problem is I've lots of great 2d platform games for my DS/3DS and they've not been played, this will just wind up on the pile!
    Still buying it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Corholio wrote: »

Woohoo!
    Another Etrian Odyssey game to add to my collection of Etrian Odyssey games I own but have yet to actually play properly!
    I have the original, 2nd one and the 4th one, in physical carts, as well as Etrian Odyssey Untold as a digital download.

They have confirmed since they they will be in both physical and digital versions.

It is a most gorgeous game, and a most western of Japanese role playing games, the gameplay really hearkening back to drawing dungeons on grid paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Corholio wrote:
    They have confirmed since they they will be in both physical and digital versions.

Considering how sh!te a job Deep Silver did with getting copies of Persona 5 to retail I'm glad for fans there is a digital choice.
    Persona was the only game I can remember debuting a no.1 first week on sale & then not making the top 40 the next week. I was lucky to book the last copy in Argos at 7 am on the day of release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

ERG89 wrote: »
    Considering how sh!te a job Deep Silver did with getting copies of Persona 5 to retail I'm glad for fans there is a digital choice.
    Persona was the only game I can remember debuting a no.1 first week on sale & then not making the top 40 the next week. I was lucky to book the last copy in Argos at 7 am on the day of release.
    It took my nearly a month to get a copy and in the end I had to go into Gamestop and buy it *shudder* Argos only did PS4.
    My copy from Amazon France went walkies and I had to wait for them to decide it was missing.

It's free to send it to Nintendo. They give you a postage label and will inspect the console for free. I haven't paid money yet.

You have to curl up the screen ribbon cable with the ribbon cable for the camera and speakers into a tube shape and put it through the hinge. I wouldn't attempt it if my life depended on it.

UPDATE: Around the same time I posted this, I sent my 3DS XL to Nintendo. A week after posting it, it arrived at their UK repair place (they hire a 3rd party repair shop, Nintendo don't fix it themselves). They inspected the console and emailed me a bill for £72.50 (or whatever their major repairs cost is), I paid it.

Ever since the 16th of May, the repair status has said "Repair held - awaiting parts". It's taking a long time for these parts to arrive.

I plan on contacting Nintendo by phone and asking them to replace my 3DS XL's red faceplates with black ones while they're at it. Anyone know if Nintendo would do that?

I'll post here when I get it back, not that anyone cares...

That's a savage price right there.
    Was it a New 3DS XL?
    Because you would have bought a preowned regular 3DSXL for about €110, not too much more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I think that's the "big repair" price, 45 is the "small repair". For that money you retain all street pass data and save games for digital purchases, which if you're a Pokemon player is priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Are we allowed to discuss CFW stuff once its not the general piracy sthuff lads?

That's a savage price right there.
    Was it a New 3DS XL?
    Because you would have bought a preowned regular 3DSXL for about €110, not too much more.

It is a regular 3DS XL. Not only that, but it is running firmware 9.2.0-20E, which makes it more valuable. I'll let you figure out why.

FINAL UPDATE: I rang Nintendo on Monday of this week asking why it's taking so long. The rep said he'd contact the repair team for an update or something. The next day the repair status changed to "repair completed". The repair guys gave it to DPD (delivery service) on Wednesday who delivered it to my door today (Thursday).

I'm not sure, but it seems like they forgot about my 3DS XL or they coincidentally finished the repair the next day after I rang complaining. Anyway, apart from the 1 month wait, this has been the best customer service experience I have ever had. Nintendo FTW!

If you wanna see what it was like when I opened the package, this video I found will show you. https://youtu.be/APbz0VKzYOY

Are we allowed to discuss CFW stuff once its not the general piracy sthuff lads?

I read the rules in the charter (a few posts down), you can apparently discuss CFW as long as you aren't solely talking about the ability to pirate stuff.

Also, Nintendo are mass banning people who are using CFW. This has been happening for the last month. I wouldn't go near CFW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Ever Oasis demo just went live on the eshop if anyone wants to give it go, its from the same company that did the zelda remasters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I read the rules in the charter (a few posts down), you can apparently discuss CFW as long as you aren't solely talking about the ability to pirate stuff.

Also, Nintendo are mass banning people who are using CFW. This has been happening for the last month. I wouldn't go near CFW.

Ended up just chancing my arm with the Q I was going to ask, 3DS doesn't get any use these days so I figured I'd at least get the use of GBA emulation out of it.

AFAIK there's a few precautions to cover being banned if you're lucky, I unlinked my NNID anyways. I'm not too fussed if the 3DS gets banned from the eShop or anything.

Cheers though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tomsaw

i love it so fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7 Digitalirish

I only have ZELDA AND Pokemon on my DS. I personally cant wait for pokemon gold and silver i think they are the best games in the entire line of pokemon games. Gotta survive till nov!

Sorry to bore people by continuing to talk about my 3DS XL that I sent to Nintendo to repair. I noticed that the engineer made a hiccup when reassembling the shell. Basically, when you remove the back cover, the battery is there and there's a black plastic plate thing covering the motherboard. That is loose bedside the volume button, so I can stick my finger nails in between the backplate and the main shell and pull the black plastic plate away from the motherboard (because the backplate is screwed into it).

That probably sounds confusing, but I've taken the backplate off and made sure the screws holding the black plate were tight and they were. There may be a clip inside but pushing the shell and the black plate together make no difference. I'll be ringing Nintendo Monday morning.

Once again, sorry for hogging the thread with my blog posts.

One more thing - Nintendo gave me a 1 year warranty on my 3DS XL for free with the repair. Forgot to mention that. The price for the repair is looking more and more reasonable.

EDIT: When I say "backplate" I mean the back cover. When I say "black plate", I mean the second cover under that.

• Advertisement

The Limited Edition of Metroid: Samus Returns has been revealed.

Want. Want. Want.

dc8okkgxoaamguqccui7.jpg

Advertisement