Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a 3DS/DS - general discussion.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

TL:DR no more standard New 3DS XL's.

No more old XLs (non new)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Pac1Man wrote: »
    No more old XLs (non new)?

They haven’t made those since the ‘New’ ones came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

The New 2DS XL has been selling.

How do you feel about the little control nub on the New 2/3DSes?

Pokemon Crystal is available on the e-shop tomorrow! Not sure I'll go for it myself, might wait for the inevitable switch release.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Pokemon Crystal is available on the e-shop tomorrow! Not sure I'll go for it myself, might wait for the inevitable switch release.
    Had to buy it, my favourite Pokemon. My friends cousin has my original cart, think I got another one but 3DS is much easier. Should get a back-lit GBA maybe, SP where the cart is it really annoyed me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Finally got myself the SNES 3DS XL over the weekend and it's a lovely bit of kit. Had the standard size New 3DS so the screen size is a bit of an upgrade on it and I was able to do the system transfer easily so all my digital games and saves moved over.

Now I have a white New 3DS sitting around and rather than sell it I was thinking of putting on custom Firmware to tinker about with emultation and homebrew. Has anyone done it and how easy is it?

I've been playing quite a bit of 3DS recently and I just can't... whats the word. Get it into now? I'm used to the Switch now, and I find the 3DS quite uncomfortable to hold these days, referring specifically to the XL models of the 3DS/2DS. Shame it seems like a reasonable amount of games will be exclusive on there for the foreseeable future till Nintendo gets its VC act together.

It felt a bit weird going back to the 3DS after several hours of constantly playing the Switch. Although I don't have much problems using the 3DS now.

I don't think I could ever get tired of the 3DS. Too many great games played and to be played.

It offers a different type of portable experience to the Switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Now I have a white New 3DS sitting around and rather than sell it I was thinking of putting on custom Firmware to tinker about with emultation and homebrew. Has anyone done it and how easy is it?

It's fairly easy on the old 3DS, think the new ones take a bit more tinkering.

3ds.guide is your friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just back playing the 3ds myself. Samus Returns. Getting used to it again quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 29,043 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Well my left thumb's feeling the long session of playing and finishing Samus Returns last night/this morning.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Well my left thumb's feeling the long session of playing and finishing Samus Returns last night/this morning.

My right one is feeling it. Want to co-op?

As good as the 3DS is, those quick reaction games don't really suit it over a long play session. It's a monstrous RPG machine though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I'm finally going to pick one of these up, mainly to play Ocarina of Time and A Link Between Worlds. I drive to work so will only be playing in the evenings. I'm just wondering whether I should go for the 2ds or 3ds for those games? Thanks.

ALBW's likely my favourite 2D Zelda. I'm not as big a fan of OoT though, despite being a great game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

ALBW's likely my favourite 2D Zelda. I'm not as big a fan of OoT though, despite being a great game.

Link to the Past is the best 2D LoZ game, what the deck are you smoking to disagree wheresmahbombs???

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Link to the Past is the best 2D LoZ game, what the deck are you smoking to disagree wheresmahbombs???

It's just a matter of opinions :D. I never stated the objective best.

Taking off the nostalgia goggles, ALBW is better than ALTTP in almost every way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I don't know who you people are anymore....

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

As someone who played ALTTP years after it came out, it's been surpassed by nearly every other Zelda game since then.

Sure it was amazing for it's time but you line it up against subsequent games in the series and give them to someone who's never played any of, them, it's going to be pretty low down the list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

As someone who played ALTTP years after it came out, it's been surpassed by nearly every other Zelda game since then.

Sure it was amazing for it's time but you line it up against subsequent games in the series and give them to someone who's never played any of, them, it's going to be pretty low down the list.

Ooh I dare you to post that over in A&R! :P :P

Ciderman & Inviere, I can picture you now...

20-Funny-Shocked-Cat-Memes-3.jpg

LTTP gave us the Zelda formula we've been accustomed to, until Breath of the Wild came. We can say it was quite influential.

LTTP gave us the Zelda formula we've been accustomed to, until Breath of the Wild came. We can say it was quite influential.

No, you can say it was quite influential, we can say it was the game of the gods!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

ALTTP is a masterpiece. I couldn't get into ALBW mind you

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    No, you can say it was quite influential, we can say it was the game of the gods!

Game of the gods... Triforce of the Gods (the JP title). Was that an intentional reference?

I don't really have any nostalgia with the game. It's still a really good game, unarguably.

manual_man wrote: »
    ALTTP is a masterpiece. I couldn't get into ALBW mind you

To each their own. I do prefer the atmosphere and colour palette of LTTP, however.

A confession...

I have yet to finish A Link to the Past.....

But it's still amazing.

Prefer Super Metroid tbh.

Which is a sequel to Metroid.

Which is based on LoZ II!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

To each their own. I do prefer the atmosphere and colour palette of LTTP, however.

ALTTP just gripped me from the get go. The mood. The music. The sense of foreboding evil. The sense of adventure. It was just insanely good. It had a kind of intensity and urgency that just dragged you along with it. To be fair there are very few games that can evoke those types of feelings, which is why ALTTP is still so revered to this day. Majoras Mask is the only other Zelda game that gripped me in a similar way being caught up in the storyline and mood. BOTW I enjoyed but for VERY different reasons.

MM's story is easily one of, if not the best in the series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Radiant Historia: Perfect Chronology is out tomorrow, it is a enhanced remake of one of my favorite DS games, the original never got a EU release either.

Advertisement