Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The young fella has nearly worn out his 2DS over the past two years, contrary to expectations his Ipad Mini has gone barely played over 2017, as the depth of gameplay available on the Nintendo has far outstripped what the tablet can offer.
    Hence, he is playing DQ:MJ2 and Bravely Second, not to mention the Ace Attorney series over the year.
    I'd say the 2DS:XL is going to go down a treat this Xmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thanks for the feedback

Might see if I can pick a second hand one up

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Is the 3DS still a good purchase these days?

Looking for a treat for myself to help with the commute

If you feel like slumming it there was a deal on the 2DS + bundled game (Mariokart, nSMB2 or Tamodachi life) + another game from the budget range (including Luigis Mansion 2, SM3DL, LoZ:aLBW and Kirby Triple Deluxe) for around £80. The 2DS is ugly, and it's slower than the n2/3DS, and maybe the button placement isn't stellar but if you're undecided and a bit non-committal it's a great little stopgap for the cost of a couple of nights out.

Ah - it's Argos. £80 in the UK, €100-110 (premium for the new Super Mario Bros 2 version).
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5985931/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CVideo+games%7C14419738/Trail/searchtext%3E2DS.htm#tab3

Caveat - the 3DS's big advantage is that it packs a lot of gameplay options into your pocket. The original 2DS is even less likely to fit in your pocket than a Switch is, and if you're going to have to carry it around in a bag anyway don't you deserve the best...?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Guys.

Santa bringing one (3DS) to the Shaw household.

Anyone any ideas of the best prices out there?

Even in a bundle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

I bought my first 3DS soon after its launch, when it barely had any standout titles and cost €250. I did enjoy what I had back then, when I wasn't even two digits old, which just included Ridge Racer 3D and PES 2011 3D. As I was a huge football fan back then, I played the hell out of PES and its Champions League mode. I wouldn't be interested in it now since my interest in football wore out 5 years ago. As for Ridge Racer, I don't have much to remember about it. As I bought the 3DS at its launch price, I got 10 games as part of the Ambassador Program. 2 games I remember getting were Metroid (NES) and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Too bad I didn't get The Minish Cap though.

In November of that year, I fondly remember getting Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D in Game, back it was still open. Other games I got prior to selling it included Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Paper Mario: Sticker Star.

After not using it for several months on end, I sold the 3DS and its games for less than I was expecting in order to save up for a PC, which I built in August 2014.

In 2015 and 2016, I got a huge craving for Zelda, and wanted to get a 3DS again so I could play A Link Between Worlds. In February 2016, I finally got a New 3DS XL along with ALBW, and I damn enjoyed the game. It was refreshing being able to choose what order to tackle the game's dungeons. I beat it in less than 3 days with 19 hearts! Short, but sweet game.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

Didnt want to hijack the other posts question, so thought i'd ask here. Is it worth getting a 2DS XL or 3DS XL or should i just wait a few months and get the Switch on sale. Like it would be pokemon and a few Mario games id mostly want so i'm not 100% on what to do.

irishman86 wrote: »
    Didnt want to hijack the other posts question, so thought i'd ask here. Is it worth getting a 2DS XL or 3DS XL or should i just wait a few months and get the Switch on sale. Like it would be pokemon and a few Mario games id mostly want so i'm not 100% on what to do.

If you're looking at the DS lineup, then I'd recommend the New 2DS XL if you don't mind its slightly odd design. It does away with the less-than-perfect 3D and thus cuts its price tag.

As for games, there's more on the 2/3DS than what the Switch has to offer right now.
    If you badly want Super Mario Odyssey and/or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, then I can suggest the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

More likely to find new 3ds xl on sale on black friday, the switch is very unlikely to be on sale reduced anywhere soon, most nintendo hardware doesn't get reduced the new 3ds xl older models may however just so shops like Argos or Gamestop can clear them. New 2ds xl is too recent to go one sale imo, the original 2ds is €100 in argos with a free game these are very fragile machines though so I'd go for a new 2ds xl the pokeball edition is out next Friday looks class.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Thar_Cian

Wasn't sure where to post this, but it's for a 3DS game, so . . .

Does anyone have experience with cancelling an in-store game pre-order with Smyths?

Yes it's non refundable as of the last while they're playing hardball in some stores did you pay in full of just €5 if the latter try pass it on if the former not sure. they're getting a bit rough round the edges in some stores.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Anyone got the skinny on some 3DS bundles around town?

Hold your horses till next week. Black Friday is the 24th, and in the run up to it, and the roll over to "cyber monday" there's bound to be a better deal than what you're seeing right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Banjo wrote: »
    Hold your horses till next week. Black Friday is the 24th, and in the run up to it, and the roll over to "cyber monday" there's bound to be a better deal than what you're seeing right now.

Didn't even think of Black Friday, nice shout. Bit desperate to catch up on the last couple of Pokemon games since replaying B2/SS on me holidays.

Grab the 2DS XL Pokemon Edition and Ultra Moon, both out tomorrow. It's the end of the 3DS era for Pokemon. There's no saving to be had, but who needs cash when you have a console that looks like you left a pokeball in your lunchbox on the back window of your car and it melted?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭AMGer

I got the 2DS XL Pokeball edition on Friday. Honestly I’d take the 2DS XL over the 3DS XL anyday. Much lighter, much less bulky, without a compromise on the screen sizes. It just has a nicer feel to it IMO.
    For anyone torn between the two for Xmas - €70 price difference and you get the AC adaptor free with the 2DS XL - I’m surprised at how much I prefer it to the 3DS XL

Managed to get the game but medical bills cost too much so no pokeball 2ds or snes mini until after Christmas now, there is a serious lag for ultra sun on a regular 3ds xl.

I was always puzzled about the exclusion of the AC adaptor from the New 3DS XL.

They haven't changed the charger since the dsi so they are of the understanding most homes will have a charger already.

And that the N3DSXL's costs needed to be kept down so that it wouldn't be unreachable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I still don't like the 2DS XL! What can you do.

• Advertisement

What are your problems with it?

I find the top screen far too flimsy, and the circle pad feels a bit... off compared to the normal N3DS XL. I always feel like its less sturdy than the regular 3DS consoles, more so than Nintendo usually does.

I never owned a 2DS, just the DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, the original 3DS and the New 3DS XL.

Fecking new 3ds xl keeps acting up with ultra sun the stupid error message hold down the power button, it's a monster hunter 4 new xl the cartridge slot can be stubborn every so often but damn it I've just lost 3 hours of play on the game, Google says it may be the wifi card is loose but the Internet always connects fine so not sure whether to dump it and go for a 2ds xl or not now.

That's the message you get if you press the power button?
    Maybe click the button a few times, make sure it's not stuck. Also make sure there's nothing magnetic that could be tripping the Reed switch and making it think the screen is closed?

No its a glitch on the console I think ultra sun works on my bashed 3ds xl fine but the new 3ds xl seems finicky, damn insomnia I can't get no sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

No its a glitch on the console I think ultra sun works on my bashed 3ds xl fine but the new 3ds xl seems finicky, damn insomnia I can't get no sleep.

Hit the music!

h4A227056

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Some help needed and would be appreciated. My wife's granny has given us a Nintendo DSi XL that she had for our 4 year old - her bigger brother is getting a Swicth for Xmas and we wanted her to have something smaller to play while he and his cousin are on their Switchs.

The one she has given us is identical to...

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DSi-Bundle-Green/dp/B004AH1JK4

Will this play 3ds games?

Lemlin wrote: »
    Some help needed and would be appreciated. My wife's granny has given us a Nintendo DSi XL that she had for our 4 year old - her bigger brother is getting a Swicth for Xmas and we wanted her to have something smaller to play while he and his cousin are on their Switchs.

The one she has given us is identical to...

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-DSi-Bundle-Green/dp/B004AH1JK4

Will this play 3ds games?

Nope, DS games only.

• Advertisement

Advertisement