Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,582 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

SCamiibo strike again.

Nintendo officially confirms that Metroid: Samus Returns’ Fusion mode can only be unlocked with amiibo

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-officially-confirms-that-metroid-samus-returns-fusion-mode-can-only-be-unlocked-with-amiibo/

You need four amiibo to get everything Metroid: Samus Returns has to offer

Including a new difficulty level, art gallery and soundtrack mode.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-26-metroid-samus-returns-has-exclusive-content-for-four-amiibo

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

sligeach wrote: »
    SCamiibo strike again.

Nintendo officially confirms that Metroid: Samus Returns’ Fusion mode can only be unlocked with amiibo

http://nintendoeverything.com/nintendo-officially-confirms-that-metroid-samus-returns-fusion-mode-can-only-be-unlocked-with-amiibo/

You need four amiibo to get everything Metroid: Samus Returns has to offer

Including a new difficulty level, art gallery and soundtrack mode.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-26-metroid-samus-returns-has-exclusive-content-for-four-amiibo

I don't have a Nintendo console at the minute but I do plan on getting a switch at some stage, but every time I come in here you seem to be complaining about something.

As far as I can see Amiibo are like DLC for a game? But you also get the benefit of having a little figurine as well? So what's the the problem with having additional content linked to Amiibo? Are they expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,582 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Maybe look at the comment section of those articles and other Nintendo sites to see what people think of this.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-07-26-metroid-samus-returns-has-exclusive-content-for-four-amiibo?page=comments

It's paying for content that was normally free. Not just that but it's €60 for basic stuff and the 2 newer amiibo are mostly sold out. If you do find them, they're at hiked prices. It's paywalling content, day 1 that's already on the cartridge.

sligeach wrote: »
    It's paying for content that was normally free.

But in the past what you got in the box was what you got. In the last 10 years DLC and add ons became the norm, this isn't something new?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I don't have a Nintendo console at the minute but I do plan on getting a switch at some stage, but every time I come in here you seem to be complaining about something.

As far as I can see Amiibo are like DLC for a game? But you also get the benefit of having a little figurine as well? So what's the the problem with having additional content linked to Amiibo? Are they expensive?

One key difference. You can buy DLC.
    Good luck getting a Metroid amiibo for rrp if you didn't preorder before the functionality was announced.

• Advertisement

Banjo wrote: »
    One key difference. You can buy DLC.
    Good luck getting a Metroid amiibo for rrp if you didn't preorder before the functionality was announced.

Why? Are they limited run or just make enough of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Why? Are they limited run or just make enough of them?

Nintendo hates money and success.

Nintendo hates money and success.

I had read about the shortages of the Switch, if they had of had the stock I don't doubt they could have easily sold another 2m+ devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I had read about the shortages of the Switch, if they had of had the stock I don't doubt they could have easily sold another 2m+ devices.

they currently sell out as fast as they come in.

in japan, they have a lottery when they get stock in

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Unlocking the hard mode JUST with the amiibo is not the way to go alright. If it could be unlocked by beating the game as well, like a lot of games do, then that would have been a lot better. It should never be an 'only' thing with anything substantial, which most of the time it hasn't been, there should be an optional way of getting substantial content. Overall amiibo are fine but things like this shouldn't be only locked behind the figure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Whatever you can get with the amiibo should be available to buy as dlc for cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It probably will be available at some stage if not Amiibo card it, yarr a pirates life for me.

Guess how much I got a PAL copy of The World Ends With You for today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Guess how much I got a PAL copy of The World Ends With You for today?

...well? Don't leave us hanging! Oh okay my guess is, hmm €20. Now I want answers! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I've got so many people blocked on this thread now, damn the trolllolololol thread, just bought Super Mario World on store for €4 bought Earthbound too, have never played it but Mario is just too much fun.

...well? Don't leave us hanging! Oh okay my guess is, hmm €20. Now I want answers! :pac:

Lower.

Also, 2DS XL stuff.

- looks nice
    - Feels good
    - Very clicky buttons, feels good
    - much lighter than the N3DS XL

- Top screen is wobbly
    - Speakers are on the bottom of the console
    - Stylus is tiny

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

I just bought the 2ds XL for my soon to be 6 year old. Games wise I'll probably pick up New Super Mario Bros 2 and one of either Pokemon Sun or Moon - any recommendations on which one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Shred wrote: »
    Pokemon Sun or Moon - any recommendations on which one?

i dont think it matters which pokemon game you choose unless your 6 year old prefers one legendary over the other (on the cover) and also make note that the in game time is + 12 hours depending on which game you choose, meaning sun will be the 3ds internal clock normally and moon will be + 12 hours making it night during the day and day during the night. it just means that different pokemon can be captured at nighttime then daytime you can always change the time on the 3ds's clock anyways if its a problem.

Sound, thanks for that. I've never been a Pokemon player and haven't much time to go through the ins and outs of the games atm.

• Advertisement

I'd recommend any previous pokemon game over Sun and Moon. They are incredibly dull, owing to the massive amounts of over-long unskippable cut-scenes with button-press-advanced dialog, and the over-reliance on hand-holding.

X and Y were ok, Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are remakes with the X/Y engine and some of the QOL improvements. Unless your kid specifically wants one of Sun or Moon I'd go with one of the ORAS games.

(Bear in mind that sun and moon (SuMo) are gen 7, ORAS and XY are gen 6. There are more pokemon in SuMo, all current events are SuMo, and later this year the sequels (Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon) will be released.)

Yeah I was flicking through this and there's a varying opinions alright - there's a few suggestions of X & Y for beginners, but the OR/AS games will do the trick if you think they're a better starting point.
    I'm sure any of them will be a hit but I suppose what I'm looking for is something that will be the most accessible to a 6 year old as their first Pokemon game and not be too challenging/frustrating and put them off.

Well, ORAS are closer to the "classic" pokemon experience. However, X and Y were very good for not making you grind on your way to the E4, as long as you pick a half decent team they will be levelled up and ready to go by the time you hit the end of the game. X/Y might make the most sense in a vacuum even if arguably ORAS are better.

At 6 years old, judging by my own kids (one now 8 has been playing since she was 6 off and on, one just turned 6) I'd say it's very important that you take an interest early - there's a lot to learn, there's a lot of reading, there's a lot of nonsensical names that could cause them trouble. As a parent who wants them to play games, I would go out and at least review the basic mechanics of combat, how types match up and know where to find a walkthrough so when they get stuck you can make unsticking them seem like a calm and straightforward process, otherwise it can be overwhelming. Specifically all the reading in the first hour or two of the game - you may want to sit with them for that bit if theyre just out of Jnr Infants

(Or, like me, spend the last 2 decades preparing for this moment so that when (s)he gets a Pokemon Encyclopedia for christmas they spend the rest of their little lives trying unsuccessfully to catch you out on who would win, who evolves from who and which reason is this guy from questions :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Persona Q 2 announced for 3ds
    This is a sequel to 2014's Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth, a rather excellent game that blended Etrian Odyssey ideas with cast members from Persona 3 and 4. Based on the teaser image it looks like characters from Sony-exclusive Persona 5 will feature this time around.
    original.jpg]

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/08/persona_q2_is_confirmed_for_nintendo_3ds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Shred wrote: »
    I just bought the 2ds XL for my soon to be 6 year old. Games wise I'll probably pick up New Super Mario Bros 2 and one of either Pokemon Sun or Moon - any recommendations on which one?

I'm gonna go against my boy Banjo's recommendation, even though I love him, and say to just get Sun or Moon.

It's kind of like a nice reboot to the pokemon formula, and it cuts out a lot of fluff the previous games had that didn't need to be there anymore like HMs.

Plus for people new to the series who (quite reasonably) don't know the typing for all 700+ pokemon, once you beat a pokemon once, the game will remember and from that point onward tell you which of your attacks are effective/ineffective.

The only thing I think would be maddeningly frustrating is the new mechanic where wild pokemon call for help from a second pokemon, and you can only catch pokemon while there's one on the field. This can literally go on for infinity and permanently prevent you from capturing either one. In this situation tell your kid you need to inflict the pokemon with a primary status condition to stop them from calling for help: Sleep, Freeze, Poison, Burn or Paralysis. It's the only way to stop it.

My other half was further ahead in the games than me when we were both playing them, and nearly threw her 3DS against a wall when a wild pokemon she wanted to catch called for help 14 times in a row and neither of us had figured out how to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'd echo UberPrinny and say get Sun or Moon (doesn't matter which one) long time Pokémon fan and I thought they were great.

The game letting you know how effective your moves will be after the first battle against a pokemon is pretty useful for beginners

That call for help thing... the worst thing is that there are specific pokemon you can only catch if you let other pokemon call for help endlessly until one shows up. It's maddening.

I guess if you don't know any better, you won't see many of the problems with SuMo and some of the improvements are excellent. But for a 5-going-on-6 year old you're putting a lot of strain on their reading ability and patience... I know my just-turned-6-year-old wouldn't stick it.

Thanks for all of the replies folks, I went ahead and ordered Omega Ruby earlier. Assuming this is a hit I've no doubt more will be bought down the line!

And yes Banjo, I'll absolutely be taking an active interest and helping out as they progress.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Anyone but the new Pikmin game?
    Is it any good??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Reviews seem to say that it's not much of a challenge at all, but most of the charm is still there.
    Saying that, I did enjoy the (short) demo of it.

Advertisement